If Hoover blamed Coolidge.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:16:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If Hoover blamed Coolidge.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hoover blamed Coolidge....  (Read 3097 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:49:04 PM »
« edited: April 13, 2013, 08:54:16 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

Ugh. . . . . . :

1920's:

29. Warren G. Harding (Republican-Ohio) 1921-1923
30. Calvin Coolidge (Republican-Massachusetts) 1923-1929
31. Herbert Hoover (Republican-California) 1929-1933

Vs.

2000's:

43. George W. Bush (Republican-Texas) 2001-2009
44. Barack Obama (Democratic-Illinois) 2009-Present

Yeah.. . . . . . . . why did Hoover hold back on criticizing his predecessors?

Don't get me started on the whole "Hoover doesn't deserve the blame" meme that seems to be popular.  Herbert Hoover deserved as much blame as possible for a man who governed during his time.  He did nothing to better the situation, did nothing to correct the flaws in place that allowed said Depression to happen, and in fact willingly did things against the advice of practically every goddamn economist in the world for the sake of partisan hackery that actually made the situation worse.
He might've been a good man, but he was a horrible president.

Obama, on the other hand, while not magically improving the economic follies of Bush, has tried to improve upon his faults.  Such that I can't say about Hoover.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »

Half a year is hardly "a few months".

Anyway, Hoover blaming Coolidge makes about as much sense as Van Buren blaming Jackson for the 1837 Panic.

And again, Hoover was such a horrible president that its highly unlikely he would've come close to the conclusion necessary.

Good man, but like many I know he was dumber than a bag of bricks.  At least as president.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »

Obamanation, ponder this:

A customer orders a Pepperoni Pizza with extra jalapeņo peppers, mushrooms, and some bacon bits.  Employee A makes the pizza shortly before leaving shift.  Employee B takes the pizza to the customer.  Thirty seconds later the customer takes the pizza back to Employee B, pointing out that Employee A put banana peppers on the pizza and forgot the bacon bits.  Employee B apologizes, and then goes to the back to fix the pizza.  Employee B comes back and gives the pizza back to the customer.  Customer looks at the pizza and groans, loudly pointing out that he specifically stated that he wanted jalapeņo peppers on the pizza, not no peppers at all.  Further, they wanted bacon bits, not cold pre packaged whole bacon on top of the pizza.  Employee B apologizes profusely, noting that the loud music in the restaurant distorted what he heard, and that he would fix the pizza up for the customer.  Employee B takes the pizza to the back, trips over a cord, and the pizza hits the floor in plain view of the customer up front.  The customer, enraged at the incompetence, yells at the top of his lungs and face contorted in rage "I WANT A NEW PIZZA!"  Enter Employee C, who just got off the phone from a delivery customer who has apologized profusely for canceling at the last minute, who comes to the front and asks the customer if they would like the brand new Buffalo Chicken pizza with polish sausage and jalapenos, extra large, free of charge while he personally remakes their pizza as originally ordered.  The customer, who always wanted to try the Buffalo Chicken pizza but didn't because it was too pricey, is like "okay, I guess I can try it now.  Hey thanks for taking care of this mess!  I hope your manager fires this asshole." (points at Employee B)

Now, I'm sure that by now you put it together who these three employees are, so let me ask: Does the fact that Employee A screwed up the original order excuse Employee B from his screwing it up even further?  Especially considering that Employee B didn't understand what the real problem was with it?

Employee C is just on the side to please the FDR fans Grin.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies