How has your family voted? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:55:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How has your family voted? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How has your family voted?  (Read 56138 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »

Dad: Born and raised in Atlanta, a mainstream democrat. Moderate on social issues, liberal on fiscal issues. Very partisan
1972: (R) Nixon- he said he thought McGovern was too "out there"
1976: (D) Carter- very excited, stood in line for 3 hours to vote for him
1980: (D) Carter
1984: (D) Mondale
1988: (D) Dukakis
1992: (D) Clinton- my younger brother was actually born on election day 1992, so he might not have had time to vote, but he did support Clinton
1996: (D) Clinton
2000: (D) Gore
2004: (D) Kerry
2008: (D) Obama

Dad's father: Born in north Georgia in 1918. He was a devout southern baptist, but also a yellow dog Democrat through and through. He even voted for McGovern in 1972
2008: He had reservations about Obama, but really liked Joe Biden. He died in January of 2009 after a lengthy time in the hospital. I think he would have broken for Obama eventually. He told me he only voted Republican once in his life- when his neighbor was running for congress as a republican. He said he didn't stand a chance so he figured one vote for him wouldn't hurt the democrat.

Mom- Grew up in Suburban areas of Atlanta and Cincinnati. She's not really that focused on politics, but she claims to be completely moderate
1976: (D) Carter- I think everyone in Georgia voted for Carter that year
1980: (R) Reagan
1984: (R) Reagan
1988: (R) Bush
1992: (R) Bush -she was kinda tied up giving birth that day, but I assume she supported Bush again
1996: (R) Dole
2000: (R) Bush
2004: (R) Bush- she claimed to be undecided until election day but finally broke for Bush
2008:(D) Obama- she became a special education public school teacher a few years prior and her new career made her more concerned with public school funding. I guess she trusted Obama more on this issue. We all thought this was an abrupt swing but we were happy, nonetheless.

Mom's mom: She was born in 1930 in Washington DC, the daughter of an italian mother and a german father. She moved to Atlanta as a teenager, met my grandfather who was an Irish Catholic New Yorker. She converted for him. Lives in the Atlanta suburbs.

1960: (D) Kennedy- JFK is still her favorite president to this day. She has a ton of Kennedy memorabilia and still cries when she talks about the day he was shot.
1964: (R) Goldwater- she voted against Johnson, but not for the reason you think. She was convinced Johnson was part of a conspiracy to assassinate JFK and she always despised him because of it
1968: (R) Nixon
1972: (R) Nixon
1976: (D) Carter- again, everyone in Georgia voted for him
1980: (R) Reagan- this is probably her second favorite president
1984: (R) Reagan
1988: (R) Bush
1992: (R) Bush
1996: (R) Dole
2000: (R) Bush
2004: (R) Bush
2008: (R) McCain- she and I got in many a fight about this election. She absolutely hates Obama and is convinced he is the sole reason for every problem in this country. I think it's a mix of pure politics and issues with his race and ethnic background.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies