SENATE BILL: Fifth Amendment to the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:13:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Fifth Amendment to the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Fifth Amendment to the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act (Law'd)  (Read 2608 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 14, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

Our electoral law currently has protections against voter fraud, but very little in the way of protecting voters in the exercising of their rights. This amendment will fix this, and I hope all Senators will support it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:55 PM »

I appreciate your input Junkie, and I can see the need for some clear definitions. On the other hand, I believe this law is important for the functioning of Atlasian democracy itself. We do not have a secret ballot here, and such would be impractical, so we must take measures to stop those who would intimidate another into voting a certain way. This isn't meant at all to stop people from quid-pro-quos. The blackmail language is meant to protect people from credible threats of public revealing of privately exchanged information. It's part of a larger principal, and it's worth considering whether there are other instances of misleading or threatening communication that place an undue obstacle on the ability of a person to vote as they wish.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »

I'm just wondering if we need to clarify/narrow this given Junkie's comments. What do people think?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:36:14 PM »

Maybe "threats or intimidation" is too broad  and that wording just removed - unless there is another type of threat besides blackmail we need to be concerned about. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »

I would personally prefer this bill to the one Snowguy introduced on behalf of tmth. In fact, I wouldn't mind just repealing the law tmth broke.
It's not a t all clear which law, if any, tmth broke since there wasn't a trial. But do you mean that campaigning for invalidation of votes shouldn't be illegal in itself, but covered under this law if it involves some sort of intimidation or threat?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »

okay, I'd like to amend this to narrow the language a bit and hopefully make it more legally sound:

Fifth Amendment to the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act

Section 1, Clause 9 is added to the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act: "9. Intimidation of a voter into voting or not voting a certain way, or into invalidating one's vote, through credible threats to disclose personal information; or contacting voters with disinformation about the election process in order to prevent casting of a valid ballot."

Section 2, Clause 1 shall read: "1. For offences described in Clauses 1,2, 3, 7 and 9 of Section 1"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »

I liked the original version better. This seems too vague.
How is it be more vague than the original? To me, this is clearly more defined. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »

In the original version, "intimidation" was included and was indeed broad. In this version it is modified by the phrase "through credible threats to disclose personal information." That is the only type of intimidation that is included.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »

It should apply to more than just invalidation. Editing within twenty minutes or initial casting. Intimidation and threats are wrong, period. They have no place in this game.
I modified it to narrow the type of intimidation so it wouldn't be too vague, but it still applies whether or not the vote has already been cast when the threat is made.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »

It should apply to more than just invalidation. Editing within twenty minutes or initial casting. Intimidation and threats are wrong, period. They have no place in this game.
I modified it to narrow the type of intimidation so it wouldn't be too vague, but it still applies whether or not the vote has already been cast when the threat is made.

I think its fair for the law to cover this behavior before votes are made as well.
I agree. That's why I wrote it that way.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »

Not from me. I think it's ready to vote on.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies