Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:12:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360098 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2475 on: June 14, 2020, 07:03:49 AM »

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2476 on: June 14, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »

Please just pick Harris.

Really anyone but Harris or Whitmer would be a disaster pick.

Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2477 on: June 14, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2478 on: June 14, 2020, 08:41:35 AM »

That’s why he should still consider types like Whitmer and even Klobuchar. They’d be much more popular overall than woke Warren and Harris.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2479 on: June 14, 2020, 09:03:16 AM »

That’s why he should still consider types like Whitmer and even Klobuchar. They’d be much more popular overall than woke Warren and Harris.
You don't know what you're saying.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2480 on: June 14, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »

Just look at this year's primary results, which show that voters despise candidates like Warren and Harris and also love... Amy Klobuchar?
JRP1994

« Reply #2481 on: June 14, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »

Biden is gonna pick a Senator. Picking someone from South FL as African American doesnt help Biden.  Val Demings wont be picked. That's why Biden is going with Abrams. 

The protests will die down, Lebron James was close to Stephen Jackson, and was very vocal in the Trayvon Martin.  Once Lakers start playing, there wont be anymore protests.

There isnt a dime's worth of differences between Warren or Harris. Jill Biden has a friendship with Warren

Huh?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2482 on: June 14, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »

Just look at this year's primary results, which show that voters despise candidates like Warren and Harris and also love... Amy Klobuchar?

The Democratic primary electorate is not the same as the general election electorate.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2483 on: June 14, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »

Umm yes..Biden’s coalition was basically Pete and Amy’s in demographically similar places after NH. lol at the town by town numbers in Massachusetts. Warren was a Brookline and Cambridge person only and got destroyed outside there. She makes Ivy Leaguers feel better about themselves
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2484 on: June 14, 2020, 10:35:08 AM »

Biden is gonna pick a Senator. Picking someone from South FL as African American doesnt help Biden.  Val Demings wont be picked. That's why Biden is going with Abrams. 

The protests will die down, Lebron James was close to Stephen Jackson, and was very vocal in the Trayvon Martin.  Once Lakers start playing, there wont be anymore protests.

There isnt a dime's worth of differences between Warren or Harris. Jill Biden has a friendship with Warren

Abrams isn't a senator.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2485 on: June 14, 2020, 10:43:37 AM »

In contrast to what she said a few days ago on Colbert, Abrams now deflects when asked if she's been contacted by the Biden campaign about VP vetting:

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2486 on: June 14, 2020, 11:16:21 AM »

Huh?

I was saying that before the Atlanta protests. But, Senators are gonna be selected not Val Demings.  Biden is seriously looking at Tammy Baldwin, it turns out, not just Warren. If that's the case, then Dems are looking to expand the map for Senate and Ron Kind will be the next Senator
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2487 on: June 14, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »

Huh?

I was saying that before the Atlanta protests. But, Senators are gonna be selected not Val Demings.  Biden is seriously looking at Tammy Baldwin, it turns out, not just Warren. If that's the case, then Dems are looking to expand the map for Senate and Ron Kind will be the next Senator

This is stupid.  There’s basically no evidence that the veep pick is politically important--certainly not enough to swing a difficult Senate race.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2488 on: June 14, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »

OC is meant to be appreciated not understood.

Not sure why people are engaging with him.
Los Angeles Swag Boss
L.A. Da Boss
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2489 on: June 14, 2020, 12:22:17 PM »

I think there should be tiers that people think about when looking at the candidates. They probably had 5-7 people send in financial stuff with another 5 or so that they called to talk to.

Here's what I think those tiers look like:

Frontrunners - Harris, Warren
Back-Ups - Susan Rice, Klobuchar, Demings, Lujan Grisham, Lance Bottoms
Called, but no - Abrams, CCM, Whitmer, Duckworth, Baldwin

Frontrunners will be the ones decided upon if both of their vets clear, and if they both have bad things pop up in the vets, they will turn to the back-ups.

This would make sense with the Abrams answer, Whitmer not talking about it, and CCM denial going public.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2490 on: June 14, 2020, 01:30:07 PM »

I think there should be tiers that people think about when looking at the candidates. They probably had 5-7 people send in financial stuff with another 5 or so that they called to talk to.

Here's what I think those tiers look like:

Frontrunners - Harris, Warren
Back-Ups - Susan Rice, Klobuchar, Demings, Lujan Grisham, Lance Bottoms
Called, but no - Abrams, CCM, Whitmer, Duckworth, Baldwin

Frontrunners will be the ones decided upon if both of their vets clear, and if they both have bad things pop up in the vets, they will turn to the back-ups.

This would make sense with the Abrams answer, Whitmer not talking about it, and CCM denial going public.

The NYT story says that Duckworth has been “interviewed” and Baldwin has been “interviewed at length”, so I don’t think that everyone below your top 7 has only been asked for documents and not interviewed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2491 on: June 14, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »

Baldwin once again refuses to comment on whether she's being vetted, and also (I'm not sure if she's commented on this before) says she would say yes if offered the job:

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/baldwin-says-she-would-say-yes-to-being-vp-candidate-if-biden-asked

Baldwin says she has offered her insight to the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee but would not say if she is being vetted when I asked.

"Were he to ask me to be his vice president, I would surely say yes," said Baldwin. "But I will keep my conversations in confidence - we just need to win."
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2492 on: June 14, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2493 on: June 14, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »

Just pick Harris so we can have the Biden/Harris ticket everyone has been predicting since January 2018.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2494 on: June 14, 2020, 02:38:10 PM »

My current ranking of the supposed top six
1. Warren
2. KLB
3. Rice
4. Demings
5. MLG
6. Harris
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2495 on: June 14, 2020, 05:22:47 PM »

What anyone on this forum should be looking at is the interviews on the pundit shows on CNN, MSNBC, Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah and the Sunday Morning OTA Shows (Face the Nation, Meet the Press, etc). That's where these women are being vetted most of the time, I've seen Harris, Warren, KLB, Demings, Abrams, Whitmer, Lujan Grisham & Rice all be interviewed and that's 8 VP considerations.

Right now, the way I see it... Harris is still the clear front-runner and the safe pick. I would say that KLB is making waves, Demings seem to have fallen off a bit, Abrams is getting more TV time again and so is Susan Rice. I won't be surprised if Biden picks someone like Susan Rice because he's familiar with her and she'll have the experience which people can't try to hit her on.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2496 on: June 14, 2020, 05:52:47 PM »

Biden knows how old he is. He's going to pick someone he thinks is ready to take over and be president from day one. That's not going to be a first&term congressional rep or the mayor of medium-size city. He's going to pick a Senator, someone from the House leadership, the governor of a big state, or a high-level former cabinet member.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2497 on: June 14, 2020, 06:06:05 PM »

If I am thinking like Biden and how he wants someone he can trust and be ready to step in on Day One.

1.) Susan Rice - She would be ready to step in on day one and they have a very good working relationship and know each other well. She knows Washington, DC very well and how it works. She's also pushing state-hood for DC and I'm assuming that you could combine that with Puerto Rico getting state-hood also. I see that happening this decade and we'll have 52 States. Plus the Senate would have to have representation in the Senate that create 4 new high level jobs for people to move up the ranks on.

2.) Keisha Lance Bottoms - We know Biden is fond of loyalty. KLB was one of the first to endorse for him and be a surrogate, plus she's handled everything going on in Atlanta the best she can and it's possible she can deliver the State of Georgia & both Senate seats with her on the ticket to get excitement for the ticket.

3.) Kamala Harris - This is the safest pick in my eyes, Biden will look into that. She has an attack-dog like quality but I do think the Primaries does hurt her. I'm sure Joe is still a little sour about that and probably questions Harris' motives.

4.) Elizabeth Warren - They've gotten closer over the primaries and Biden has picked up on some of her policies. But I honestly see her being put as the Secretary of the Treasury and that would definitely win Biden points with the Progressive movement.

5.) Val Demings - Biden doesn't know her that well, which is fine. I don't think he'll pick her but she could deliver Florida and that has to at least have Biden's attention and his team. I honestly think she'll be picked as Secretary of Homeland Security.

After that, it's all lip-service. Those 5 are probably the ones being seriously considered. The more I read as each new day passes by, I'm starting to get the feeling that Biden will pick Susan Rice. I almost think they would welcome Trump & Pence along with there Administration to try and take them on about National Security. People just will not care at this point of Benghazi. Now if Biden goes in a different direction, I think Susan Rice will be a lock for Secretary of State.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2498 on: June 14, 2020, 06:13:41 PM »

Just pick Harris so we can have the Biden/Harris ticket everyone has been predicting since January 2018.

I've said this before, but I do think that's going to end up being the case. It's a similar situation to Clinton picking Tim Kaine in 2016: there was a lot of speculation leading up to her choice, but everyone knew deep down inside that it was always going to be Kaine who was chosen.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2499 on: June 14, 2020, 07:46:20 PM »

He'll pick Harris, paving the way for my Harris/Duckworth dream 2024 ticket:

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 105 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies