Privatize the Atlasian National Broadcaster Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:30:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Privatize the Atlasian National Broadcaster Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Privatize the Atlasian National Broadcaster Act (Debating)  (Read 5799 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« on: April 22, 2016, 11:47:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Speaker Kent
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »

Seems rather self-explanatory. There are already numerous media outlets, and the government doesn't need to get itself involved. President Griffin's 2016 budget reveals that we spent $2.45 billion on the ANB, money that could have been spent elsewhere. I've spoken to the owner of Nyman Weekly, and he is willing to buy the ANB for $10 billion.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »

I understand your concerns, but as the Secretary of State said, we were concerned about the possibility of a partisan hack buying it. I can add an amendment to the bill to fix this, though. We can vet any potential buyers to ensure that this does not fall into the wrong hands.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »

On another point I'd support repealing or heavily amending the original bill-it's got some rather strange aspects such as giving people 3 months term on the board.

What do other Senators feel about this?
In my proposal, I do include a clause repealing the original bill.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2016, 05:46:45 PM by Speaker Kent »

I offer this amendment, its deliberately not complete and requires further work, but puts a marker down regarding price
It's not as good as complete privatization, but I can support this.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »

And as my first act as Atlasian Senator, I offer this amendment as a framework for the direction I think we should take with this bill:

-As I mentioned twice before, repealing the entirety of the original bill would render the rest of this bill meaningless.

-Only selling half of it defeats the purpose. But to Blair's concerns, I created Section 3 as a placeholder for any conditions or guidelines, so that if someone buys it they can't just do anything with it.

-Stuff in brackets is either a placeholder or just highly negotiable--this is not meant to be the final version.

-I'm not sure how we'd choose the committee members. Maybe the Management and Advisory Boards of the original bill could have a say, or even be the committee? Either way, I think two things we should try to do with the selection process is aim for people with expertise in this, and to make the committee, overall, un-biased.

Hopefully we can continue to fine tune this bill in the next few days. Does Clark like this ammendment? Also, does anyone else have any further thoughts on this?
Amendment is friendly.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:49:06 PM »

AYE
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »

AYE
Pages: [1]