Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:17:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fear and Loathing in Nixonland (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 13981 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« on: October 31, 2023, 06:14:50 PM »
« edited: November 01, 2023, 05:40:22 AM by Laki »

Copyright: Midwestern State University

Progress Ahead with Ed!

"I have returned to my home state of Maine to announce my decision to seek the office of President of the United States.

I firmly believe that America can once again become a nation of moral leadership. To achieve this, significant changes are necessary. Presently, this is far from the case. Every day, our bombs continue to fall on Indochina, causing countless casualties and claiming many American lives. Parents have witnessed their children not returning or returning permanently injured. What is the justification for this? To defend some land that has no real connection to us?

This is not the America we should be. It is indefensible that people are still dying in a war that is fundamentally wrong—a war that most Americans rejected long ago. Instead, we should address our domestic issues. We were promised an end to the war, and we have been deceived.

Many people are dying due to poverty. They lack access to decent healthcare, live in ghettos or underdeveloped areas. They struggle to make a decent living. And more and more of our wealth is being accumulated, doing nothing to address the present day issues, those of the hungry children, struggling schools, inadequate housing, decaying cities and rural areas, the financial insecurity faced in old age or faced by farmers because of a lack of a decent living and the lack of rural development.

Crime rates are on the rise, indicating a deeper problem within the country. No one wins in this situation. Those tempted to commit crimes do so out of necessity, revealing a broader issue and failure. And while the rising crimes rates mean Americans slowly but surely are losing their acquired freedom, it being narrowed and constricted because we need to protect ourselves from crime.

It's not sufficient to generate trillions of dollars in goods and services each year without adequately safeguarding our environment, protecting the land, air, and water that sustain us. It's not fair to shoulder an ever-increasing tax burden that doesn't translate into better public services, unfairly affecting those who can afford it the least and allowing many to evade their fair share of responsibility.

The country is heading in the wrong direction, and most of us sense it. Optimism is fading. Change is imperative. I believe I can be that change. Therefore, I announce my candidacy for the office of President of the United States and humbly ask for your support.

Thank you and may God bless America"
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 05:46:49 AM »

Statement from the Muskie Campaign

Edmund Muskie (D-ME) announces the intention to compete in the New Hampshire and Illinois primary contests. Senator Muskie will not stand in the Florida primary contest, instead encouraging his supporters to cast their votes for Mayor Lindsay.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 02:05:03 PM »

Mike Anderson: And we're back. Joining us today is presidential candidate Edmund Muskie, who's here to chat about the Democratic presidential primaries. We've got a heated race here in New Hampshire, with both Muskie and Ted Kennedy throwing their hats into the ring. Welcome, Mr. Muskie. Thanks for being here.
Muskie: You're welcome
Mike Anderson: So, let's dive right into it. Why should the people of New Hampshire and the nation as a whole vote for you for president?
Muskie: Well Mike, that's a great question. You see, Nixon made promises about ending the Vietnam War, but he didn't deliver. We've been let down, deceived, and every day, American lives are lost in a seemingly endless conflict. This war needs to end now. On top of that, we're facing a slew of problems right here at home. The crime rates are skyrocketing, just take a stroll through New York City, and you'll see what I mean. Our economy is struggling, poverty is on the rise, and some folks are turning to drugs just to make ends meet. It's clear that Nixon is losing control of the situation. We should be addressing these pressing domestic issues rather than pouring resources into Vietnam.
Mike Anderson: Those are certainly critical issues, Mr. Muskie. Now, tell us, why should the voters prefer you over the other Democratic candidates in the race?
Muskie: Good question. The American people need a leader they can trust in the White House, someone who can provide strong and moral leadership. I genuinely believe in the potential of the United States to have a morally upright leader. As for my opponent, Ted Kennedy, the events at Chappaquiddick have raised serious doubts. How can we expect a man who can't even take care of himself, his aide, and his car to run a nation? Well that's the million dollar question, Mike. Leading a nation isn't for the faint-hearted, and i'd rather want us to win the race to the White House in november. I honestly don't see the electability in his campaign. He should reconsider his position and drop out.
Mike Anderson: Strong points, Mr. Muskie. Now, let's get to the heart of the matter. How do you plan to differentiate yourself from Ted Kennedy and win over voters in this primary? What's your strategy to come out on top?
Muskie: Well, it's all about demonstrating trustworthiness and leadership. I'm going to continue addressing the key issues that matter most to the American people, showing them that I can be the kind of leader they can rely on. Unlike my opponent, I believe in putting the needs of the country first and ensuring that our moral compass remains intact. As for Ted Kennedy, his actions have already cast a shadow of doubt. It's clear that his campaign is lacking the moral leadership this nation deserves.
Mike Anderson: Thanks, Mr. Muskie. It's clear that the race is heating up, and the voters have a lot to think about. We appreciate you taking the time to share your views with us today. We look forward to seeing how this primary unfolds.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 10:11:56 AM »

Remark Made by Senator Muskie
Comment to local news reporters informing the senator over the series of attacks on Humphrey in Concord, New Hampshire

Well it makes a lot of sense that - we Democrats - will share a similar platform. I just question his credibility on some of those, most importantly his position on Vietnam. He was the most ardent advocate of LBJ's administration Vietnam policy, i wouldn't believe his word on what he says on Vietnam. You know, the fact of the matter, still is that Humphrey did lose to Nixon in 1968, and that is a troubling sign if our opponent next year will again be Nixon. We need to do that with the best candidate possible. Nixon didn't keep his word on Vietnam, but so did Humphrey. He got rejected four years ago exactly because of Vietnam. It would be an awful choice to nominate senator Humphrey again. He's a loyal and good friend, otherwise, i wouldn't have agreed to be his VP candidate in 1968 but we need to be aware that we have an election next year and that there's someone to defeat if we want to prevent the nation to be plummeted to chaos.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 10:42:34 AM »

Announcement in Concord, New Hampshire

I'm disappointed to see that Ted Kennedy accepted an endorsement of one of the most ardent advocates of the Vietnam war, which conflicts with his so-called "pro-peace" platform. In 1968, the incumbent president Lyndon B. Johnson was humiliated because of his Vietnam policies and the Vietnam war effort after the strong showing of Eugene McCarthy. Some democratic politicians in New Hampshire clearly need a reality check, given their policies are so out of touch with the people of New Hampshire. You know, i'm a Democrat. It means that i'm supportive of democracy and the people of New Hampshire do have a right of a free and fair election, and for that reason I announce that there'll be a competitive primary to challenge pro-Vietnam senator McIntyre and that i'll endorse whichever anti-Vietnam candidate challenger runs. We need to have the best candidate possible to win the upcoming senate race in New Hampshire, and I don't believe senator McIntyre is that candidate.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 12:06:59 PM »

Muskie endorses

A list of endorsements from the Muskie campaign for the upcoming elections in the senate.

Colorado:
Floyd Haskell

Georgia:
Sam Nunn

Idaho:
Willem E. Davis

Iowa:
Dick Clark

Maine:
William Hathaway

Massachussets:
John J. Droney

Michigan:
Frank J. Kelley

Montana:
Lee Metcalf

New Hampshire:
John Durkin

New Mexico:
Jack Daniels

North Carolina:
Nick Galifianakis

Oregon:
Wayne Morse

Rhode Island:
Claiborne Pell

South Dakota:
James Abourezk
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 05:44:03 PM »

Muskie in New Hampshire

Excerpts from town hall in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

"I'm pleased to announce that I've gained the endorsement of John Durkin. Mr. Durkin will be the senatorial candidate challenging the incumbent McIntyre and receives my endorsement for the race. I believe he's the best candidate to represent the people of New Hampshire, and New Hampshire deserves excellent representation in Washington, D.C. Durkin is the man best suited for that, while also offering electability on the table.

Q: What's your position on Vietnam?
Well, we need to withdraw fully and immediately. It's one of the first things I would do when I get elected. We've been in Vietnam for over a decade now, and people are still talking about "scaling down." Scaling down doesn't cut it; we've been doing it for years. The war is lost; there's no need to send more people and resources to that wasteland when there are so many issues at home we should tackle first.

And unlike some other people, such as Governor Wallace, I am not so delusional as to believe - unlike what everyone has been saying at this point - that we can still defeat the Vietnamese. If we could have defeated them, we would have done so already, and we wouldn't be having this conversation, you know. I don't know the world Governor Wallace is living in, but threatening to start a world war with China or the Soviet Union, knowing very well this would lead to nuclear war, is not how a president should conduct diplomacy. I trust the American people to understand that this isn't how we do business. I mean, Barry Goldwater went nowhere in the race against President Johnson.

If elected president, it will be my first priority to bring all Americans still in Vietnam back to their families and, preferably, in good and healthy condition. There are so many mothers out there who are worried about their sons; we will bring them back. I promise you. If I'm elected president, we will bring them back. Alive. It's the first thing I'll do in office."
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 08:42:29 AM »

Muskie in Illinois

I'm here in Chicago today, to announce that i've gotten the endorsement of the great senator Adlai Stevenson III. I'll be touring around the state to rally support for my presidential campaign and to give people in Illinois a vote or the campaign they deserve. Many candidates aren't contesting the state because they're frankly afraid to lose They know they'll lose badly. And for that reason they maybe shouldn't be competing at all in the presidential race, because they know already they will lose, which is why their names won't appear on your ballots. It's a sign of a weakness, and already can tell you they'll be ill-prepared when facing president Nixon in a general election. If you don't dare to stand in the critical swing state of Illinois in a primary, than you're not up for the challenge at all.

Q: Why did you decide to compete in Illinois despite Daley's wish for candidates to support the uncommitted slate of delegates?
Let's rephrase that again... .The issue isn't Richard J. Daley, he's a good mayor. The thing is, an uncommited slate of delegates is well you know uncommitted. Mayor Daley hasn't said who he'll support, and citizens in Illinois and Chicago don't even know at all who they are supporting since mayor Daley hasn't expressed his support to a candidate. If you vote for the uncommitted slate of delegates, do you know who you are voting for? You might even be voting for George Wallace. It's important that people in Illinois can speak out and express who they like to see to be their next nominee. There are other ways where mayor Daley can use his influence such as using an endorsement or stating his opinion on television. But voting for an uncommitted slate of delegates is indirectly voting for Wallace and i'm not sure that's what citizens of Chicago really want to do. Right now there's only one real Democrat on the ballot, and that's me. And if you vote for me, you sure as hell aren't voting for Wallace.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2023, 09:25:52 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2023, 01:28:40 PM by Laki »

Muskie in Illinois II

Excerpts from town hall in Springfield, Illinois

Q: Earlier this week, you called yourself the only Democrat in the Illinois primary? Don't you consider McCarthy a Democrat, one who has been consistently against the Vietnam war from the beginning.
Well, the only reason he has been against the war, is because he's a communist sympathizer from the start. He has met Che Guevara in New York City a few years ago, because he wanted us to recognise the communist regime there. He's soft on communism. He has suggested Robert F. Kennedy caused his death himself. Former senator McCarthy clearly doesn't love America. I doubt someone who cannot love our country, can ever genuinely love our citizens, and be a good president for them. I'm against the Vietnam war because I want no more American citizens to be killed. In McCarthy's case, it's because he doesn't want more communists to be killed. That's the difference.

Muskie speaks at Southern Illinois University Carbondale, before dozens of students
There has been some unrest lately in the country, but I want to re-iterate that I do believe in the right to protest. As long it is being done respectfully, peacefully and in a civil way, it is your constitutional right to do so. The first amendment protects that. Some students unfortunately died in their noble cause to fight for peace. President Nixon had no business sending the national guard to several colleges and universities nationwide, and violated the first amendment in doing so. American students shouldn't have been killed, they are our own citizens. I mourn their losses, and their losses should not be in vain. We must defeat president Nixon and you as students can have a vital role in doing so. It is one thing to make sure and get out to vote, it is another thing to actively campaign and go around the state to gather support for our cause, which in a critical state such as Illinois will matter.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2023, 02:45:57 PM »

Des Moines, IA
During a stop in Iowa where the upcoming caucus will be held, Edmund Muskie engaged in several town halls, and replied to some questions.

Q: Given the joint-effort of the Lindsay, McGovern and McCarthy campaigns to support an anti-war slate of delegates, what can you say about that?
Well in case I lose the nomination, the delegates i would've won over the entire primary season would throw their support to an anti-war candidate anyways, so I see no real reason to support the slate right now. Besides, i have good reason to believe i could win the Iowa caucus, in which obviously a lot of delegates would be assigned to the anti-war cause. If you are in favour of withdrawal, the best thing to do is to simply not vote for the ones who have been ambiguous on the issue, such as Humphrey, and refuse to take a stance that isn't in favor of the anti-war cause, because he knows very well that his record on it does contradict what he says, and I do believe that what he believes in contradicts what he is telling people on the campaign trail. Senator Kennedy also stated he's in favour of phasing out, but it's what we've been doing for years, one could possibly phase out for the next twenty years and still be in Vietnam. We're already fighting the war over a decade, and we aren't winning. Those candidates aren't really anti-war candidates, but more like pro-status quo candidates.

Q: What would you do for Iowans in case you are elected president?
Well, rural development is important for America. We have a lot of rural areas, Iowa being one of the states that is very rural. Farmers have an increasingly harder time to make a decent living, because Washington's economy is more attuned to urban areas. It's why rural areas compared to before have been decaying. We need to ensure that when the nation moves forward, everyone moves forward and benefits, not just the cities. Food is one of the basic goods in the country, but one of the most important ones. Without thriving farms, there would be no America at all, as when the first building block - the foundation - collapses, all collapse. That would be a terrible mistake. That's why I believe we need to increase rural development grants and increase farm subsidies to smaller and starting farms. Farming needs to be an attractive job again.

I grew up in Maine, but my parents were immigrants. My dad was Polish. When i was young, i saw how my Dad's nation got utterly destroyed by both the nazis and communists. It's one of the reasons why i've been so vehemently anti-war. But when I grew up, i didn't grow up as part of a wealthy family, i had to climb my way up from the bottom, just like many of us do. America is a nation built on that of immigrants. It's what makes America great.

Q: What do you have to say about the contested field?
Well, there's a lot of anger towards the Nixon presidency, it's why so many people run. They see people's responses, they understand that people have been dissatisfied with the presidency. And we need someone who can defeat Nixon. I don't think there are many who can do so. Senator Humphrey already tried to do that four years ago, he lost. I don't know what has changed since than, but if he couldn't win from the president back than, why would he now? I do believe i'm the best candidate when it comes to electability, while still being in touch with the electorate unlike some other candidates.

Next: senator Muskie will be moving to the state of Wisconsin in the upcoming days to make an announcement in Milwaukee.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 03:02:46 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 03:09:54 PM by I stand with Rashida »

Senator Proxmire endorses Muskie

I'm here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to announce the endorsement of senator Proxmire. Senator Proxmire has represented the people of Wisconsin in the senate well, being an ardent advocate for environmentalism. He has been against the Vietnam war from the beginning and is a strong supporter of civil rights and civil liberties. I - as a presidential candidate - have been supportive of the civil rights movements as well. I want to continue the Warren Court legacy, and disapprove of attempts by Republicans and senator George Wallace to undo the progress we've made.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 03:23:44 AM »

Statement from the Muskie Campaign

Senator Muskie asserts to the people and voters that he is not responsible for planting the story. He vehemently rejects the Manchester Union article, denouncing it as dishonorable and dishonest. Our campaign categorically denies any involvement in the creation of the fabricated story.

We have uncovered evidence suggesting that we are not the architects of this smear campaign article. Instead, it appears that the Manchester Union newspaper may have been tipped off by USSR spies and compromised. This poses a current national security threat, and we insist on a thorough investigation into this matter.

In order to safeguard democracy, it is imperative that we file a complaint and bring this case to the Supreme Court. We extend an invitation to the Kennedy campaign to join us in this legal action. This is not solely about Senator Kennedy; it is about the security of our nation, which is currently in jeopardy.

At the end of the day, we Democrats are united in our quest to defeat President Nixon. While we may engage in criticism during the primaries, I want to reiterate that I would never stoop to such lows. Regardless of which candidate ultimately prevails, a victory is jeopardized if our campaigns adopt such tactics. It's crucial that we refrain from descending to these levels.

We can highlight our differences, even in matters of ethics, but ultimately, our common goal is to defeat President Nixon. Failure to do so could perpetuate the homelessness crisis, worsen the economic downturn, and prolong the war in Vietnam indefinitely.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 03:29:28 AM »

Statement by the Muskie Campaign

Senator Muskie announces that he'll contest in the Wisconsin primaries and appear on the ballot.

Decision over the Mississippi Caucus

Senator Muskie announces he won't directly participate in the Mississippi caucus. He'll instead create and back a general pro-civil rights slate of delegates and encourages many other candidates in the race to back an unpledged slate of delegates that would distribute their delegates to candidates that support the consensus on civil rights and are supportive on it.

Senator Muskie also announces that similar initiatives will happen for the Georgia and South Carolina caucuses, which also will take place soon. The senator also states that he won't appear on the ballot here, and endorse the pro-civil rights slate of delegates here.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 10:17:32 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2023, 10:20:50 AM by I stand with Rashida »

Remark made by Senator Muskie

Senator Kennedy doesn't want the Democratic Party to unite, to cooperate and to work together, if it isn't directly to his benefit. He claims that other competing candidates are creating discord and disarray in the party, yet he's the only one responsible for the current discord in the party, unable to realize that for the party's best chances to november to win, he should drop out because of him being tainted by the Chappaquiddick scandal. If senator Kennedy really cares about civil rights and Vietnam and progressive leadership, he should drop out and endorse someone else in the party. It doesn't have to be me, we have plenty of other great candidates in the Democratic Party that aren't tainted to the extent he is. But my biggest priority is ensuring that we as a party do win in november, and senator Kennedy is not the guy who will lead us to victory. He's also not a team player and by this point has angered the entire Democratic Party.

Q: Would you support senator Kennedy if he ended up being the nominee?
I don't think I would, to be frank. He has no shot of winning. I frankly believe that the Democratic Party should run someone who could win, and we have more chance with an independent candidate that is aligned as Democratic than with someone like Kennedy who might literally be under investigation of murder.

I mean... Does America want a murderer for president? If you do, than go ahead and vote for senator Ted. But I don't support murderers. Murderers belong in prison. Mary Jo deserves justice and America needs to know the truth.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 10:24:46 AM »

Clarificiation for Georgia and South Carolina caucuses

For Georgia and South Carolina, i will clarify that the pro-civil rights delegates will be awarded to the one who ends up with the most delegates once the DNC rolls around.

I want candidates to clarify whether they want to support and be part of those slates in Georgia and South Carolina.

Unlike some others, i am a team player. The one who ends up with the most delegates once the DNC rolls around will be awarded with those delegates.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2023, 10:46:55 AM »

Interview with Chicago Tribune:

Q: Do you think you're the best candidate to win the primary in Illinois
Well given i'm about the only candidate running in Illinois, i think it's clear to say that the other candidates are afraid of losing here and are afraid of facing the voters of Illinois. It's a bit cowardly of other Democratic presidential candidates to not even test the waters in what is the critical swing state of Illinois. If you can't win here, how can you defeat president Nixon here in november. This is a critical swing state. Without winning Illinois, you can't win the presidency. So yes, obviously, i'm the best candidate here. I know that, that's why i'm running here. I'm the only high-profile candidate who have consistently condemned the Vietnam war, and i have made a pledge that we leave Vietnam day one when i'm elected in office. I care about the civil rights cause, being highly supportive of the record of Democratic Party in the previous decade. I care about agrarian efforts to develop the farms in Illinois to the next level. You know Illinois is just more than Chicago alone. And Chicago is a highly diverse city, one of the largest cities in this beautiful countries and so many Democrats aren't even showing their face here in this city. For what? They're afraid of the voters, they're afraid to face the voters, they're afraid of the truth. They know they can't win here and that's why they already conceded their loss here.

Q: Amidst polls that show that you are falling in the polls, when will you consider the race to be over?
I think given my experience among the Democratic establishment and as a high profile senator as well as being the vice presidential candidate on the 1968 ticket with senator Humphrey, combined with my pledge to end the Vietnam war as soon as possible and my belief that we need change, proposals i stated repeatedly during my campaign, i think i would be the perfect candidate to unite both the establishment and the more radical left of the Democratic Party. Unlike some others, i do really listen to the voters and students, and if you want your voice to be heard. You have to turn out. That's the only way of ensuring America listens to you. It's what people cherish about America. We are a democracy, our votes are important here.

I'm not one to chase a lost cause. It's not that far. I definitely believe I can win this race, but yes, i have a goal in mind and for me it's important that I either win Illinois or Wisconsin to carry on this campaign. If i can't win one of those two, it's over. But the primaries still have to take place, and I still firmly believe I can win those. If i can win one of those two races, i'll carry on my campaign. If not, i'll drop out.

I've been in touch with the Lindsay, Hart, McGovern and McCarthy campaigns, i'll work effortlessly that regardless of what the results may be, that we end up victorious in november. That's my prime goal. Humphrey has had his chance in 1968, he blew it. Kennedy might be under investigation of murder during the race in the autumn, that would ensure and certify a loss. We cannot head to the november race with a murderer on the top of the ticket. This would ensure division and disarray in our campaign and cause many Democrats downballot to lose, ensuring the complete and total collapse of the parties and the wipe-out of all of our dear and hardworking senators. and elected congresspeople.

To answer the question again, i need to win either Illinois or Wisconsin. If i fail to do that, i drop out.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 12:17:59 PM »

Speak Out, Richard J. Daley

This is a request from Senator Edmund Muskie to speak out against Ted Kennedy's involvement in the death of Mary Jo Kopechne.

Make no mistake, people of Chicago. mayor Daley is a Kennedy surrogate. I remember him as a good man, but he should speak out; he carries a lot of influence. I'm sure he doesn't want a murderer to be the Democratic nominee. I believe he'll realize that he has a better chance of getting elected with a capable nominee. I am confident that Richard J. Daley is not a misogynist or a hater of women, black people, and minorities. My request to you, Mayor Daley, is to speak out! Your refusal to speak out frankly is worrying! Mary Jo deserves justice and using your influence will matter in whether Mary Jo and her relatives get justice.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 12:23:09 PM »

Petition to Pledge a Commitment to Justice for Mary Jo

The Muskie Campaign proposes that every Democratic candidate in the primaries signs a pledge before entering the next debate, committing not to obstruct the judicial process targeting Senator Kennedy. Mary Jo deserves justice. It is crucial that Democrats do not impede this process, and all Democratic nominees and potential future presidents sign this pledge. We do not want a president who might pardon Senator Kennedy if he is convicted. The people of America have the right to know whether the future president will pardon Senator Kennedy or not, in case of conviction. The Muskie campaign has been clear from the beginning that we won't pardon Senator Kennedy if he's convicted. Mary Jo deserves justice. Women in the country deserve to be treated properly, with respect and dignity. No justice for Mary Jo would signify that women's rights are still a major issue in the country, and as the Democratic Party, we must embrace women's rights. I know I do, but do you?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 02:09:25 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2023, 02:17:08 PM by I stand with Rashida »

Why Humphrey Is Running to Become the Next Vice-President

MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

Exempt from speech

(...)

As we all know, Senator Humphrey ran in 1968, but he lost. It seems he's afraid of facing another loss, as he refuses to address crucial issues such as Vietnam and Chappaquidick. Although he speaks extensively, he has yet to take a clear stance on these matters, seemingly fearful of upsetting crowds and reluctant to reveal his positions. Apart from expressing general support for measures that align with mainstream Democratic and even Republican views, he avoids discussions on Vietnam.

Similar to Nixon, he advocates for "Peace with Honour" and supports economic measures and the status quo on civil rights. One might wonder if Humphrey is running to become the Democratic nominee or if he is positioning himself to be America's next vice-president under Nixon.

He is undoubtedly a well-known figure, but I implore each of you to ponder the following question: Can you name one particular issue that Senator Humphrey is passionately advocating for, an issue that distinguishes him and would make you say, "I would vote for this man because he supports this specific issue"?

(a moment of silence)

It appears he is not championing any particular issue, unwilling to take a stand and seemingly afraid of displeasing the establishment or voters. He stands for nothing, projecting an image of a lame duck. A vote for Senator Humphrey may result in four years of inaction, much like Nixon, who talked extensively about Vietnam but failed to bring about any real change. We are still entangled in Vietnam.

Just as "Peace with Honour" translates to no peace at all, we observe a similar narrative with Humphrey. He shows no intention of withdrawing from Vietnam, having not spoken out or expressed any position on the matter.

If you desire the return of thousands of American heroes to our homes, back on American soil and in good health, you need to support me. Humphrey seems willing to let them perish in the Vietnamese jungle, fraught with mines and threatened by numerous napalm bombs every day. We want our soldiers back. Humphrey appears indifferent to the plight of American soldiers, prioritizing his delusional vision of securing a place in the White House, even if it means betraying the Democrats.

(end of speech, the Muskie campaign distributes free Nixon/Humphrey - Peace with Honour banner logos and stickers)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2023, 05:56:01 PM »

Response from the Muskie Campaign:

Well, Senator Humphrey's position might have been totally clear, he did not choose to be vocal on it at all, except for a brief mention in the platform, there has been no focus at all on the issue, including no comments since the recent announcements of the administration, which make me doubt how serious Mr. Humphrey is about this position. He chose to otherwise completely ignore the issue, despite it being a major topic so far in the campaign, despite it being a major issue in the country and despite virtually every other candidate spending much attention on the issue.

More importantly, he might have been clear since day one of this campaign, we must not forget he has a campaign before in 1968 and as both senator and LBJ's vice president, he did approve of their actions in Vietnam, being in fact the co-architect of the Vietnam operation.

How credible is a candidate who claims he want to stop the war who was the vice president under the man who escalated the war? I'll tell you, he has zero credibility.

Muskie speaking at the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Exempt from speech

(...)

In fact, the foreign policy record of senator Humphrey is at best very questionable. In particular, how liberal he truly is can be questioned. The man has been favourable of concentration camps.

If elected, the man would be a threat in office. In the past, back when he was a senator, prior to being LBJ's vice-president, he supported and co-sponsored a bill where he proposed putting disloyal and dangerous individuals in confinement immediately. I mean, these are practices we see in dictatorships, in Japan, in Hitler's Nazi-Germany, in Mussolini's Italy and in the Sovjet Union. Do you trust a government in determining who is dangerous or disloyal. Aren't we all disloyal at some point. If you fall out of favour with the establishment, does that warrant you being locked up immediately. It could be any of you: black, white, poor,  students like you and name it. If the government thinks you're a threat, they'll lock you up. And Humphrey is in favour of that. He supported a bill where you would be locked up immediately if he thinks you are disloyal. I mean, he could even choose to lock up all of our supporters because i'm being critical of him. Every single one of you could be locked up if this man becomes president.

This is how the man solves problems. He is very good in operating under the shadows, but give him real power and he could be a real menace. I'll tell you, he's not a real human right advocate. He's not a real democrat. He's not a real liberal. I don't know what he is, a talented shapeshifter perhaps, a man that stands for nothing perhaps but not a liberal advocate.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2023, 05:53:48 AM »

Message for Unity

MANCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE

I understand that this campaign has been quite intense so far, but we need to realize that if we want a chance in November, we all have to make compromises. We need to mend fences and come together. From my side, you will certainly see an effort to reach out to the other candidates and the eventual nominee. It's something we are obligated to do if we want to stand a chance in November. Despite the attacks we've made on each other, there's one thing we must not forget. Ultimately, all Democrats will have to collaborate to defeat the real opponent, President Nixon. That's what it all boils down to in November. That's what we need to work towards. I acknowledge that I've also been guilty of making various attacks, and I apologize for that. However, it's crucial to make it clear to the voters where everyone stands, and we must campaign on why I am the best candidate for the Democratic presidential nominee.

If I don't end up being the nominee, I will put in a tremendous effort to support the eventual Democratic nominee. I will do my utmost to do so. However, I will continue to strongly advocate for bringing the Vietnam soldiers back home. After their heroic service, they deserve to return to their families. What happens in Vietnam will ultimately have very little impact on the lives of Americans. Closer to home, issues like healthcare, the economy, housing, and education are areas where we need to focus on making improvements for other Americans. At this moment, it's evident that people want to see change, and I have demonstrated that I am committed to that change. I am the candidate who wants it, can show it, and can make it a reality, leveraging the connections needed to bring about these changes.

Regarding healthcare, I am eager to move towards a Western European model, ensuring healthcare accessibility for everyone. This will involve insuring every American, preventing healthcare costs from skyrocketing. We will take measures to control inflation and keep the economy healthy, including creating more employment opportunities. Having a job reduces the likelihood of falling below the poverty line. Decreasing poverty will, in turn, reduce street and city crime, making our country more livable and increasing the sense of security. When it comes down to it, we will all have to collaborate on these issues, and I firmly believe that I am the candidate, the only one, who can effectively put many of these measures into practice. I am also clearly electable nationwide. We need to look at who has a chance to defeat President Nixon, and I believe I am one of the best candidates in that regard. If you want to get rid of President Nixon, then logically, I am one of the best candidates to go up against him. And both the establishment and left-wing activists are likely to have little objection to me.

So, turn out and vote for me. Rally your friends, family, acknowledges, speak to people on the streets. If you want to move ahead as a nation, vote Ed!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2023, 06:35:16 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2023, 06:41:26 AM by I stand with Rashida »

Platform

Foreign Policy: Immediately withdraw our troops from Vietnam and welcome them as heroes with a national parade in Washington. Focus on diplomacy to represent and assert the interests of the United States abroad. The top priority is defending our homeland. The blockade on the communist world including Cuba must be maintained.

Healthcare: Ensure everyone is insured to lower healthcare prices. It's also a good idea to reduce the prices of medicines and make shared reimbursement for medications a reality.

Infrastructure: Despite being barely addressed by other candidates during these elections, America's infrastructure is aging, and we need to continue renovating. Building new highways, train networks would make travel faster and easier for many Americans. We should also focus on developing a flood plan, potentially building new dams and areas to store excess water without flooding inhabited areas. Additionally, waterways should be widened to increase ship transport.

Environment: The U.S. government must do more to protect wildlife and ensure that hunting and fishing remain possible for future Americans by accurately tracking wildlife populations and making more areas accessible for nature to thrive. More measures should be taken to ensure that waterways remain clean, such as installing water purification stations. Moreover, new forests should be planted. Nature is not infinite; we must continue to watch over and protect it.

Science: Recently, we achieved the feat of being the first to reach the Moon, a feat made possible in part by the late President JFK. I would like to build on this to explore sending Americans to Mars. We must continue to invest in making the rest of space and our solar system accessible. In the fields of technology and medical science, I want to allocate more resources to enable more progress for America and save more lives.

Education: Education is crucial, and we must ensure that everyone can go to school, as it is the best guarantee for a good future. For this reason, Candidate Muskie wants to make kindergarten free for every American and make elementary school very accessible. Muskie believes that kindergarten and elementary school are at their best when organized by the government. For high school and university, Muskie believes in a mix of private and public schools and wants to focus on parents' choice for quality education for their sons or daughters. Schools should also emphasize learning values, respecting each other, respecting people of different skin colors, as well as respecting authority. Muskie believes in freedom of speech and strongly disagrees with President Nixon's decision to send the National Guard to schools, which he sees as a violation of the First Amendment.

Economy: Measures must be taken to control inflation, including an increase in the interest on savings loans. We must ensure that our banks remain healthy, thus preserving our economy. Muskie will also ensure that the balance of the national budget is gradually restored without sacrificing prosperity. Efficiently managing our budget to provide the same care and needs is an essential step.

Alcohol and Drugs: A drug epidemic plagues our country. For this reason, Muskie wants to restrict various drugs, such as cocaine and heroin, with a general ban. Furthermore, he believes that America should not sell alcohol on Sundays, a day of rest for everyone. Muskie believes that every American has the right to consume alcohol but in moderation. For this reason, he wants to introduce the measure that operators may not serve alcohol to someone clearly intoxicated.

Law and Prison Care: The death penalty is immoral, so Candidate Muskie is not in favor of it. However, he respects that states can make individual decisions on this matter. Muskie believes that criminals should be incarcerated for safety and wants to increase the capacity of prisons in America to imprison more murderers and rapists.

Housing: No American should be homeless in this country. This country is one of the richest in the world, and there should be no place or tolerance for poverty, as it is often one of the reasons someone turns to crime. For this reason, Muskie wants to make housing more accessible, and for every village or municipality, Muskie wants at least 15% social housing, and in cities, 20%. This is essential to ensure that no one has to live on the streets.

Religion: America is a nation built on christian values, and as a Catholic, Muskie wants to maintain this. However, freedom of religion is vital in a country like this, protected by the First Amendment. Muskie wants to ensure that different religious communities can practice their faith and recognizes that they have a vital role in our society. Muskie also believes that elementary schools should at least weekly attend the mass.

Immigration: America is a nation built on that of immigrants. For this reason, America should open its doors to welcome labor migrants and refugees, including those from communist countries such as Cuba and Vietnam. Muskie wants to provide a place in our society for Cuban and Vietnamese refugees, allowing them to escape the wars in their homelands and to taste American freedom.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2023, 11:45:30 AM »

Muskie drops out

MAINE - PORTLAND

It's clear that the primaries haven't gone as well as I hoped for, and that's why after careful consideration with my wife and my family, i decided to withdraw from the race and not run in any further races, with the exception of my home state later in the primary season.

I think withdrawing from the race is the best thing I can do if i want to do a favour to the American people and focus on the issues that clearly many of the candidates are also advocating for, but not all. It is the best thing to do if we want to defeat the incumbent, president Nixon. It's the best thing we can do to unite the Democratic Party. And that's why I decide to drop out.

People accused me of splitting the field, of not coöperating with the establishment, of being involved in feuds with other Democratic candidates, but I want to remind you, i cared about the issues. I'm fine with not being the next president, and I at least - unlike some others - know when to drop out. I'm not the power establishment politician some try to make me look like. At the end of the day, i'm Edmund Muskie, and my home state is Maine. I serve Americe, not Washington.

I won't make an endorsement yet, but I plan to make one soon, joining the campaign trail of the candidate i'll endorse, but for the time being, i encourage my voters in Florida to vote for mayor Lindsay, while I encourage my voters in Illinois to vote for senator McCarthy.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2023, 02:36:04 PM »

Comment Made by Senator Muskie

Mayor Yorty from the city of Los Angeles must denounce the endorsement of George Wallace, because I cannot support a man who either is or supports a man who has a history of racism, hate and demagogue. I will not support such a man under any circumstances and Mayor Yorty must decline that endorsement.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2024, 06:33:14 AM »

Muskie congratulates McCarthy with Illinois victory

After carefully watching the results in Illinois, withdrawn presidential candidate, former vice-presidential candidate and incumbent senator for Maine Edmund Muskie has come out with a statement congratulating Eugene McCarthy with his surprise victory in Illinois and called the primary a statement from the democratic voter base in Illinois. It shows that people care about Vietnam, and that people want us to leave Vietnam and our soldiers to return to home to their families. The senator said he believes McCarthy is fit for the task and believes he has an excellent shot of defeating president Nixon in november.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies