Irish Demographic Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:48:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish Demographic Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Irish Demographic Maps  (Read 34577 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »

Now the Mothers...

Giving our historical fertility rate (about 4 per women in the early 70s to about 1.8 during Da Keltic Tigah to a slight increase very close to 2.1 now which is btw the highest in the EU) this is somewhat a map of female olds.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »

Now the Mothers...

Giving our historical fertility rate (about 4 per women in the early 70s to about 1.8 during Da Keltic Tigah to a slight increase very close to 2.1 now which is btw the highest in the EU) this is somewhat a map of female olds.

... and as such a nice indicator of longer-term migration / regional development trends, which to me appear like
1) suburbanisation around Dublin and Cork,
2) moderate urban development in Galway and Limerick, prossibly also in Waterford and Dundalk,
3) Outmigration from the North-East (partly balanced by cross-border influx from Northern Ireland)
4) Low overall dynamic in the remainder of the country.

The mortgage map tells a similar story, except for that one constituency half-way between, but a bit north of Dublin and Galway.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:10 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2013, 12:43:09 AM by Latham Circle »

Ask and you shall receive.

I decided to use Orange as my colour for this map. At one time it would have been perfect, now well it is still very appropriate but not entirely: Dublin West (14.5%) here is the real anomaly as the constituency with the highest percentage and it is not a historic protestant area (which most of the others in dark shades are). In short, I strongly suspect that this is a Historic Protestant populations + Recent non-Eastern European migrants map. Lowest was Limerick West (3.27%)

In only three constituencies was the % for non-religion higher than that for Other religion stated: Dublin Central, Dublin North Central and Cork North Central although in all cases it was by narrow margins.

This reminds me of my IRC arguments with oakvale when I pointed out the existence of a Dublin Vineyard and then the argument over how the people who go to the Belfast Vineyard vote (I think it was generally agreed upon they would mostly vote Alliance.) I should see if the Dublin Vineyard is located in Dublin West...
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »

Ask and you shall receive.

I decided to use Orange as my colour for this map. At one time it would have been perfect, now well it is still very appropriate but not entirely: Dublin West (14.5%) here is the real anomaly as the constituency with the highest percentage and it is not a historic protestant area (which most of the others in dark shades are). In short, I strongly suspect that this is a Historic Protestant populations + Recent non-Eastern European migrants map. Lowest was Limerick West (3.27%)

In only three constituencies was the % for non-religion higher than that for Other religion stated: Dublin Central, Dublin North Central and Cork North Central although in all cases it was by narrow margins.

This reminds me of my IRC arguments with oakvale when I pointed out the existence of a Dublin Vineyard and then the argument over how the people who go to the Belfast Vineyard vote (I think it was generally agreed upon they would mostly vote Alliance.) I should see if the Dublin Vineyard is located in Dublin West...

The Dublin Vineyard is on Aungier Street (Dublin South East). Dublin West is more likely to be various brands of African Pentecostalist and Holiness churches, Russian and Romanian Orthodox and (not necessarily practising) Islam.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

Now the Mothers...

... and as such a nice indicator of longer-term migration / regional development trends, which to me appear like
1) suburbanisation around Dublin and Cork,
2) moderate urban development in Galway and Limerick, prossibly also in Waterford and Dundalk,
3) Outmigration from the North-East (partly balanced by cross-border influx from Northern Ireland)
4) Low overall dynamic in the remainder of the country.

The mortgage map tells a similar story, except for that one constituency half-way between, but a bit north of Dublin and Galway.

The Great Map of Irish Mammies above may show that to a degree, but I suspect it might be also be a proxy for social conservatism.

Galway city has very high urban development, by the way, with the rural part of Galway West being much more similar to the rest of rural Connacht, and the urbanisation in Louth is as if not more likely to be driven by Drogheda than Dundalk.

I think the constituency "half-way between, but a bit north of Dublin and Galway" is Longford-Westmeath.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »

Heat....

Obvious correlation with the map of very old housing, surprisingly enough....
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »

I have to thank Afleitch for the county map first and foremost (If somewhat oversized)... Here is some new data for the 2011 Census, starting with Muslims

All sorts of curiosities to me here, I want to know about those 139 Muslims in Leitrim for a start...
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2013, 05:06:39 AM »

Fairly clueless about Ireland, so these have been great.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2013, 08:38:02 AM »

All sorts of curiosities to me here, I want to know about those 139 Muslims in Leitrim for a start...

Even Leitrim has kebab houses.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2013, 11:07:24 AM »

Even Leitrim has kebab houses.

True. I even saw one the last time I was in Carrick-on-Shannon, I sort of curious though if there any in the rest of the county and if so, why?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »

In the 1990s, the first kebab stalls in smaller East German towns were usually run by Germans.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

Another minority religion - less stated members than Muslims now.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »

Employment in Manufacturing...

This data was harder to find as isn't put on the main SAPS Dáil constituency page but rather was dispersed across the Oireachtas' 43 individual constituency review pieces - which is why there is only one decimal point involved here. For the sake of simplicity, I said the results of the 2006 census were the source involved here as they were the source of the Oireachtas' constituency reviews.

Of course, it should be noted, as it will be for later employment maps that much has changed in Irish employment patterns since 2006 due to, well, you know, that thing which has happened...

(The Census divides employment into 1) Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing 2) Building and Construction whose map is going to look hilarious in retrospect if I decide to do it 3) Manufacturing industries (which is the above) 4) Trade & Commerce 5) Transport & Communications 6) Public Administration 7) Health and Education and Cool Other)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »

I like the subtle link with the age of building map this has in parts of Dublin.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »

I wouldn't exactly call my link subtle, but it's your choose.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »

I like the subtle link with the age of building map this has in parts of Dublin.

Subtle link with "old money" in Dublin, perhaps.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »

What is that one place in the South-West where manufacturing is so high? (forgive me I know nothing about Ireland)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 09:47:44 PM by Japhy Ryder »

What is that one place in the South-West where manufacturing is so high? (forgive me I know nothing about Ireland)

Limerick. Some (have no idea how much but a quite significant amount at least) of that is gone now o/c.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »

For various reasons including the method of Census taking, the difficulties of measuring and defining 'unemployment', the confusion the Irish media abets in reporting on this topic and the constant shifts in some measurements and definitions in addition to the difficulties of actually finding this data (the CSO can be remarkably unhelpful sometimes at this sort of thing) this map comes with a massive, massive health warning. Numbers are not to be taken wholly seriously, instead geography.

What is gnerally agree however is that the worst areas for unemployment are in Limerick and Waterford Cities and in Donegal. Since the census, there has been only slight changes in the numbers.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »

For those interested here is very good collection of Old Irish Demographic maps.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2013, 07:21:25 AM »

And who manufactures in Waterford?

Also, twentynine percent?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »

And who manufactures in Waterford?

Also, twentynine percent?

Yes, it is a large (by Irish standards) working class city which has long had a reputation for 'problems' and crime, especially in some of its northern housing estates. It had the highest unemployment rate in the 2006 Census as well and some of its wards suffer from very high levels of social deprivation. John's A ward being the worst in the country. Also some of the wealthier areas connected to the city are outside the city council's boundaries. That area was the homeland of the old PDs.

See also here:
Limerick Estates are unemployment blackspots
Seven of top 10 jobless blackspots in Limerick

Just to show how out of date my employment maps are now:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »

Now the Mothers...

Or perhaps of minorities with many children (for example the area just north of Dublin)?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »

Now the Mothers...

Or perhaps of minorities with many children (for example the area just north of Dublin)?

No, as those are the most 'indigenous' parts of the city. We've only been having mass immigration since the mid-90s anyway.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2013, 06:48:11 PM »

As described in the gallery, this map effectively shows private renting.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies