Breyer not retiring (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:34:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breyer not retiring (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breyer not retiring  (Read 3293 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: July 02, 2021, 06:46:27 PM »

I hate how I still feel so hopeless about this country's future even though the party that tries governing in goo faith has a trifecta. It's almost even more infuriating than when Trump was President. Don't get me wrong though, I'd still rather live in this present than in the past four years. I just don't feel as sane as would be ideal.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 05:08:14 PM »

Young people get so impatient. Chill out.

80s is the new 70s, so he's basically 72. Seems to have all his faculties. And he's healthy.

Where is the respect?

It's not about his age, it's about control of Congress and the country's future. Democrats have a trifecta right now, why risk another McConnell stonewall in the future to get his successor confirmed? He seems blissfully ignorant of the new dynamics of judicial confirmations in our country. Whether he's healthy or not, this really should be part of any Justice nominated by a Democratic President in their calculation of when to retire.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 05:07:19 PM »

Young people get so impatient. Chill out.

80s is the new 70s, so he's basically 72. Seems to have all his faculties. And he's healthy.

Where is the respect?

It's not about his age, it's about control of Congress and the country's future. Democrats have a trifecta right now, why risk another McConnell stonewall in the future to get his successor confirmed? He seems blissfully ignorant of the new dynamics of judicial confirmations in our country. Whether he's healthy or not, this really should be part of any Justice nominated by a Democratic President in their calculation of when to retire.

Well, the guy deserves to retire when he wants to retire. For him, he probably feels that he deserves respect for all the good service he has provided for the country. You and those who think like you are playing politics with someone's life here. Maybe he's selfish, maybe he's not. Maybe he feels he has some good years left to offer.

Maybe our strategy should be to get rid of McConnell. How about that? Or to change the rules of the Supreme Court and who can serve and for how long.

The Constitution states that Justices "shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour." This means that the Justices hold office as long as they choose and can only be removed from office by impeachment.

I agree that both of those remedies are probably more ideal, but also much more fantastical. They are not going to happen in the days before the 2022 midterms, and probably not even after.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:02:04 PM »

I'm not going to start pulling my hair out unless we're having this same discussion exactly one year from now.

You know it's going to happen, right?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:31:58 PM »

I'm not going to start pulling my hair out unless we're having this same discussion exactly one year from now.

You know it's going to happen, right?

I have no idea what's going to happen but I think it's more likely than not that he announces his retirement at the end of the next term. I'm sure in the leadup to that people will be freaking out though if that's what you mean.

No, I legitimately think he's going to refuse to retire and then die, or something, once the GOP takes over again. We live in the worst timeline and I can't help but expect the worst anymore.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 02:29:31 PM »

Bumping for no particular reason. Just been on my mind as of late I suppose

Mine too. I was hoping that Breyer would see what was going on and finally decide that it wasn't worth waiting any longer.

But alas, with how everything seems destined to suck, Democrats are going to lose the Senate for a decade and that's when he'll retire, if he doesn't die first
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies