What does Finland do right? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:13:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What does Finland do right? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does Finland do right?  (Read 2753 times)
The Lord Marbury
EvilSpaceAlien
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -5.91

« on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:29 AM »

I would not say that our system much more consensus-oriented than Austria, Switzerland or Benelux. Obviously the most undemocratic aspect is that it is taboo to speculate about possible coalitions before elections.

I actually that's the part of Finnish politics I like the most. I simply hate the way we have it here in Sweden where bloc politics are really starting to cement themselves in the political discussion. A shame because I prefer to actually vote for a party, not a coalition. And I also think it's bad for parliamentary democracy because the whole point is that parties go to into an election solely on their own platform and ideas and on election day the pieces fall as they may, with coalitions being negotiated afterwards based on the number of votes each party got. Having all that talk about coalitions and possible party constellations influence the voters so that they might not vote with their first choice is just bad for the democratic process in a way.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies