Crapo arrested on DUI (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:07:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Crapo arrested on DUI (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crapo arrested on DUI  (Read 9002 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 25, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »

He should go to jail for a fairly long time. Unfortunately, drunk driving laws in this country are a joke.

I agree with this a lot.

silly liberals.  drunk driving should be legal
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »

Considering that a lot of people have been killed in drunk driving accidents, jail time is more than reasonable.

many more people get killed in accidents that have nothing to do with alcohol.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

'deterrence' is a false flag myth designed to perpetuate the prison-industrial complex.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »

many more people get killed in accidents that have nothing to do with alcohol.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

'deterrence' is a false flag myth designed to perpetuate the prison-industrial complex.

So what if people get killed in accidents that have nothing to do with alcohol? That doesn't mean drunk driving should be legal. I'm guessing you are the type that drives drunk.

can you demonstrate that the explosion of the criminalization of drunk driving has done what you want it to do?  what is it that you want it to do?  pay off the lawyers and social workers and insurance executive and corrections officers?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »

you support coerced 12-step participation for non-addicts and non-alcoholics?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »

that's fine, but we still must balance a. the human costs of criminalization with the perceived human benefits and b. further assess causality: the harsher penalities may not be driving down the rate and recidivism, it could be the public health campaign, something else, etc.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »

excuse me?  this goes on all the time.  drug criminalization and drunk driving criminalization have become a scam-slush fund for the 'treatment' industry and insurance companies.  people caught driving over the legal limit or in possession of any amount of an illegal drug are diverted to treatment, where they are taught that they are powerless over their addiction (although many of them do not meet the criteria for drug/alcohol dependence to begin with), and that they have an interminable and incurable disease.  the treatment-industrial complex has grown by hundredfolds over the past few decades thanks to ignorant attitudes such as yours.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:49 PM »

It would seem by any reasonable measure that the criminalization of grossly irresponsible behavior of getting behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle moving dozens of miles an hour while under the influence, measured against the lives and limbs saved SHOULD be a no brainer.

people who are extremely fatigued drive at a level of impairment comparable to those driving on several drinks, should this behavior be criminalized?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »

What level of statistically-increased danger is acceptable to criminalize? Should it be illegal to change the station on the radio since that increases the chances of an accident occurring?

Statistics don't have anything to with it, you don't need numbers to tell you that impaired driving should be illegal. It's not the same thing as changing the station on the radio.

so rather than being concerned about its concrete effect, you are concerned about some magical and unnamed quality it has that requires it to be prohibited.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »

Other drivers and pedestrians have a right to be safe from impaired drivers.

there is no such 'right'.  thankfully I understand what you are trying to say.  unfortunately you have singled out only one of the many forms of impairment and deemed it worthy of draconian punishment.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »

there is no such 'right'.  thankfully I understand what you are trying to say.  unfortunately you have singled out only one of the many forms of impairment and deemed it worthy of draconian punishment.

And there is no right to drive drunk. Drunk driving laws are to protect other people, not restrict people of rights that aren't at all enshrined in the constitutional. If a drunk driver injures or kills someone, they should get a jail sentence. If not, they should get a fine and have their license revoked.

worst of all possible argumentum ad hominem, if I were of a different stripe I would 'Report to moderator', a resort to this type of nonsense is somewhere in between pitiable and reprehensible.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »

ah, I guess it magically disappeared, I'm glad I preserved it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 06:16:30 PM »

And there is no right to drive drunk. Drunk driving laws are to protect other people, not restrict people of rights that aren't at all enshrined in the constitution. If a drunk driver injures or kills someone, they should get a jail sentence. If not, they should get a fine and have their license revoked.

Technically, no one really has a right not to be robbed, assaulted or murdered, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be laws against that. Some may hate those laws as restricting freedom, but they do make sense. Sorry.

speaking of constitutional rights, enforcement of drunk driving law via the checkpoint came under fire for bending the 4th amendment protection to unreasonable search and seizure, as drivers are able to be stopped and in effect forced to incriminate themselves via a sobriety test.  unfortuately, despite the best efforts of liberal hero Thurgood Marshall, the good guys lost 6-3:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Dept._of_State_Police_v._Sitz
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »

I thought of something better to say, I went over the top and shouldn't have. It's just aggravating to me that some people don't see that drunk driving is not safe.

I've never said it is safe.  operating a vehicle is inherently unsafe.  I am even willing to concede that operating a vehicle while under the influence of enough alcohol is to one degree or another less safe than it is otherwise, but it does not automatically follow that the behavior should be criminalized.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 09:10:23 PM »

@patrick: how was your outpatient experience?  was it 12-step oriented?  PM me if you resist going public, I might even know of your treatment center given our proximity.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »

no follow up questions, just a small suggestion or notice.. there is an alternative recovery program, I think it has 3 meetings on LI and a bunch more in the 5 boroughs, it's a lot more to-the-point and speaks not of a Higher Power, perhaps you'd be interested.  http://www.smartrecovery.org/   and the meeting list for NY: http://www.smartrecovery.org/meetings_db/view/showalpha_state.php?search=N

also it shows a high level of awareness to ask-out of the not-self-referred groups, good work.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »

And if you are able to drive normal at BAC 0.09, you won't get pulled over.

false.  random checkpoints.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »

they exist so cops can target people they want to target and try to get big drug scores.  blacks and poors and young males.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 01:27:23 PM »

I'm pretty sure he was trying to meet a quota or just hoping I had drugs in the car.  He asked if he could look in my trunk, but when I told him yes he didn't do it.

NEVER say yes!  next thing you know a bag of coke appears out of nowhere.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »

I mean, it's not like the cop is actually going to plant drugs in my car.

nah they neverrrrr do that
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies