Labour Party leadership election 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:30:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party leadership election 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party leadership election 2015  (Read 140613 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 05, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »

Tbh Blair's biggest mistake (well there's a lot of them) was not trying to push harder to nationalize it. Talking to my tory relatives they seem to think it's mad that Major sold it off-heck didn't Thatcher call it the poll tax on wheels?

The problem is that Burnham looks rather like he's trying to copy Corbyn. He's had to ditch his whole campaign plan of not looking too left wing since he expected to be fighting Cooper

The interesting thing is that since privatisation there has been a dramatic spike in passenger numbers according to this graph:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/GBR_rail_passengers_by_year.png 

Maybe people are in favour of nationisation in an abstract way without thinking carefully about what British Rail was actually like to use on a day-to-day basis before 1995.

But, does a correlation exist? Or the rise is due to young people having less car + train seen as more green than a car for long travel? Or a mix of these?

And, even then, why it would suddently run badly as soon it's nationalized?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:18:35 PM »

There have been vague rumours of an upset.

I've heard that too. Kezia is the sensible choice on the basis is that she's at Holyrood, is actually not that bad at FMQ's and is also easily replaceable. Ian Murray has been rather...subtle with his 'family man' rhetoric the insinuations of which I won't go into here. If he wins, it's not clear who will lead at Holyrood where at the moment Iain Gray is doing the honours, especially if Gordon Mathieson (who's one FOI request away from trouble) gets the deputyship.

Ian Murray isn't running, as far as I know.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies