2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:54:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Author Topic: 2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)  (Read 29635 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2009, 05:19:46 AM »

Amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Doesn't mess with taxes, as that would be unconstitutional, so the tax rates for businesses and such would still be uniform throughout Atlasia. Distributes allocated funds to other regions if they're rejected to continue economic development to compensate for the lost recovery. Is totally within the federal government's power to institute or fund infrastructure projects on it's own. Etc. etc. All perfectly sensible and legit.

No basis for opposing this unless you're an anarchist or a sucker for regional supremacy.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »

So the amendment takes any rejected stimulus money and reallocates it to federal projects and equally among the remaining regions that have accepted the money? Sounds good.

Also, one last amendment from me:

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »

So the amendment takes any rejected stimulus money and reallocates it to federal projects and equally among the remaining regions that have accepted the money? Sounds good.

Seconded.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »

Right I've had time to pick through this

$30 billion for a 25% increase in individual food stamp benefits

Over 10% of Atlasians claim food stamps, mostly the unemployed and those on very very low wages with large households. Anyone know the income limits for food stamps?

$20 billion to fund additional Pell Grants, which shall be increased to $6,000 per individual

I had to look this one up Smiley Surely this can be decreased given the steps taken to open up tertiary education through the Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009?

e. $12 billion to increase the availability of Section 8 Housing Vouchers
   f. $10 billion to increase and extend welfare payments
   g. $10 billion to job training and disabled worker rehabilitation programs

Would have been easy to attach to the provision detailed within the Modified Welfare Reform Act. However this was overturned. We are effectively 'policyless.' I have however introduced a replacement bill.

a. $25 billion to exempt the first $5000 collected through unemployment compensation from taxation until December 31, 2010

How is this taxed? Is it treated as income and taxed or is it taxed seperately? I ask because the 2007 tax bill could mean that this already goes untaxed.

c. $6 billion to provide a voluntary annual $700 tax credit to home-owners who make use of solar, wind, or hydroelectric sources of energy (To qualify for the tax credit, home-owners must have at least 25% of their electricity generated from the aforementioned sources.)

Not liking this on reflection. First of all you have to be a homeowner. Then you have to 'make use' of renewables; is this by choice as in generating this within the home? To set up the facilities to generate 25% of your power from home made renewables is expensive. Only the well to do will benefit. Secondly if by 'making use' of means simply plugging into the national grid, then are we to reward those who through luck and geography live close to a major renewable power supplier?

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »

I don't like that, it's not necessary and could out the time this money gets out into the economy. If a region wants to refuse it, they can vote on their own.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »

I don't like that, it's not necessary and could out the time this money gets out into the economy. If a region wants to refuse it, they can vote on their own.

It is unclear whether that is the case. In fact, inaction by a region could be read as rejection of the money. This sets up a mechanism to address that.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »

I propose a further amendment.

Section 1: Direct Aid to Struggling Atlasians ($256 billion)

a. $100 billion for Medicaid
   b. $70 billion to extend unemployment benefits for eighteen months, individual unemployment compensation checks will be increased by $50
   c. $30 billion for a 25% increase in individual food stamp benefits
   d. $20 billion to fund additional Pell Grants, which shall be increased to $6,000 per individual
   h. $2 billion for food program funding, including free school lunch programs, food banks, and meals programs for seniors (General food banks shall recieve priority funding)
   i. $2 billion to replenish the federal "Crisis" program's funds.

---

I believe that because of the steps taken through the Help Atlasia Study Act, extra funding for Pell Grants is unneccesary.

I would appreciate Senators comments on the matter.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2009, 04:34:16 PM »

It is unclear whether that is the case. In fact, inaction by a region could be read as rejection of the money. This sets up a mechanism to address that.

That's silly, you may as well include a clause in every bill asking every region whether or not they want to support or reject the legislation. This seems like nothing more than encouraging regions to screw things up.

I propose a further amendment.

Section 1: Direct Aid to Struggling Atlasians ($256 billion)

a. $100 billion for Medicaid
   b. $70 billion to extend unemployment benefits for eighteen months, individual unemployment compensation checks will be increased by $50
   c. $30 billion for a 25% increase in individual food stamp benefits
   d. $20 billion to fund additional Pell Grants, which shall be increased to $6,000 per individual
   h. $2 billion for food program funding, including free school lunch programs, food banks, and meals programs for seniors (General food banks shall recieve priority funding)
   i. $2 billion to replenish the federal "Crisis" program's funds.

---

I believe that because of the steps taken through the Help Atlasia Study Act, extra funding for Pell Grants is unneccesary.

I would appreciate Senators comments on the matter.

An unnecessary cut, in my opinion, especially since we were winding down. I'll support it if it will get this freaking process moving and have a final vote called sooner.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »

An unnecessary cut, in my opinion, especially since we were winding down. I'll support it if it will get this freaking process moving and have a final vote called sooner.

I wasn't trying to be obtuse about it and I certainly don't want to hold things up too much! But the Help Atlasia Study Act will raise sufficient funds to subsidy tertiary education from the 0.5% top rate tax hike; I don't see why it should be given a further $20bn.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »

I wasn't trying to be obtuse about it and I certainly don't want to hold things up too much! But the Help Atlasia Study Act will raise sufficient funds to subsidy tertiary education from the 0.5% top rate tax hike; I don't see why it should be given a further $20bn.

I'm not upset with you, I just want this passed before the election considering this bill has been debated for nearly a month. Tongue

I'll accept your amendment, though, so we don't have to add two more days to this bill's lifespan.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2009, 04:47:11 PM »

That's silly, you may as well include a clause in every bill asking every region whether or not they want to support or reject the legislation. This seems like nothing more than encouraging regions to screw things up.

So we just assume the regions accept the funding? I'm not saying do this for every bill, but when it involves direct funding to the regions (which, as far as I can tell, they have the right to reject) I think we should make sure the money actually gets there.

We have instituted these sorts of provisions in a plethora of legislation to good effect, most notably the Help Atlasia Study Act. I'm not really sure I understand your reasoning.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »

So we just assume the regions accept the funding? I'm not saying do this for every bill, but when it involves direct funding to the regions (which, as far as I can tell, they have the right to reject) I think we should make sure the money actually gets there.

We have instituted these sorts of provisions in a plethora of legislation to good effect, most notably the Help Atlasia Study Act. I'm not really sure I understand your reasoning.

Can we get this damn thing finished already?

I support Marokai Blue's amendment, but I oppose PS's. I also don't really see the need to hold this up over Afleitch's either, get it in or get it defeated, just do it quickly please.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »

a. $25 billion to exempt the first $5000 collected through unemployment compensation from taxation until December 31, 2010

How is this taxed? Is it treated as income and taxed or is it taxed seperately? I ask because the 2007 tax bill could mean that this already goes untaxed.

I've looked this up but could do with a little help. It seems to be taxed as income. Which means in Atlasia the first $5000 and indeed more, is already untaxed (or rather subject to an effective 0% tax rate)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »

Geez guys, we have, what, two weeks until the end of the session? We will get this passed. Calm down and let's finish this on a high note. There are two pending amendments, with Marokai accepting afleitch's as friendly. That isn't a lot and we have plenty of time.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »

Geez guys, we have, what, two weeks until the end of the session? We will get this passed. Calm down and let's finish this on a high note. There are two pending amendments, with Marokai accepting afleitch's as friendly. That isn't a lot and we have plenty of time.

I am calm Smiley

I am just concerned we may be allocating $25bn for a tax cut on unemployment compensation that we already have , $20bn on funding for tertiary education that has already been secured through another act and we may be give 700 bucks to those who switch to renewable sources when it's not clear what 'sources' we are counting.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »

I am calm Smiley

I am just concerned we may be allocating $25bn for a tax cut on unemployment compensation that we already have , $20bn on funding for tertiary education that has already been secured through another act and we may be give 700 bucks to for those who switch to renewable sources when it's not clear what 'sources' we are counting.

It's not you I'm worried about afleitch.

We actually have until the first Friday in September to finish this, right? That's 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not sure why more amendments are suddenly scary. I will be voting for this bill and we will be passing this before the session ends, but I want this bill to be as good as possible. I don't consider it to be at that level when there are serious questions about large chunk of spending and how the money is to be accepted by the regions.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »

I am calm Smiley

I am just concerned we may be allocating $25bn for a tax cut on unemployment compensation that we already have , $20bn on funding for tertiary education that has already been secured through another act and we may be give 700 bucks to for those who switch to renewable sources when it's not clear what 'sources' we are counting.

We actually have until the first Friday in September to finish this, right? That's 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not sure why more amendments are suddenly scary. I will be voting for this bill and we will be passing this before the session ends, but I want this bill to be as good as possible. I don't consider it to be at that level when there are serious questions about large chunk of spending and how the money is to be accepted by the regions.

What a way to call me out, PS. What happened to doing things privately? Tongue

I haven't been calm in about 2 years. I live a life of stress, I even have a stress related illness to prove it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »

I am calm Smiley

I haven't been calm in about 2 years. I live a life of stress, I even have a stress related illness to prove it.

Just wanted to make sure afleitch doesn't think I'm calling him out. Wink

But seriously guys, lets work on the remaining amendments and commit to getting a final vote by August 21st. We still have until September 4 before the new session starts, so that is plenty of time to both work on amendments and have a well placed final vote.

Does that work for everyone?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2009, 06:35:25 PM »

I am calm Smiley

Just wanted to make sure afleitch doesn't think I'm calling him out. Wink

But seriously guys, lets work on the remaining amendments and commit to getting a final vote by August 21st. We still have until September 4 before the new session starts, so that is plenty of time to both work on amendments and have a well placed final vote.

Does that work for everyone?

Works for me.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2009, 07:40:28 AM »

I hereby open up a vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2009, 07:44:28 AM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite