2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:59:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: 2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)  (Read 29633 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »

Internal investment is best, but we need to make sure we are getting the most for our money with this package. Spending far too much just so we can pay an inefficient American contractor doesn't allow the bad companies to die. So, rather than simply repealing the "Buy America" clause, how is this?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think this is acceptable.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 11:10:28 PM »

Internal investment is best, but we need to make sure we are getting the most for our money with this package. Spending far too much just so we can pay an inefficient American contractor doesn't allow the bad companies to die. So, rather than simply repealing the "Buy America" clause, how is this?

I am leaning towards accepting this and withdrawing mine, however I shall need to ponder it for a short while. In the mean time, Marokai, would you be willing add a section dealing with the credit crisis or would prefer to do that in a separate bill?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »

I am leaning towards accepting this and withdrawing mine, however I shall need to ponder it for a short while. In the mean time, Marokai, would you be willing add a section dealing with the credit crisis or would prefer to do that in a separate bill?

Compromise ain't so bad, eh? Wink

I think a separate bill for the credit crisis would be in order.

I do think that this bill is far too small. I would like to see it reach closer to $1 trillion, with the added expenditures all placed in the Infrastructure Investment section.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »

I do think that this bill is far too small. I would like to see it reach closer to $1 trillion, with the added expenditures all placed in the Infrastructure Investment section.

I too favor a separate bill to deal with the credit issues. And I'm in agreement it needs to be expanded, have anything in mind?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

I too favor a separate bill to deal with the credit issues. And I'm in agreement it needs to be expanded, have anything in mind?

Okay then I won't push that on this. But we need to move soon on the credit crisis or it will cancel out any gains made off this.

I have a suggestion, how about squeezing in a few billion more for light Rail and modernising the power grid. Another one I could suggest but I can guess your reaction is a few billion for replacing or repairing military equiptment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 11:35:55 PM »

I agree with the spending proposed by NC Yank, in addition to a massive alternative energy construction funding.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 11:40:06 PM »

I agree with the spending proposed by NC Yank, in addition to a massive alternative energy construction funding.

And should we build massive wind farms and arrays of solar panels throughout the deserts, who would get ownership of these things and the electricity they produce? I would prefer the creation of government-owned utilities..
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 11:42:36 PM »

And should we build massive wind farms and arrays of solar panels throughout the deserts, who would get ownership of these things and the electricity they produce? I would prefer the creation of government-owned utilities..

I think partnerships would be appropriate. What is the incentive for private organizations to establish these things if they don't profit? It would also, long-run, greatly expand the government's expenses to run these things. We need to promote private innovation and construction, but possibly in a joint venture with the government until our share is bought out.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »

I think partnerships would be appropriate. What is the incentive for private organizations to establish these things if they don't profit? It would also, long-run, greatly expand the government's expenses to run these things. We need to promote private innovation and construction, but possibly in a joint venture with the government until our share is bought out.

I see your point, but we still retain things like the Tennessee Valley Authority, which has remained a fair and competitive government owned power company, and there are other renewable examples to look at, like Hydro-Quebec, as successful programs that are incredibly innovative.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 11:49:55 PM »

It would also, long-run, greatly expand the government's expenses to run these things.

Long-run, government would make money from those utilities. We must see that as a new revenue source for Atlasia. Joint ventures often cause money loss for the government. We must choose the better way to use the taxpayer's money.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 11:53:47 PM »

I see your point, but we still retain things like the Tennessee Valley Authority, which has remained a fair and competitive government owned power company, and there are other renewable examples to look at, like Hydro-Quebec, as successful programs that are incredibly innovative.

Yes, I can read your sig well enough on my own. Wink

While those examples are nice, they are not nearly on the scale that the renewable energy projects would be. There are also people (T. Boone Pickens) that are ready and willing to tap into their vast networks to build these things cheaply and effectively. We are far better off going into partnership with these guys and promoting private investment. Otherwise, these costs will not be stimulative, but rather permanent debt that we will continue to pay forever.

It would also, long-run, greatly expand the government's expenses to run these things.

Long-run, government would make money from those utilities. We must see that as a new revenue source for Atlasia. Joint ventures often cause money loss for the government. We must choose the better way to use the taxpayer's money.

I'm not sure what your source for the joint-venture claim is, but it is also best that we not put all our eggs in one basket. What if the initiative is a relative failure? Should we take the brunt of it on our own? The private sector should be involved.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »

The Grid alone to connect these wind and solar farms to the major cities on the east and west coast costs about $100 Billion according to the same, T Boone Pickens. So I think public and private partnerships are deffinately in order here. Keep in mind that Wind and Solar power plants need back-up plants largely fueled by Natural Gas, or worse(if you are environmentalist) traditional coal fired plants. So that means we should work to increase the supply of Natural Gas to avoid price increases on that.

As for my amendment on the "Buy Atlasian" provisions  I have decided to..................persue a vote on it. Should it fail I will vote for PS amendment and be done with it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 12:18:09 AM »

As for my amendment on the "Buy Atlasian" provisions  I have decided to..................persue a vote on it. Should it fail I will vote for PS amendment and be done with it.

I'll be voting against that in favor of what I hope is my more sensible, efficient amendment.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 01:30:16 AM »

I shall be voting for NCYankee's amendment, but I have no problem accepting Purple State's compromise in the event that the first one fails.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 01:50:29 AM »

As Lt. Governor of the Dirty South, I strongly urge all senators to vote against this bill.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 01:58:47 AM »

As Lt. Governor of the Dirty South, I strongly urge all senators to vote against this bill.

I appreciate your lengthy and detailed imput. I'm terrified of the influence of your office. Sad
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

I appreciate your lengthy and detailed imput. I'm terrified of the influence of your office. Sad

So statesmen cannot give their opinions on legislation? Especially when they might be joining your chamber in two months?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 04:20:40 PM »

So statesmen cannot give their opinions on legislation? Especially when they might be joining your chamber in two months?

Then I want your opinion on the legislation, not "vote against it! bad bad bill!"
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »

I regretably inform the distinguished Lt. Governor that if this trade issue is resolved and the Auto section modified, I will most likely vote FOR this bill.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

I hereby open up a vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »

Aye
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »

Aye
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »

Nay
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »

Nay. We have a completely reasonable alternative.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »

Nay. My compromise is far superior to simply cutting this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies