Puerto Rico (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 03:22:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Puerto Rico (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico  (Read 14884 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« on: March 25, 2004, 03:48:13 PM »

I support PR statehood as I believe that it would actually be quite competitive politically, unlike DC.  The PNP would eventually fold into the GOP and the PPD with the Democrats and you'd probably see either a 50-50 split or perhaps a slight Democratic advantage.  I could see the language barrier becoming a huge issue though.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 09:35:37 PM »

We have to be... otherwise we'd end up with the political diversity of Sweden Smiley

I support PR statehood as I believe that it would actually be quite competitive politically, unlike DC.  The PNP would eventually fold into the GOP and the PPD with the Democrats and you'd probably see either a 50-50 split or perhaps a slight Democratic advantage.  I could see the language barrier becoming a huge issue though.

You support it BECAUSE it would be competitive? You Americans really are cynical when it comes to politics...
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 10:10:30 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2004, 10:13:30 AM by htmldon »

CTguy,

Puerto Rican politics is completely different and seperate from mainland politics and parties.  The U.S. Democratic and Republican parties maintain entities in Puerto Rico for the purpose of apportioning delegates and having a presence there but that is just about it.

The two major parties are the Popular Democratic Party, the island's center-left party, and the New Progressive Party, the center-right party.  Most PDP (PPD) Members would identify with the U.S. Democratic Party while NPP (PNP) members are more split.  The only case where a Puerto Rican really has to identify with a national party is in the case of the delegate to Congress.  Current PNP nominee Luis Fortuno is also the Republican National Committeeman for Puerto Rico, while PPD nominee Roberto Prats is the PR Democratic Party Chairman.

While New Progressive members are split on their loyalties, I'd suspect that it would quickly fold into the GOP should statehood arise.  It is the pro-statehood party, so if they thought being even more Republican would help, they would probably arrange for that to occur Smiley  The PPD would fit the Democrats like a glove.

BS.  I believe PR has a democratic "governor."  It will go dem because it is poor and the people are extremely liberal on issues like abortion and gun control.  

No, it doesn't have a Democratic governor because there aren't Democrats and Republicans there. And the people there are not extremely liberal on issues like gun control and abortion. Have you ever been there? I practically lived there for a time when my uncle was stationed on the island. They are about as socially liberal as Idaho.

Really, that's funny, why is she a member of the National Democratic Party then?  

http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2002/vol6n22/Poll0622-en.shtml

Yes I have been to Puerto Rico, twice...  If they aren't liberal on social issues, why is the major opposition party to the democrats in Puerto Rico the Progressive Party?

excerpt: "Calderon is pro-choice, as was her predecessor. While local anti-abortion groups and religious conservatives, Roman Catholics and Pentecostals, are vocal, Puerto Rico does not have a significant anti-abortion movement."

http://cndyorks.gn.apc.org/caab/articles/vieques29.htm
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 01:55:55 PM »

VI is heavily Democratic and thus not qualified for statehood Smiley

I think Puerto Rico should become a state.

They would finally pay taxes, and I believe they would be a swing state. They're liberal on issues while they're conservative in their heritage.

And we should add the Virgin Islands to Puerto Rico and have it be the same state!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies