Why do conservative pundits dislike rap so much? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:33:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do conservative pundits dislike rap so much? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do conservative pundits dislike rap so much?  (Read 3841 times)
hopper
United States

« on: July 31, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »

I am a Moderate Republican but rap has gotten stupid the 7 years. Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne are crap. The late 80's/early 90's had good rap. Eric B. and Rakim, Arrested Development, A Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, Das EFX, MC Lyte, and Heavy D. had some good music back in the day. Post old school 1993-mid 2005 was ok. Mid 2005+ rap I don't like it.

As for rap its a generational thing most baby boomers don't think rap is actually music.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »

They likely thought MC Hammer was too edgy.

Conservative pundits=tragically un-hip.
No gangsta rappers had a dislike for MC Hammer. LL Cool J and even a white rap group "3rd Bass" dissed Hammer back in the day in their songs.

Fox News wasn't around in the early 90's when MC Hammer was huge. White people really did not like rap in the late 80's/early 90's(Hammer was an exception.)  Actually Fox News first appeared in 1996 right before Rap became really commercial after 2Pac's Death(Sept 1996) and Biggie's death(March of 1997.) Puff Daddy and Mase really propelled Hip-Hop to its mainstream popularity in 1997-1998. after Biggie's death.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:45:36 AM »

I am a Moderate Republican but rap has gotten stupid the 7 years. Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne are crap. The late 80's/early 90's had good rap. Eric B. and Rakim, Arrested Development, A Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, Das EFX, MC Lyte, and Heavy D. had some good music back in the day. Post old school 1993-mid 2005 was ok. Mid 2005+ rap I don't like it.

I don't want to make this thread an argument about hip hop, but you sound like every hip hop critic who doesn't actually like hip hop in the world. I'll give you Soulja Boy, but Wayne dropped some pretty dope music between 2005-2010.

Where do you get that from? I said rap was good in the late 80's/early 90's and was ok from 1993-mid 2005. I watched Michael Rappaport's documentary on "A Tribe Called Quest" the other night. Never said I didn't like Hip-Hop.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 12:48:04 AM »

Rap music like bad parenting leads to school shootings.
That's like going back in time to 1985 that Juda's Priests Music leads to violence. Remember Tipper Gore?
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »

I don't want to make this thread an argument about hip hop, but you sound like every hip hop critic who doesn't actually like hip hop in the world. I'll give you Soulja Boy, but Wayne dropped some pretty dope music between 2005-2010.

Where do you get that from? I said rap was good in the late 80's/early 90's and was ok from 1993-mid 2005. I watched Michael Rappaport's documentary on "A Tribe Called Quest" the other night. Never said I didn't like Hip-Hop.

There was still a lot of horrible hip-hop music in the 90s too.  MC Hammer, Will Smith, Vanilla Ice and Puff Daddy certainly sold more albums than ATCQ, De La Soul, KRS-ONE and Rakim. 
Will Smith and Hammer I can listen to. Vanilla Ice and Puffy I can't listen to them now. True the pop-rappers sold more albums than the "authentic" rappers if you will back then. Remember Will Smith(as the Fresh Prince) was around in the late 80's/early 90's with DJ Jazzy Jeff. He took a break when Gangsta Rap was huge from 1994-1996. He just had that mini-huge comeback from mid 1997-early 1999.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »

Yeah but 2003-mid 2008 it was even more popular and than it tailed off after that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies