Primus Inter Pares - 1994 Labour Leadership Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:41:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Primus Inter Pares - 1994 Labour Leadership Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should be the Leader and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party?
Tony Blair
Margaret Beckett
Gordon Brown
John Prescott
DEPUTY: John Prescott
DEPUTY: Margaret Beckett
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Primus Inter Pares - 1994 Labour Leadership Election  (Read 1301 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« on: February 22, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »

My first choice for the party leadership would be Tony Blair and my second choice would be Gordon Brown. For the deputy leadership I'd support John Prescott.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »

Interesting Scenario- I've never seen a roadmap of a 1994 election with both Brown and Blair, but the assumption is that Brown would probably win. The weird nature of the old Labour election system for leader divided up the section into three colleges- Trade Union/Members/MPs. Unless Blair could get more than 50% in the first round, the number of 2nd and 3rd preferences going to Brown would most likely sink Blair. Although Blair's asset was his support from the Shadow Cabinet/Media, meaning that Brown would be denied a base to run from

Basically 1994 could end up a lot like 2010- the least divisive candidate would win.

Answer wise- naturally Blair/Prescott. 

I've heard that too. I actually believe I read somewhere that Blair and Brown made a deal where Brown wouldn't run for the party leadership and would support Blair in exchange for the position of Chancellor and Blair handing over the reins to him after two terms or so. I believe the general assumption is that Gordon Brown was more electable in a leadership contest but that Tony Blair was more electable in a general election (although I'd have to assume Gordon Brown would have won pretty easily in 1997 as well).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies