Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 04:37:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Poll
Question: Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?
Yes

No

They took R Jobs!!!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Will the GOP ever appeal to Minorities?  (Read 28019 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »

Since Hispanics are supposed to be the Majority within the next 40 years, Republicans will, since whites will obviously be a minority.

What population projections are you looking at? The most aggressive predictions for minority population growth have non-Hispanic whites at around 48% of the population in 2050 or so, still by far the largest group (against ~25% Hispanic, 15% black and 12% Asian).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

Since Hispanics are supposed to be the Majority within the next 40 years, Republicans will, since whites will obviously be a minority.

What population projections are you looking at? The most aggressive predictions for minority population growth have non-Hispanic whites at around 48% of the population in 2050 or so, still by far the largest group (against ~25% Hispanic, 15% black and 12% Asian).

I think he was being technical.  Under 50% would be Plurality to majority, so whites would technically still be considered a minority even though there would be more of them than any other group.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2009, 04:12:41 PM »

I think he was being technical.  Under 50% would be Plurality to majority, so whites would technically still be considered a minority even though there would be more of them than any other group.

He said Hispanics would be the majority. Read the post.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »

Ahh, oops.  Your right.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »

Ahh, oops.  Your right.
Umph
I read it several months ago. I'm sorry, but I cannot provide you with a link, since I didn't know I would need it at the time, for later use.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »

Ahh, oops.  Your right.
Umph
I read it several months ago. I'm sorry, but I cannot provide you with a link, since I didn't know I would need it at the time, for later use.

You probably misread the article.  The growing Hispanic population will result in whites not being a majority anymore 40 years from now, however they will still be a plurality.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2009, 10:15:03 PM »

Given the Right's reaction to Sonia Sotomayor, not for a very long time, perhaps never.  Since we have had to listen to their cascading shi*stream about how she is racist, hot tempered, lazy, an angry woman, a member of the Latino KKK and an affirmative action flunkie.

I am a minority and I would rather shoot myself in the foot than join the GOP.

If her comments were made by a white male or female do you really think they'd still be at the table fore a SC chair? Seriously. If the Depression didn't destroy the GOP then this little bump in the road certainly won't.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »

Given the Right's reaction to Sonia Sotomayor, not for a very long time, perhaps never.  Since we have had to listen to their cascading shi*stream about how she is racist, hot tempered, lazy, an angry woman, a member of the Latino KKK and an affirmative action flunkie.

If her comments were made by a white male or female do you really think they'd still be at the table fore a SC chair? Seriously. If the Depression didn't destroy the GOP then this little bump in the road certainly won't.

Who said the GOP would be "destroyed?"  Although if I were Republican, the current state of the party is not something which would make me feel optimistic.  As far as the racism goes, there is more to it than just the reaction to Sotomayor, as I have been following politics since the early 1990s.  Their response to her is evidence that their issues are continuing.  There is a reason why the GOP has not been successful with minority voters.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2009, 10:42:29 PM »

Bush won the Hispanic vote in 04. I'd argue if Hispanics are actually a minority, but that's neither here nor there.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »

Fixed.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2009, 11:03:43 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2009, 11:21:40 PM by Ogre Mage »

Of course they're spinning this to appeal to their base, just as Democrats do when a Christian conservative is nominated.

It's sad that minorities such as your self hate the GOP (though I can sympathize it at times) because the Democrats take you for granted, therefore they don't help minorities (seriously, what have they done for minorities since the civil rights act that actually worked?). Likewise, the GOP doesn't help minorities because they don't see the point if they can't win them.

Anyone can see by looking at my Political Matrix score that my problem with the GOP is ideological.  The blatant racism (and sexism and homophobia) makes me hold them in contempt instead of just disagreeing.

I disagree that the Democrats have not done anything substantive for minorities since the Civil Rights Act, although I do agree they sometimes take minorities for granted.  But there is not the unveiled hostility you see from large cross-sections of the GOP, both rhetorically and in terms of policy.  The Democratic Party is also far more representative in terms of electing minorities, women and openly gay people to office.  I am not fooled by the few token minorities the Republicans shove in front of the camera.

There are certain Republican officials I respect, even though I might disagree with many of their views.  However, their voices are not dominant within the GOP, nor are they representative of the grassroots base, especially not in the current environment. 

And I am also gay.  Yeah, gay Asians/Blacks/Latinos/Indians really have a place in the Republican party.  LOL.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »

It's more of a marketing issue the way I see it. I've run into many blacks and spanish folks that I work with who hold a LOT of conservative ideals but when you mention to them that they should join the other side they have an ingrained trained hatred of the party without knowing many facts. The GOP has rolled over like dogs to the Democrats to much in the past and its' hurting them in the long run.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2009, 11:34:05 PM »

It's more of a marketing issue the way I see it. I've run into many blacks and spanish folks that I work with who hold a LOT of conservative ideals but when you mention to them that they should join the other side they have an ingrained trained hatred of the party without knowing many facts. The GOP has rolled over like dogs to the Democrats to much in the past and its' hurting them in the long run.

Frankly a lot of your party is full of bigots, and when a person like Tancredo gets on the national stage you really have to wonder. Minorities just feel uncomfortable in the republican party and it doesn't seem to be getting better. 2004 was a definite improvement with Bush getting 40% of the latino vote, but the xenophobia of the republican masses changed that. And it's not as if that helps with the Asian vote either, a constituency republicans should be winning comfortably.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2009, 12:58:42 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWTh9_A6t8w
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2009, 06:27:53 AM »

It depends. From 2000 to 2004 we did extraordinarily well with Hispanics, it was really only after Katrina, the drop off in support for Iraq, etc. that we saw those gains eroded. As hispanics assimilate more and the Republicans regain credibility with Americans as a whole, I suspect that as a group we'll be pretty much 50/50.

Hispanics tend to be conservatives on sex and crime, but liberals on much else. Republicans generally assumed that as Hispanics assimilated in economics that they would become more sympathetic to the pro-corporate, low-tax agenda that it had been peddling for decades. In effect, as people get richer or believe that they get richer they would vote in harmony with shareholders and executives. Add to this, Hispanics might assimilate more in religion toward Protestant fundamentalism that offers "pie-in-the-sky-when-you-die" as a solution for all personal distress while ridiculing rational science and formal education and away from the left-leaning tendencies of Catholic clergy who aren't so hostile to rational science and first-rate education.

What happened? The GOP aligned itself with Big Business more completely just as Big Business sank badly in its ethical conduct. The sleazy ideology of Social Darwinism (the apparent faith among tycoons and among business executives paid very well to treat others badly) holds that those at the social apex have an inherent right to abuse and exploit anyone not well connected to the Master Class on the ground that the enrichment and pampering of economic elites is the optimal method of creating wealth. Big Business exported jobs and enforced falling real wages while Dubya was President even in comparatively good times. Add to this, credit expanded to promote the illusion of prosperity among people struggling to avoid destitution. That became another tool of exploitation... and a means of bleeding the middle class and working class, and ultimately the destruction of wealth. Once economic reality went bad, it really went bad.

"Hispanic" is no political monolith... but the largest Hispanic group, Mexican-Americans, surely got burned unusually hard in the real estate meltdown. Mexican-Americans tend to buy housing at the first opportunity... at incomes lower than those for any other identifiable group of people. They make huge sacrifices to do so. Such was of course wise in California between 1960 and 2000 -- but unwise since then anywhere in America. Gains in real estate values without underlying increases in income for the masses of home owners can't continue forever unless population growth increases (a miserable situation in itself). When the real estate bubble burst in 2008, young homeowners with large mortgages and stagnant pay got burned badly.

Add to this -- Hispanics of all kinds tend to live in cities and suburbs. Such government services as education, law enforcement, and transportation  get more expensive with population density, overpowering any efficiencies of scale. Getting good public services in rural areas has always been cheap (which explains why the Plains states still vote Republican -- they have comparatively few of the high-cost cities that tend to vote Democratic); but suburbia has become legitimately urban in needs. To continue membership in the middle class suburban kids need good schools; to maintain a quality of life that keeps Suburbia from degenerating into slums government must collect taxes and support public services. The low-tax, low-service ideology of the GOP now seems to make it the Party of Fred Flintstone.   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Should the GOP not disintegrate as a viable political party, it will have to position itself to exploit dissent within the Democratic Party. Paradoxically, Democratic successes will create create rifts as economic improvements create entrenched interests at odds with each other. But note well: the GOP coalition of 1980 to now has shrunk too much to have any chance of dominating political life. The low-tax, low-service, elitist agenda has failed, and the people who will vote for any right-wing ideologues so long as they pander to Fundamentalist televangelists who tell people to vote for the Hard Right because God so dictates aren't winning enough converts as their children flee.

The GOP could survive a Great Depression far more severe than any that we can now experience (we are likely past the worst part of the subprime lending/bubble economy meltdown). In the 1930s the GOP was a safety valve for dissent with Democratic miscalculations and neglect of certain special interests; it could offer itself in places as an alternative to corrupt politicians in the Democratic Party. With no reputation for corruption it could survive as a viable alternative. The current GOP has the burden of being associated with corrupt figures of the American economy, rapacious plutocrats who exploited people harshly, and exponents of irrational ideologies. The GOP cleans up its act or else the conservatism that results from economic success from liberal measures appears from elsewhere. 

Let's remember that the high frequency of intermarriage between whites and Hispanics, in which case no semblance of the "One Drop Rule" that applies to black/white mixtures applies. Hispanic identity isn't race. Culture? No monolith. Language? The advantage for using English in commerce, education, and bureaucracies is all too obvious. Such would of course be inverted in Argentina.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2009, 01:47:34 PM »

Of course they're spinning this to appeal to their base, just as Democrats do when a Christian conservative is nominated.

It's sad that minorities such as your self hate the GOP (though I can sympathize it at times) because the Democrats take you for granted, therefore they don't help minorities (seriously, what have they done for minorities since the civil rights act that actually worked?). Likewise, the GOP doesn't help minorities because they don't see the point if they can't win them.

Anyone can see by looking at my Political Matrix score that my problem with the GOP is ideological.  The blatant racism (and sexism and homophobia) makes me hold them in contempt instead of just disagreeing.

I disagree that the Democrats have not done anything substantive for minorities since the Civil Rights Act, although I do agree they sometimes take minorities for granted.  But there is not the unveiled hostility you see from large cross-sections of the GOP, both rhetorically and in terms of policy.  The Democratic Party is also far more representative in terms of electing minorities, women and openly gay people to office.  I am not fooled by the few token minorities the Republicans shove in front of the camera.

There are certain Republican officials I respect, even though I might disagree with many of their views.  However, their voices are not dominant within the GOP, nor are they representative of the grassroots base, especially not in the current environment. 

And I am also gay.  Yeah, gay Asians/Blacks/Latinos/Indians really have a place in the Republican party.  LOL.

There are many dominant Republicans who aren't racist. John McCain, Rudy Giuliani (not that influential anymore), John Cornyn. In fact, I would say any Republican outside of the deep south and border mid-west isn't racist.

I realize there are racists in the GOP, but the problem is most minorities assume if you have an "R" next to your name on the ballot, you're a racist. I would say that at least 2/3 of GOP congressmen, senators, and governors are not racist, and that's a very conservative estimate.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »

In fact, I would say any Republican outside of the deep south and border mid-west isn't racist.

Oh? So all southern republicans are racist huh? Give it a rest already, seriously. Racism has been widespread both in the past and present well outside the borders of the south. As a matter of fact some of the disgustingly racist people I've run into have been from New York and Boston. I know for a fact that my congressman isn't a racist and he's a Southern Republican. As a matter of fact he's Greek and conservative. So please, take your blinders off for once.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2009, 08:55:38 AM »

Well, in order to survive the Republicans will have to appeal more to minorities, and I believe they will.  From its foundation the Republican Party has proven to rather durable, but barring some unforeseen freak incident, and major recovery on the GOP's part will long term (but for how long is anyone's guess).  Part of this recovery process will entail enticing people who aren't, *cough*, "white Anglo-Saxon Protestants", to vote for them in greater numbers than they do now.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2009, 11:49:16 AM »

In fact, I would say any Republican outside of the deep south and border mid-west isn't racist.

Oh? So all southern republicans are racist huh? Give it a rest already, seriously. Racism has been widespread both in the past and present well outside the borders of the south. As a matter of fact some of the disgustingly racist people I've run into have been from New York and Boston. I know for a fact that my congressman isn't a racist and he's a Southern Republican. As a matter of fact he's Greek and conservative. So please, take your blinders off for once.

1. I was talking about office holders, not voters.
2. I didn't say all southern Republican office holders were racist, just most racists in the GOP (though I don't really believe there are very many, like no more than 5% of the party, probably less) are in the south.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »

From Gallup:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/118937/Republican-Base-Heavily-White-Conservative-Religious.aspx
cindywho2212
Rookie
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2009, 11:11:36 AM »

"Hopefully one day! We need the Hispanic support!"
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2009, 06:30:33 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2009, 06:32:50 PM by StatesRights Throwback© »

He didn't say that.  It's obvious the South is more racist than the rest of the country and there's no way to defend that. 

Then why do more "hate crimes" occur outside the south?

http://www.esquire.com/features/hate-crime-0608

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »

He didn't say that.  It's obvious the South is more racist than the rest of the country and there's no way to defend that. 

It appears as if states with large metropolitan areas with significant minority populations are the worst.

I apologize if you took my comments personally, I shouldn't have generalized.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2009, 11:22:55 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2009, 11:25:25 PM by sbane »

It appears as if states with large metropolitan areas with significant minority populations are the worst.

I apologize if you took my comments personally, I shouldn't have generalized.

That probably has more to do with where hate crime laws are more likely to be enforced and prosecuted as such. And all of those states have a very high minority population both numerically as well as proportionally.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2009, 10:27:41 AM »

And then to if you subscribe to the idea of a hate crime. Which I of course don't as a crime is a crime. And of course it's irrelevant and inaccurate, it was created by the government.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies