Affirmative Action (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:15:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Affirmative Action (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your stance party?
Favor (D)

Oppose (D)

Neutral/Tossup (D)

Favor (R)

Oppose (R)

Neutral/Tossup (R)

Favor (I/O)

Oppose (I/O)

Neutral/Tossup (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Affirmative Action  (Read 4059 times)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« on: December 29, 2005, 08:50:56 AM »

I think it's racist, and it hurts some white men who deserve a job, but can't get it because they're in the "majority."  This creates an even bigger racial divide.  I also think it takes away from minorities experiencing the feeling of actually achieving something, since every job they get they're gonna ask themselves "did I actually earn this job, or am I just here to meet a quota?"  I think with AA, everyone loses.

opebo to respond in 1... 2... 3...
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 05:25:57 PM »

You assume a lot when you use the term 'deserve' a job.  Of course most jobs are not filled on a merit basis.  And white males are the dominant group in society, CheeseWhiz, regardless of whether they are a majority or not.

By deserve I mean they can do a good job, better then anyone else seeking that job, regardless of race, color or creed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Roll Eyes I know how ever much I try and argue with you, I'll never convince you that we aren't all intolerant bigots, so I'm not gonna even try.  Besides, you're the biggest bigot I ever met, so what's the use trying to convince you most Americans aren't something that you are?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 05:30:54 PM »

I suspect the fact that most members of this forum are white, and live in white neighbourhoods have something to do with the poll numbers. 

No, I just don't like racism.  It doesn't matter who it's for, it's still racism.  I don't like white people doing and a sure don't like black people doing and trying to say it's okay because they were oppressed for so long.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 05:54:52 PM »

Perhaps it is racism, but it is used in an attempt to reverse racism.  Perhaps two wrong don't make a right, and that maybe true. It is certainly a band-aid solution to the problem. Of course, there is no real way to fight racism with out realizing racism exists, and the only way to fight it is to have discriminative programs. If black people are systematically disadvantaged, than there needs to be a way to help take away that disadvantage. The only way to do that is to descriminate in favour of black people. Whether it is with affrimative action, or with social programs (which are deffinately a better answer than AA).

I do not see how we can say racism is wrong and enforce it by imposing more racism.  Do you think whites are gonna have an easier time getting over our differences now that blacks are taking jobs that whites may have needed, and might have been more qualified for?

We just don't think the Government should solve everyone's problems, they have to do that themselves.  If I knew someone to be racist, I would never associate myself with them, and if my friend were racist, I'd talk to him/her about it and hopefully put a stop to it.  But, just because I don't seek the Government to remedy everything I think is a problem, I don't think it's a problem, huh? Roll Eyes
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 05:58:50 PM »

No, I just don't like racism.  It doesn't matter who it's for, it's still racism.  I don't like white people doing and a sure don't like black people doing and trying to say it's okay because they were oppressed for so long.

Are you implying that blacks were not oppressed?!

No, they definitely were, but that is not the be all end all for them to get everything they want, as a few seem to think it is.  Personally, I can't understand why a black would want to work for a racist, anyway.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 02:57:03 PM »

Perhaps it is racism, but it is used in an attempt to reverse racism.  Perhaps two wrong don't make a right, and that maybe true. It is certainly a band-aid solution to the problem. Of course, there is no real way to fight racism with out realizing racism exists, and the only way to fight it is to have discriminative programs. If black people are systematically disadvantaged, than there needs to be a way to help take away that disadvantage. The only way to do that is to descriminate in favour of black people. Whether it is with affrimative action, or with social programs (which are deffinately a better answer than AA).

I do not see how we can say racism is wrong and enforce it by imposing more racism.  Do you think whites are gonna have an easier time getting over our differences now that blacks are taking jobs that whites may have needed, and might have been more qualified for?

We just don't think the Government should solve everyone's problems, they have to do that themselves.  If I knew someone to be racist, I would never associate myself with them, and if my friend were racist, I'd talk to him/her about it and hopefully put a stop to it.  But, just because I don't seek the Government to remedy everything I think is a problem, I don't think it's a problem, huh? Roll Eyes

Ahh yes, I forgot how Libertarians lacked morals Cheesy

Ahh yes, I forgot how you lacked the ability to say anything meaningful in a debate Roll Eyes

Now, are you going to keep throwing around meaningless accusations, or do you want to explain to me, why, first of all, you keep talking like the Libertarians are the only ones who believe in this, when the vast majority of the Forum obviously agrees with me: reverse discrimination is not the way to end discrimination.  Now, second, why you feel that I'm either racist or heartless, just because I don't support reverse racism, but don't say the same about everyone else here.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

Now, are you going to keep throwing around meaningless accusations, or do you want to explain to me, why, first of all, you keep talking like the Libertarians are the only ones who believe in this, when the vast majority of the Forum obviously agrees with me: reverse discrimination is not the way to end discrimination.  Now, second, why you feel that I'm either racist or heartless, just because I don't support reverse racism, but don't say the same about everyone else here.

Care to answer that, Earl?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies