Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:17:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 13772 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« on: November 01, 2023, 07:44:58 PM »

Wikimedia Commons

Eugene McCarthy bristled. Four years ago he put his political life on the line fighting for what was right when no one else would. He had implored others to take on the role of challenging President Johnson and his war, but no one heeded the call. Only through the grit and determination of his supporters was he able to nearly outright win the New Hampshire primary and in so doing, force Lyndon Johnson into an early retirement. But with all that followed, the Kennedy campaign, the assassinations, the tumultuous summer, he had been swept aside and when the time was just right, the nomination was stolen from him, no-from the people, by a band of thugs.

He thought about what happened next. Under Humphrey's toeing the line the Democratic Party had lost. One of the most vile and dishonest men McCarthy had ever known sat in the Oval Office. After all the consequences of what happened in Chicago, they would have to see that the Democratic Party must go down a different path. It had to listen to its voters again. And if it didn't, McCarthy would make them one way or another.

He had taken a seat back from the Senate. While many viewed this as a misstep, this gave McCarthy one key advantage: time. Without having to deal with the squabbling in Washington, he could serve as a full time candidate, reaching new voters every day, a privilege his competitors would most certainly not have. As a cold midwestern winter arrived, McCarthy set his sights one city: Chicago. Here he would make his stand, on the sight of the battlegrounds of four years ago. He wouldn't let the voters forget how he stood alone or let any usurpers take his place. He prepared his announcement at a public event at Grant Park, the sight of the bloodshed.

Wikimedia Commons

Friends, thank you for joining me today. It was four years ago that in this very city, I stood and spoke against the most unjust war our country has plunged itself into. I said then that it seemed the only message the current administration had for the American people was one of fear. One that divided the people through violence, through intimidation and through deception. And it was that same politics of fear that led to the injustice we saw at the Democratic National Convention and all over this city, including in the very park we stand in now. This politics of fear, a politics that sees the voters of this country as merely pawns to serve the whims of the powerful.

But despite this injustice, we saw that the people have the power to stand against this kind of anti-democratic, elitist politics. In New Hampshire, we delivered a crippling blow to the administration, forcing the President to stand down. I beamed as I saw the faces of young people, some of which got "Clean for Gene" as they would say crowd laughs, who had been inspired by the causes we fought for to get involved in our political process. Every citizen who realizes the power they hold in our democracy brings us one step closer to breaking the hold of those who control the levers of the political process.

But now, four years later, we find ourself under another administration which seeks to instill fear in the hearts of Americans. One that promised to end the war, but has instead expanded it. And one that has caused a culture of lies and corruption to take hold in Washington. When I stepped back from the Senate, it was because I saw how many of our members of Congress have followed the lead of the current administration. This can not, should not and will not continue. It's time to return our democracy to the people. To stand up for the values this nation was built on. And to do this we will need a candidate who is ready to speak truth to power against the strongest adversity. I've been there, I've reckoned with those forces, and I'm asking that you once again lend me your hands in this mission. And it is for this reason that I officially announce my candidacy for President of the United States

McCarthy '72: Democracy for the People
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 07:50:52 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2023, 12:18:48 AM by Left Wing »

Official Statement from McCarthy Campaign:
Wikimedia Commons

Senator McCarthy intends to contest the Illinois and Wisconsin Primaries, two states in which he was victorious four years ago. All resources at the present moment will be focused on advertisement and get-out-the-vote efforts in Illinois, while additional resources will be put into laying the groundwork to achieving ballot access in Wisconsin. The Senator will complete a tour of all regions of the state, meeting voters in-person and listening to their concerns. We will also be urging support of a slate of anti-war unpledged electors in Iowa, in tandem with the Lindsay and McGovern campaigns.

To the voters of New Hampshire, we appreciate your support four years ago, but to stop this war we need to be strategic about where our resources are best spent. We urge you to cast your ballots for Mayor John Lindsay, someone you can trust to fight for the Democratic Party to support an immediate end to the war in Vietnam.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 12:49:10 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2023, 01:21:17 PM by Left Wing »

The McCarthy campaign announced its "5 Point Plan", an easily digestible platform which campaigners would begin mass printing and sharing across the state of Illinois in English and in Spanish in Chicago's Lower West Side neighborhood

The McCarthy Five-Point Plan for Restoring American Democracy:

1. Restoring Dignity to Foreign Policy:

The time to end the war in Vietnam is long past due. Under a McCarthy administration, the United States will perform an immediate withdrawal from the region, including any other military activities in Indochina. Similarly, we will put an end to American support for undemocratic coup d'etats worldwide. We cannot credibly present ourselves to the global community as a defender of self-determination while we perform these immoral actions. While remaining vigilant against international threats, we will gravitate to a policy of diplomacy. We will call a special session of the United Nations and pursue an international nuclear arms control agreement. We must also be wary of expanding our nation's role in international trade due to the downturn we have begun to see in many of our manufacturing communities.

2. Making Politics Ethical Again

Anyone can see plainly how a culture of deception and self-interest has descended over Washington. This problem goes all the way to the very top and the loss of trust the American people have had with the Executive Department. It's time to restore that trust. Under a McCarthy administration, all relevant documents surrounding President Nixon's abuses of power and deception with regard to Vietnam will be declassified and made available to the public. A McCarthy administration will also enact new ethics rules limiting the ability of members of Congress or the Executive Branch from abusing their positions for political or financial gain. We must also reform our electoral system to ensure the popular will of the people is the most paramount political object of desire. To do this we will make a renewed effort in passing the proposed Bayh-Celler constitutional amendment, making the presidency decided by a national popular vote. We will also reform our primary system to uphold this same concept and prevent the division and bloodshed of four years ago.

3. An End to American Poverty:

We must have a federally subsidized insurance program to assure that no citizen will be deprived of health care for lack of funds. Most states require automobile liability insurance. There is no reason why the same concept cannot apply to the vital area of health care. We also must introduce a monthly "minimum income" for all Americans to ensure all peoples are able to access the basic essentials of life. The rate at which this income grows would be tied directly to inflation and annually adjusted through analysis by a congressionally appointed review panel. In addition, a McCarthy administration will seek a full employment economy, accompanied by strong labor protections through a repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act. A McCarthy administration will also work tirelessly to ensure a home for every American through a massive   building project, funded by the federal government, similar to the efforts that brought about the Interstate Highway Program.

4. Education for all Americans

Every American deserves access to good education that meets their needs. We must first continue the progress of the Civil Rights Movement both with more integration in our schools as well as more funding for underserved institutions. We must also expand the Headstart program so that our nation's youngster begin on a path of education. We must also acknowledge that the Government's responsibility in education does not end once a citizen reaches the age of majority. I propose a mass program to upgrade the education of our adults who are trapped in poverty. This can be accomplished through federally subsidized on-the-job training, through special vocational schools and through adult literacy courses.

5. Justice in our Justice System

The corruption and brutality present in our law enforcement nationwide has grown at an unacceptable rate in the last four years. A McCarthy administration would put an end to this by using the power of the Justice Department to investigate Police Departments suspected of violating citizen's constitutional and civil rights. Additionally, a McCarthy administration will amend the Law Enforcement Assistance Act to prevent use of military weaponry on American citizens. A McCarthy Administration will also work to create more equitable outcomes in our legal system, chiefly by abolishing the death penalty due to its racially unbalanced application.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 08:15:25 PM »

The McCarthy Strategy

Eugene McCarthy knew one of his strongest sells is "consistency". Nearly every other candidate in the race has had it both ways on one issue or another, especially the war in Vietnam. His history and name recognition as the face of intra-Democratic Party opposition to the war were unparalleled. While touring the state of Illinois his stump speech would always serve to remind voters of what he had achieved four years ago in taking down an incumbent President.

The omnipresent force stacked against him in the City of Chicago was Mayor Daley's vicious machine. McCarthy and his supporters had felt first-hand, four years ago at the convention the lengths at which he was willing to go to achieve his political aims. McCarthy was well aware that Daley would employ all resources at his disposal to push his Uncommitted Slate of electors. To counteract this, McCarthy would begin to consolidate the support of what anti-Daley forces existed in Chicago, starting with anti-Daley political upstart Alderman William Singer. In the early days of January, Singer would accompany McCarthy on his canvasing of Chicago's neighborhoods and hitting back on Mayor Daley's subversion of the Democratic process.

Because of Chicago's multicultural status, McCarthy knew he had to refine his pitch to appeal to the cities many ethnic groups. His biggest target were the cities Black voters, who had grown increasingly tired of Daley and his apathy towards suffering in their communities. McCarthy would emphasize his unwavering support for school integration and his plans to crack down on urban poverty and food insecurity. McCarthy also sought to tap into the potentially powerful voting bloc of the growing Mexican-American and Puerto Rican communities in Chicago. The campaign would seek to employ as many bilingual volunteers as possible in the city and prepare campaign material in Spanish.

The other demographic appeal McCarthy would undertake would be that of the Chicago area's large Irish Catholic community. Though Daley was, to some, a hero in Chicago's Irish community, it was not lost on McCarthy that he too was an Irish Catholic of which he would emphasize frequently. While on the trail full-time in Chicago, he would make a point of attending various Mass services in the area, hoping to both soften his image and create word of mouth among voters in communities like Bridgeport and Cicero.

As well to unite the party's left and present himself as the standard bearer for the anti-war wing ahead of his appeal to the Rad/Lib caucus McCarthy would issue endorsements for the Senate campaigns of John Durkin and Wayne Morse. In return Morse would write national op-ed praising his record and contrasting McCarthy with the rest of the field

Wayne Morse: Democrats should choose consistency

Excerpt from op-ed:

For seven years our government has pursued a policy of warfare in Vietnam without any official declaration of war. This unconstitutional action was undertaken at the behest of an administration which sought to intimidate Congress by invoking some sort of obligation to "stand by the President", as if consensus was what determined the moral justification of a certain policy. Under this new administration we are now under, we have seen again how the politics of consensus without reason detriment our nation. The "consensus" President Nixon has reached with congress on Vietnam, the economy or fulfilling our commitments to civil rights have all come up woefully short in producing any positive outcomes.

To stand up to this President, the Democratic Party needs to present a new vision for this country and frankly, nobody's buying the about-face half of the major Democratic candidates have made on the conflict. Those who ignored the will of the American people four years ago cannot be trusted to uphold it in the future. The party must choose a candidate who respects the will of their supporters and I believe that candidate to be Eugene McCarthy.

He boldly resisted the will of the administration four years ago, achieving the David-and-Goliath-esque success of toppling an incumbent President. We must again put our faith in a man of intelligence, consistency and grit if we are to retake the Presidency in 1972.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 12:04:12 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 02:42:42 AM by Left Wing »

Letter to the Rad/Lib Caucus

My esteemed friends,

I first would like to say that it warms my heart to see you all, many veterans of my previous campaign, uniting to find common ground and ensure the Democratic Party stays true to its values. Our movement to will only be successful if the people that drive it remain united. What is the movement that we stand for? It is one for a world without war, a nation without poverty and a democracy without corruption. Those are the values I have stood against my entire career and I believe my record of service is best positioned to carry on this mantle heading into this next electoral contest.

While I am not pursuing the contest in New Hampshire this cycle, I ask you to remember what we accomplished in the Granite State four years ago. In the tradition of my late former colleague Estes Kefauver, we again toppled an incumbent President, forcing him to step down. It was one of the most powerful displays of democracy I have ever seen and to all those who helped me along the way, I will be eternally grateful. I ask you to consider this record, consider what we accomplished together when making your decision as to who to support in the upcoming primary contests.

The standard-bearer of American liberalism has to be someone who knows how to deal with overwhelming opposition and win. From challenging Joe McCarthy's witch hunts on national television to standing up to Richard Daley's thuggish political maneuvering, I have never shied away from a challenge. This campaign is the only one which both has the experience to navigate a national primary and deliver on the policies and change we all wish to see in this country. I promise you that on day one of a McCarthy administration, all American military force will be withdrawn from Vietnam and an immediate. pardon for all who evaded the draft in this conflict will be issued. Though I will not be contesting the state of New Hampshire, I humbly request your support, both in the state of Massachusetts and nationally, to show the strength of our combined movement. In the state of New Hampshire, I again urge your support of Mayor John Lindsay, a man I know is also dedicated to these same principles.

Thank you for your consideration,

Jesse Jackson and Curtis Mayfield announce their endorsement of Eugene McCarthy

At a campaign event at the headquarters of Operation PUSH on the South Side of Chicago, the organization's leader and veteran SCLC organizer Rev. Jesse Jackson announced his and his organization's support of Eugene McCarthy. Also in attendance was Alderman William Singer and singer-songwriter and former Impressions member Curtis Mayfield. Jackson denounced the policies of Mayor Daley stating "The disregard the current political leadership in Chicago has for our community is apparent in practically every policy decision we have seen from this mayor's administration. This kind of leadership is unfortunately all too often part and parcel with how the Democratic Party operates. There's only one candidate in this race who I believe has the ability and the will to help all Americans, white, black, brown, red, or yellow. That man is Senator Eugene McCarthy and we're going to do everything we can to see that he is successful here in the state of Illinois."

Mayfield also spoke, announcing the release of a new single "Democracy for the People", titled after McCarthy's campaign slogan, of which will be used to promote the campaign similarly to the Peter, Paul and Mary single "If You Love Your Country" from McCarthy's previous campaign. Records will also be available for purchase at campaign events. Finally McCarthy received questions from reporters, in which he took a shot at Ted Kennedy:

Reporter: What do you have to say to the candidates that have stayed out of the race in Illinois?

I find it very queer that my opponents have chosen not to take part in the primary here in Illinois. After traveling across this great state in the last several weeks, I have seen the great diversity in its people and in my supporters and I think that reflects very well the broad coalition the Democratic Party must unite going into the general election. I especially find it disturbing that some candidates have thrown their support behind Mayor Daley's "uncommitted" delegate slate. In so doing, they have essentially said that they are uninterested in pursuing the state's voters but also wish to leave the possibility open to receive their delegate support. I specifically call on Senator Kennedy to answer why he has chosen to support this kind of anti-democratic politics. To move forward from the bloodshed of four years ago, we must expunge demagogues like Mayor Daley's influence from the Democratic Party, not enhance it. I invite Senator Kennedy to come here to the South Side of Chicago and ask its voters what they think Richard Daley has done for them.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 02:47:00 AM »

Swinging Down South

As the frontrunners continue to duke it out in preparation for the contentious New Hampshire and Florida primaries, Eugene McCarthy will continue to diligently continue his campaign of resistance to the Democratic establishment far away in Illinois. McCarthy will continue his efforts in the city of Chicago to unite the forces opposed to Mayor Daley and his policies with a great boon in the form of the support of teacher/activist Al Raby and his organization, the Coordinating Council of Community Organizations. The CCCO will make every effort to inform voters across Chicago of Senator McCarthy's strong and unwavering commitment to school desegregation, with an emphasis on the heavily Black South Side and Reformist Lakefront. In coordination, Jesse Jackson's PUSH and the CCCO will work together to provide the resources the McCarthy campaign needs to run an insurgent operation in the city of Chicago.

But his campaign would not make the mistake of zeroing in on Chicago alone. McCarthy's 68 victory in the state had also been propelled by voters in southern Illinois, particularly in college towns. McCarthy would take the time as candidates like Muskie or Yorty were more focused on winning in the upcoming New Hampshire primary to gain a foothold in these areas. The McCarthy campaign would begin mailing pamphlets across the population centers of Springfield, Champaign-Urbana and Peoria featuring images of both McCarthy and Daley and featuring the text "Tired of Being Run By Boss Daley? Make a Choice on March 21st." The campaign believes that they can make inroads in these areas by both reminding the same voters who backed McCarthy in 68 that he is still an option and by running against the graft of Chicago politics holding such a tight grip on the levers of power in the state.

The campaign will also begin to address its most pressing crisis: a lack of fundraising. The campaign believes the most potent tool they have to remedy this issue is the support of the Rad-Lib caucus. The intellectuals involved and wealthy relatives of caucus members could pay dividends for the McCarthy campaign's resources if he can successfully harness them. McCarthy will meet directly with Rad-Lib Caucus membership and request them to begin a mailer campaign asking for donations to its membership and including campaign paraphenalia which showcases the tight polling numbers in Illinois and emphasizing the importance of a win in the state for the Anti-War movement. Additionally, McCarthy will continue to lean on Mayfield's new single supporting his campaign, selling as many records as possible as a way to tap into small donations on the ground in the state.

As his campaign had already made prior arrangements in the former and now has achieved the support of the Rad-Lib Caucus in the latter, Eugene McCarthy will file to run in the Wisconsin and Massachusetts primaries.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 12:00:26 AM »

The Home Stretch

After Mayor Lindsay's victory in New Hampshire, the Senator would address supporters and press in Chicago with the following statement:

Hello, thank you for joining me this chilly evening.

Firstly, I want to extend my most warm congratulations to Mayor Lindsay on his success in the New Hampshire primary. I'm reminded of my own victory four years ago in which the voters of the Democratic Party made an affirmative statement for ending the unjust and illegal war in Vietnam. His victory also can attributed to the efforts of the Rad/Lib caucus on his behalf, who have endorsed the McCarthy campaign nationally. I hope to see in the contests coming ahead more victories for our united movement for a pro-peace, pro-amnesty, progressive Democratic Party.

Secondly, I want to address the withdrawal of Senator Muskie from this race. Though we had competed in this contest in Illinois, I will say I admired his integrity and willingness to speak truth to power. To his former supporters: I offer up my record and encourage you to consider my campaign. Both I and Senator Muskie stood for an immediate peace in Vietnam, continuing the good work of the Civil Rights movement and an increase in the national minimum wage. Additionally, I have the same congressional experience and have in the past collaborated on legislative items like the Clean Air Act. With the Senator out of the race and my opposition being the specter of Sam Yorty's right-wing, anti-democratic campaign, we must come together to deliver a victory for Democratic values in Illinois.

Thank you.

Mayor Lindsay's win represented a major victory for the two men's wing of the party, but Senator McCarthy would not be outdone or outshone by Lindsay. In coordination with the Lindsay and the McGovern campaigns, Senator McCarthy will endorse the slate of uncommitted anti-war delegates in the Georgia caucus. His campaign would only double down on their efforts in pulling off a victory in the state of Illinois, far more impressive and delegate rich than the miniscule contest in the Granite State. It would now be all hands on deck, with the organizations supporting McCarthy like CCCO and PUSH being enlisted for a vigorous canvassing campaign in the South Side.

Additionally, Senator McCarthy would now unveil the support of two relatively powerful members of Congress from the state. Congressmen Abner Mikva and Ralph Metcalfe were both prior critics of Mayor Daley, but to so openly be going against his slate of delegates would surely make a splash in the press. Senator McCarthy would announce their endorsements at a press conference, again attacking the undemocratic tactics of "Boss Daley" and how he sought to subvert the primary process. The campaign will also enlist the precinct captains loyal to Mikva and Metcalfe for the final canvas, doubling down on those South Side areas Senator McCarthy believes he can perform well in. The McCarthy campaign will also prepare for chicanery from Boss Daley or his supporters, preparing campaign workers in the canvas to guide voters to their precincts and encourage them to make plans for transportation ahead of time.

After months of fundraising, a massive letter writing campaign to the donors that constructed the Rad-Lib caucus and the profits of Curtis Mayfield's latest signal, the McCarthy campaign would pool its fundraising to broadcast a television commercial statewide. With some calls to Hollywood contacts of the Senator from four years ago, the campaign would put together a finely edited 30 second spot to be aired in the final weeks of the primary.

McCarthy for President: Make Your Voice Heard

Images of the 1968 Democratic Convention air over the screen. Protestors are brutalized, tear gas in recognizable streets, brawls on the convention floor.

Narrator:
Summer 1968. Division and violence reign on the streets of Chicago. Despite receiving nearly 3 million more votes than any other nominated candidate, Senator Eugene McCarthy is denied the nomination. Under the orders of Mayor Daley, the Chicago Police Department disperses non-violent demonstration against this action by force. To many, this was a wakeup call. But for Senator McCarthy, he understands how broken politics have made scenes like this an everyday reality for Americans.

Scenes of McCarthy meeting with voters in Chicago, playing basketball, praying at mass.

Narrator: Eugene McCarthy wants to bring all forces home from the conflict in Vietnam and focus on the issues at home. He wants to institute a guaranteed income so no American goes hungry. He wants to ensure every American has access to good, high-quality, medical insurance. And he wants to restore accountability to politics, so that the people have control of their democracy and corrupt politicians cannot use the power of the law to push their opponents around.

Make your voice heard on March 21st. Vote for Eugene McCarthy.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 01:34:45 AM »

Justice.

Before he stepped onto the stage to greet his unimaginably ecstatic supporters, Eugene McCarthy thought back to the Chicago of four years ago. The city where the hopes of every kid hoping not to have to live in a country waging an illegal war were ruthlessly crushed under the jackbooted heel of Richard Daley and the Chicago Police Department. In that moment he had nearly lost faith in the ability of politics to create change in this nation he loved so much. But tonight was vindication. On his own turf he had destroyed Daley, reducing him to a footnote and had soared in the delegate count to become the largest non-Wallace option. As he addressed his supporters he spoke with an energy and vigor not seen in many years from the Senator.

Thank you. Thank you!

It is too early to say what the final results of this primary will be, but I'll bet Boss Daley didn't like them! [cheers]

My friends, tonight you have sent a message to the Democratic Party, to this nation and to the world. It is as message that has rung anytime a tyrant who sought to subvert democracy and impose his will was thwarted by the power of engaged citizens who want a say in their elected leaders. It is a great honor to have been selected by the voters of Illinois and at this moment I can only say that I will promise not to let you down. This campaign will continue to fight peace, jobs, freedom and democracy throughout this Democratic Primary. With the momentum you have granted us, we are going to bring the fight to the general election, defeat Richard Nixon and restore decency to the White House.

[cheers]

To anyone who doubted our movement, who cast our Five-Point Plan as unrealistic and unelectable, I say look to the coalition we have built tonight. Our nation may only succeed when we think big and act decisively to eradicate our problems. This is what President Roosevelt chose to do nearly four decades ago and it is what we will accomplish in my administration. Good paying jobs, a guaranteed minimum income, strong union protections and a federal infrastructure plan to put millions of Americans to work. These ideas may be considered radical by a small contingent of Washington policymakers, but as tonight has shown, the majority of Americans are in favor of measures which would take immediate action to improve their lives.

In this moment of victory I must also thank all who supported me, especially including Congressmen Mika and Metcalfe, Alderman Singer, Reverend Jackson and Mr. Al Raby. Gentlemen, your support and introduction to people of all walks of life here in Chicago has meant the world to me and I am eternally grateful. I also would like to comment on the withdrawal of Senator Kennedy from the race. Though we had our disagreements, I always have found the Senator to be a man of good character who earnestly believes in progressive causes which would benefit all Americans. I am saddened to see he has appeared to be forced out of this campaign by those seeking to focus on personal foibles rather than debate the merits of his policy positions but I commend him on a well-run campaign nonetheless. Now, we must prepare to take the same message that brought people together in this state and apply it elsewhere to build a winning coalition nation wide. Again, thank you my friends and good night to you all.

The Governor.

Shortly after his victory in the Illinois Primary, the Senator would part ways with the state he had practically lived in for the last three months for the neighboring Badger State. Days after the shockwave that emanated from the shores of Lake Michigan, another major boon for the McCarthy campaign would arrive in the form of an endorsement. While it may have been predictable that his 1968 floor director would eventually come around in support of his campaign, the timing of Governor Patrick Lucey's endorsement could not have been better. The McCarthy campaign now had at its disposal a vast network of contacts within the Wisconsin Democratic Party, including local party chairs, precinct captains and donors all loyal to Governor Lucey, and the campaign had full intent of employing them.

The campaign would conduct a concerted effort to move its Illinois infrastructure northward, benefitting from the proximity between both states. They would begin distributing copies of the Five Point Plan through mailing lists across the state. Eugene McCarthy himself would spend much time in Milwaukee, rallying Black voters who had propelled him to victory in Illinois in the state of Wisconsin. He would frequently hit on his support for desegregation, particularly emphasizing the extremely disparate state of housing within the city. Additionally, he would make appearances with Governor Lucey in smaller cities across the state in an attempt to soften his image to some who may see the Governor as a more comfortable figure. He would also repeatedly hit on the work he provided in the passing of the Clean Air Act, making the connection to how it affected industrial areas with high levels of noxious gas emissions. This would also serve as an appeal to Senator Gaylord Nelson, reminding him of their time in the Senate together and how he could serve as a team player when needed on the most important issues.

Going forward, the McCarthy campaign would begin building its infrastructure in Massachusetts, now being able to easily achieve ballot access. Congressman and Jesuit Priest Robert S. Drinan would be employed as a surrogate in the state, preceding the arrival of McCarthy himself in the state. Particular use of Drinan would be made to appeal to the Irish Catholic constituencies who may be inclined to support his campaign post-Kennedy withdrawal as the only Irish Catholic remaining in the race. While still competing with anti-war opponents in Wisconsin, the campaign recognized the need for unity within the caucus states and would support the anti-war unpledged electors slate in South Carolina. Looking ahead, the McCarthy campaign would begin putting in the work to register for the Indiana, Ohio, DC, North Carolina and Alabama primaries.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies