Split-ticket voting in 1964?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:34:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Split-ticket voting in 1964?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Split-ticket voting in 1964?  (Read 2442 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:22:07 AM »

The question is as in the title. I've probably posted a dozen threads about the 1964 election by this point, but it is an election that continues to fascinate me, given that it's the last time a Democratic presidential candidate won a landslide victory, the last time a Democrat won by double digits, and the last time that several states (i.e. Alaska, Kansas, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Oklahoma) went Democratic. As the title indicates, how extensive was ticket-splitting that year? Which Republicans managed to survive major defeats for Goldwater in their districts and/or states? And how many Republican congressional districts were won by Johnson? What about the Democratic districts in the South that Goldwater carried?

Your insights would be greatly appreciated.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:17:25 AM »

I stumbled across this house map a few days ago and it made me believe in Presidential coattails again.

Look at that... Republicans in Alabama of all places were pretty much unheard of then. Everywhere else, it was a Democratic wave. Interestingly, many Republicans in liberal states were able to hold on to their seats, likely because they put a ten foot pole between themselves and Barry (I don't know the intricacies of these house races, but it's likely that quite a few Republicans endorsed Johnson or at least publicly repudiated Goldwater).

The Senate races are kind of funny for this year. Less likely that there were coattails there because it's basically the same wave in different places.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Governors races were ticket-splitting at its' finest.

Aaaaand the Presidential map for comparison:

If anyone can provide better insights than me, and anyone can, please do so.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:23:54 AM »

Split-ticket voting was largely Johnson-GOP outside the South. There were a few exceptions in the West though. In WA, a lot of Goldwater voters also supported hawkish Scoop Jackson for Senate, and a lot of MT Goldwater voters split tickets for Senator Mike Mansfield. Senator Frank Moss also outperformed Johnson by a few points in Utah.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:58:39 AM »

Split-ticket voting was largely Johnson-GOP outside the South. There were a few exceptions in the West though. In WA, a lot of Goldwater voters also supported hawkish Scoop Jackson for Senate, and a lot of MT Goldwater voters split tickets for Senator Mike Mansfield. Senator Frank Moss also outperformed Johnson by a few points in Utah.

The split-ticket voting for Jackson is something that astonishes me as well. In every election after he won his first term (from ~1958 I believe to 1982, the year before his death), he always won every county in Washington and never got lower than 68% or so of the vote. That is the definition of a popular incumbent.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »

Are there any other examples of extensive ticket-splitting in 1964? In terms of specific races?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »

Are there any other examples of extensive ticket-splitting in 1964? In terms of specific races?
Fewer than I suspected, since Dems romped in the Senate in 1964, just as they did at the Presidential level.

One notable example of ticket-splitting was (unsurprisingly) Vermont, which Johnson carried with 66.3% of the vote, but which voted to re-elect Sen. Winston Prouty (R) with 53.4% of the vote.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »

Most of my older relatives voted Johnson/GOP. German Catholic Republicans who thought Goldwater was a crazy person.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »

Most of my older relatives voted Johnson/GOP. German Catholic Republicans who thought Goldwater was a crazy person.

Interesting anecdote. The last part seems to be why so many Republican voters went for Johnson that year, because they didn't trust Goldwater as competent enough to handle policy on the world stage.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »

I'm still interested in these questions that I posted: How many Republican congressional districts were won by Johnson? What about the Democratic districts in the South that Goldwater carried? These weren't answered previously.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 12:45:45 AM »

I'm still interested in these questions that I posted: How many Republican congressional districts were won by Johnson? What about the Democratic districts in the South that Goldwater carried? These weren't answered previously.

Katman provides maps with the answer.  You'd just have to some enlarging.  And given that Goldwater hardly won any CDs outside of the South, Suburban Chicago and Southern California, it's easier to count which Rs represented a Goldwater district and subtract from there.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:25 PM »

My grandfather voted for Lyndon but otherwise voted GOP. He was a business-owner, but was passionate about Civil Rights and wanted a "sane" President.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:18:28 AM »

Interesting anecdote. The last part seems to be why so many Republican voters went for Johnson that year, because they didn't trust Goldwater as competent enough to handle policy on the world stage.

I really think that's the big reason Goldwater did so badly too. It wasn't out of hate of his policies or love for Johnson, it was really due to doubts about his competence.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 03:20:23 PM »

My grandfather voted for Lyndon but otherwise voted GOP. He was a business-owner, but was passionate about Civil Rights and wanted a "sane" President.

Interesting. Johnson carried all of New Jersey's congressional districts, at least four or five of which also returned Republican Representatives.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies