Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:53:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children  (Read 28573 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: December 14, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »

I'm sure I'd get crucified by the usual suspects if I even started to make this political..... But seriously, how often does this have to happen before we actually do something about it?

Jesus Roll Eyes
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »

The entire world facepalms at the US when events like this occur.

But we're not allowed to talk about the really relevant issue here, that's abusing a tragedy for politics....and disrespectful to the dead.

Seriously, I'm as horrified as everyone about someone killing 20 children. I can't imagine how terrible this must be for those that have direct connections to these families and this community.

But we're doing the dead more disrespect if we keep playing this game "no no, we can talk politics another day....now's the time for mourning, no policy debates!", instead of actaully saying what needs to be said. It's not a coincidence that 90% of these mass shootings happen in the US. If we don't speak the truth after tragedies like this....it gets forgotten. And we begin the cycle again, when the next horrific spree happens, where we are, once again, not supposed to politicize is. It f**king needs to stop.

If this makes me a horrible person for saying it, so be it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »

Does anyone have the numbers for the number of children killed by guns every year?  I realize I could Google it, but I want actual, unbiased numbers...

The number of children "killed by guns" is zero.

Roll Eyes
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »

One thing the political system is there for (in theory) is to find ways to solve problems.

I think it's safe to say the country has a problem. And nothing ever gets done because we don't connect the dots and say enough is enough.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »

So when is it acceptable to talk about the political implications? When is "too early" over?

1 day? 1 week? 1 month? Unless another shooting happens before then, I guess, then the clock gets reset and we have to show our respect by ignoring what causes these tragedies.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »

Why is it most liberals seem to focus on gun control, and gloss over better mental health treatment, as the most effective solution to this problem?   They seem to hardly even mention it. 

The real issue here. And it's not just liberals glossing over it.

It's perhaps the "real" issue regarding sudden mass killings like this, I won't disagree with that. But gun control is sorely lacking and even if it wouldn't stop the most determined mass murderers, it'd make it more difficult and it'd certainly stop a lot of the less publicized killings that happen across America.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies