Unlike Reagan,Bush adopted policy of the Christian right. Will that cost him? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:45:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Unlike Reagan,Bush adopted policy of the Christian right. Will that cost him? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unlike Reagan,Bush adopted policy of the Christian right. Will that cost him?  (Read 3432 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: June 08, 2004, 03:24:25 PM »

Reagan talked far right but in reality he was moderate right. He appointed to the supreme court two moderates, O'Connor and Kennedy, though granted the latter came after Bork. Both of those later voted to uphold the right to choose on abortion. The years 1982-1984 were marked by big tax increases. He didn't try to change the federal reserve's policy inherited from the Carter administration. Under his administration, the number of new federal regulations remained the same about every year, contrary to myth. His star wars program was a bluff--abeit successful one-- but he maintained America's treaty credibility by not repealing the ABM treaty with Russia. He didn't order the kind of wide scale military intervention without allies, in Grenada there were even American civilians living inside the country who might be threatened. In the later 80's he embraced Gorbachev and detente with the Soviets and began to cut military spending. Overall I think he was a flexible politician despite his rhetoric, he knew how to make America feel good.

I think Bush contrasts with Reagan on all these points. Although both represented conservatism, Bush acts as if conservatives are the only ones left in America, Reagan knew he was a conservative representative in an ideologically diverse America.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 08:48:58 PM »

Unfortunately religion is being used as a wedge issue. Just like libertarians, of which there are a great number of moderate ones but who won't vote that way because the party is not competitive, a lot of Americans are Christian left. That is, conservative socially but are more passionate about being liberal economically. Yet they see the Democratic party has not religious enough so feel they must vote Republican, even if they dislike Bush. I see plenty of people like this. They too have no party to go to. It might explain why Kerry hasn't been able to capitalise on Bush's low numbers or discontent over the direction this country is headed too. So the 2-party system is really hurting. Personally I feel the right emphasizes the wrong points of Christianity, turning many people off to it. I am a Christian. I do not think it is primarily meant to be used as a tool for social control, or to impose shallow and semi-sincere religious laws.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies