SENATE BILL: Homeschooling Act of 2014 (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:22:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Homeschooling Act of 2014 (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Homeschooling Act of 2014 (On the President's Desk)  (Read 3524 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 08:25:19 PM »

Vote on the Motion to Table:

Aye (4): Maxwell, NC Yankee, Spiral and Tmthforu94
Nay (4): bore, Gass3268, TNF and TyriontheImperialist
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):
Vacant Seats (2): Napoleon and Xahar

The motion has failed.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 12:59:01 AM »

Glad to see rationality prevail. Let's get down to business here, folks. It's obvious you don't like the bill (for some reason this particular form of child abuse is popular among right-wingers in the Senate for reasons I'll never understand), so let's see some amendments.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 01:00:49 AM »

There is nothing to amend. There is no way I can see this bill as feasible. Plain and simple.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »

There is nothing to amend. There is no way I can see this bill as feasible. Plain and simple.

I do believe that something could be worked out regulating this form of child abuse, even though I do think that it should be totally banned for the sake of our children. But, if the right is determined to allow the abuse of children by religious and erstwhile fanatics, then I'm afraid a compromise is indeed impossible.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 01:17:40 AM »

I do believe that something could be worked out regulating this form of child abuse, even though I do think that it should be totally banned for the sake of our children. But, if the right is determined to allow the abuse of children by religious and erstwhile fanatics, then I'm afraid a compromise is indeed impossible.

You don't know what you're talking about.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 01:28:48 AM »

Glad to see rationality prevail. Let's get down to business here, folks. It's obvious you don't like the bill (for some reason this particular form of child abuse is popular among right-wingers in the Senate for reasons I'll never understand), so let's see some amendments.
Another example of out-of-line attacks by the Senator from the Midwest...

Homeschooling is not child abuse. Sure, there are probably unfortunate instances where an individual homeschools their child and abuses them. But that also is a problem that occurs to students who attend public, private, and charter schools.

There are advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling, just like there are advantages and disadvantages with other forms of schools. Ultimately, the parents should be able to have a say in what type of education their student receives. Thankfully, there are already programs in place to ensure accountability by the parents who do choose homeschooling. Why should we ban the system that is producing the best results?

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »

Furthermore, I'd argue that this is unconstitutional, a violation of Article 6.1 of the 3rd Constitution.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2014, 08:56:14 AM by President Duke »

I think banning it outright would be unconstitutional. Also, aren't there already regulations that ensures kids who are homeschooled are taught up to a specific standard.

While I agree that the religious who homeschool their kids are nuts, we have freedom of religion and it's their right to do that, as much as I may personally disagree with them.

If we don't have regulations in place, we can discuss something like that, like making sure parents are qualified to teach their children or having standards in place, but an outright ban probably would be struck down by the courts unless we amend the constitution.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2014, 10:47:13 AM by Assemblyman DC »

The jackboot left is at it again I see.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »

I would prefer to let the region's handle regulation of this matter. I am going to be increasing the frequency of my interaction with the Emperor of the IDS, including hopefully some kind of weekly interaction at minimum. I shall be recommending that he review the appropriate statutes and acting accordingly. If a region were to ban this, I would disagree with it, but it is their perogative to do so.

I don't see any need or practical use for Federal legislation on this matter.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »

TNF, as an homeschooling advocate why do you think its ok to monopolize education like the left did marriage and healthcare prior to my arrival? All the homeschoolers I know are well adjusted individuals who are good at what they do now that they're adults. The government seems to be afraid of competition thus your bill is allowed to even come up. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »

There is absolutely no way I can support this bill. Homeschooling rights are something that's very important to me, so I can't even think of any way this bill could be amendent to get my support.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »

Motion to table, there are no circumstances under which I can support this bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

Motion to table, there are no circumstances under which I can support this bill.
A motion already failed by Senators who wanted to "compromise", but have yet to make any suggestions. Sad
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »

A motion already failed by Senators who wanted to "compromise", but have yet to make any suggestions. Sad

But there might be enough votes now.  You, me, Yankee, Spiral, Goldwater, and presumably Shua would surely be enough.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

But there might be enough votes now.  You, me, Yankee, Spiral, Goldwater, and presumably Shua would surely be enough.

It requires two thirds of those voting to table a bill. If all Senators vote that is seven.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »

It requires two thirds of those voting to table a bill. If all Senators vote that is seven.

In that case, I motion for a final vote.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 01:55:26 AM »

I feel confident in voting against the motion to table because tmth came back with some good data, and I can also feel confident in opposing the bill. I would also be open to a final vote now.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 09:44:35 AM »

The VP may open a final vote at any point that debate on the merits of the bill has been ceased for 24 hours or longer.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »

I remain stanchly opposed to this legislation. It would be nice if the sponsor made an actual attempt to defend this bill and respond to criticisms instead of just launching attacks.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »

This amendment doesn't change the unconstitutionality of the legislation.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »

I remain stanchly opposed to this legislation. It would be nice if the sponsor made an actual attempt to defend this bill and respond to criticisms instead of just launching attacks.

I was pretty clear on the intent of this bill. The fact that the right will abide with child abuse in order to protect the "right" of parents to educate their children at home should not obscure that fact.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »

I was pretty clear on the intent of this bill. The fact that the right will abide with child abuse in order to protect the "right" of parents to educate their children at home should not obscure that fact.

And you still support the state's right to educate children against their will.  How is that any less child abuse than homeschooling?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »

And you still support the state's right to educate children against their will.  How is that any less child abuse than homeschooling?

Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies