Peru: decree names transexualism and transvestism as "mental pathologies"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:36:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peru: decree names transexualism and transvestism as "mental pathologies"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should I go to a protest agaisnt this (I'm not trans)?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Peru: decree names transexualism and transvestism as "mental pathologies"  (Read 262 times)
wnwnwn
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2024, 06:54:22 PM »

https://larepublica.pe/sociedad/2024/05/11/ministerio-de-salud-vulnera-derechos-lgbtiq-decreto-califica-de-enfermedad-identidades-trans-y-otras-de-genero-minsa-comunidad-lgtbiq-422741

The government of President Dina Boluarte, through the Ministry of Health (Minsa), issued Supreme Decree No. 009-2024-SA, which classifies trans, transvestites and other gender identities as “pathologies”. This decree incorporates the ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases) document, but in its outdated version from the 1990s, which causes gender identities to be referred to as diseases. This puts the LGBTIQ+ population at risk, and makes them vulnerable to forms of torture and degradation with supposed “therapies” or conversion practices.

https://busquedas.elperuano.pe/dispositivo/NL/2287398-1

The decree includes as "Diagnósticos CIE-10 Diagnoses":

F64.0 Transsexualism
F64.1 Dual role transvestism
F64.2 Gender identity disorder in childhood F64.3 Gender identity disorder of childhood
F64.8 Other gender identity disorder
F64.9 Gender identity disorder, unspecified F64.9 Gender identity disorder, unspecified F64.10 Gender identity disorder, unspecified
F65.1 Transvestite fetishism
F66.1 Ego-dystonic sexual orientation

Discuss.
kaoras
Chile

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 07:15:01 PM »

If it is as you say then it's an absolutely pathetic move by a government whose record approval rating is like 10%.

Is there any chance that a future government will nullify this decree in the future? I know most of the political spectrum in Peru is socially conservative.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 07:37:49 PM »

Well, the peruvian Congress leans socially conservative (somehow more than the average population), so this likely is a move to appease them.
Congress recently passed an "anti-incluse lenguage" (ellxs, latinx, you know) bill.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 09:11:17 PM »

Boluarte trying to get people to stop asking her about all her jewelry-related corruption scandals.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 08:24:44 AM »

Trying, but failing?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 09:25:01 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2024, 09:30:41 AM by Red Velvet »

Not surprising, Peru is one of the most socially conservative countries in South America and this is something I could see the Brazilian Bolsonarist far-right supporting.

Funny how international observers never get why a more “conservative left” exists in countries that are more conservative. The gringo takes about Pedro Castillo were one of the most awful I’ve read, as if the mold for the entire left everywhere necessarily was the Western European progressive model.

I know current president is a blandish type of conservative, but my point is that it doesn’t sound like progressive politicians have much space in Peru. Hell, even here in Brazil they don’t, being limited mostly to educated urban centers. In Peru not even Lima tbh.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 10:49:47 AM »

Unrelated, but that the same Peruvian Congress that's taken out President after President - in some cases rightfully, like Castillo - refuses to act against the cartoonishly corrupt Boluarte is indeed the height of absurdity.

If it is as you say then it's an absolutely pathetic move by a government whose record approval rating is like 10%.

Is there any chance that a future government will nullify this decree in the future? I know most of the political spectrum in Peru is socially conservative.

I... would not put up a lot of hope on President Humala, López Aliaga, or Fujimori being kind to sexual minorities. If anything, those will have it a lot better than other groups or people the likely winners hate more.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies