Keystone Phil Courageously Speaks the Truth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:58:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Keystone Phil Courageously Speaks the Truth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Keystone Phil Courageously Speaks the Truth  (Read 3502 times)
Reluctant Republican

« on: December 22, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »

I do wonder when/if we'll see movement in the polls due to this coverage. The pessimist in me suspects dear Ron shall be Herman Cain 2.0, but as of yet this has not really been borne out in the numbers. And the most people are still showing up to his events, though who can tell how much that means.

I do question if all this "Iowa won't matter if Paul wins" coverage won't actually end up helping Paul with those voters. It seems like a pretty offensive argument to me, but I am biased, so it's hard to say what normal people think of it.

Reluctant Republican

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »

With all due respect, I would argue that ignoring results you don't like is rather undemocratic.

I could see if Paul had no support outside of Iowa, but he's polling in third or second in New Hampshire. He's going to be  a factor in the early states. I would argue it's unfortunate for the mainstream of the Republican party to dismiss him, if only because he's then more likely to run third party, which I think we could all agree would ensure President Obama's reelection.

I don't consider myself as vehement as some of Paul's other supporters. I strongly support him, but it's clear the man has flaws(His poor character judgement perhaps is at the top of the list).  But can't we all agree that the man and his organization has proven he has a niche in the Republican party? Dismissing that niche is counterproductive, especially when it's getting more people, especially young people, involved in the Republican party than any other candidate.

That being said, I prefer Santorum to Bachmann. I believe he's a sincere man, whatever else his flaws may be. He was my first ever vote in 2006, and while he's fallen in my esteem since then, I still harbor some respect for him for being principled. Let us all agree that he should finish ahead of Romney, ha ha.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »

It's clear the man has flaws(His poor character judgement perhaps is at the top of the list).  But can't we all agree that the man and his organization has proven he has a niche in the Republican party? Dismissing that niche is counterproductive, especially when it's getting more people, especially young people, involved in the Republican party than any other candidate.

With regard to the Ron Paul Survival Report, how is Paul's niche being "dismissed"? That it's being widely discussed suggests the opposite. Heightened scrutiny and reporters refusing to accept Paul's dismissals are signs that he's gained credibility.

I'm more arguing in the Republican party, I think it's a mistake to dismiss Paul and his supporters as insignificant. He's clearly taping into something, yet the party's response by and large seems to be to ignore him, and if that fails, to downplay him. Paul should be scrutinized as much as the other frontrunners. But if he's able to win Iowa, if he's able to place second in New Hampshire, and if he's able to win the 18-25 demographic of young Republicans, I think the party may want to take a look at what he's doing and emulate some of it.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies