Virginia Attoney General race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:19:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Attoney General race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Virginia Attoney General race  (Read 6754 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »

The recount starts Monday in Arlington, Fairfax, and Chesapeake, and everywhere else on Tuesday. Only optical scanner and handwritten ballots are actually recounted.  Touchscreen votes really can't be recounted, just recanvassed.  Out of the 2.2 million votes only about 700,000 will be recounted, according to VPAP.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 10:33:01 PM »

The recount starts Monday in Arlington, Fairfax, and Chesapeake, and everywhere else on Tuesday. Only optical scanner and handwritten ballots are actually recounted.  Touchscreen votes really can't be recounted, just recanvassed.  Out of the 2.2 million votes only about 700,000 will be recounted, according to VPAP.

First day of recounts, only jurisdiction providing updates is Fairfax where Herring added 234 votes and Obenshain 95 with a little over 1/3 of the recount complete.  Pushes Herring's lead to 304 votes.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »

Mid-Morning update, with the recount still dominated by Fairfax, Herring now has a 455 votes lead. About 10 smaller counties with Touchscreen have reported no or minimal changes.  More importantly, in Chesterfield which Obenshain won by about 10,000 votes, Herring has picked up 14 more votes than Obenshain so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApI-UwWlYOlrdGw4VXJNX3VUYkE1TE81d0xDa3NRMEE&usp=sharing#gid=0
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »

Grin
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »

Good news!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »

Herring's general counsel says the margin is now 607 with about 50% of the recount reporting.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »

This recount appears to be helping Herring. Sad

Better trying than giving up.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »

Latest update from Herring puts the margin as high as 866.  There are just under 120 contested ballots and if all the challenges fail, it 866, if their all successful it's 811.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 10:30:59 PM »

Also, Herring likely carried VA-10 now.  He was down 72 there in the initial count before all of the changes in Fairfax and Loudoun.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »

The sweep is complete!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/obenshain-to-concede-virginia-attorney-generals-race-on-wednesday-in-richmond/2013/12/18/fe85a31c-67e7-11e3-8b5b-a77187b716a3_story.html
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »

I'm surprised Obershain didn't take it to the House of Delegates, they would have overwhelmingly voted to seat him. I guess he accepted the result, though and didn't take the easy path.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »

I'm surprised Obershain didn't take it to the House of Delegates, they would have overwhelmingly voted to seat him. I guess he accepted the result, though and didn't take the easy path.

With Herring's lead growing to 600+ votes that would have been a scandal of national proportions. I really doubt that national Republicans would want such bad publicity in exchange for the office of a state AG.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:18 PM »

With Herring's lead growing to 600+ votes that would have been a scandal of national proportions. I really doubt that national Republicans would want such bad publicity in exchange for the office of a state AG.
I bet he might have, but it says the state legislature would contest the election which includes both the largely Republican controlled House of Delegates and the now newly controlled split 50-50 Democratic State Senate. Assuming all 20 Democratic State Senators would go loyally for Herring, Obenshain really would have just been wasting his time on a split decision by both chambers of the legislature.

There's no doubt though that given Cuccinelli's arrogance, he must have pressured him all throughout to try that option just so a Democrat wouldn't be the one succeeding him in office as AG.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »

True, that would be a bridge too far, even for Republicans. Overturning an election would not be good press at all.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »

Well, if they do that, new election? And Herring would win by double digits.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »

Obenshain still has statewide ambitions. Doing that would make him toxic. As it is, he's likely still the frontrunner for the nomination in 2017 since Bolling is in exile.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »

It's certified, Herring won by 907 votes.  Turns out not to be closest election in Virginia history as that remains the Deeds-McDonnell race for AG in 2005. 
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »

I bet he might have, but it says the state legislature would contest the election which includes both the largely Republican controlled House of Delegates and the now newly controlled split 50-50 Democratic State Senate. Assuming all 20 Democratic State Senators would go loyally for Herring, Obenshain really would have just been wasting his time on a split decision by both chambers of the legislature.

There's no doubt though that given Cuccinelli's arrogance, he must have pressured him all throughout to try that option just so a Democrat wouldn't be the one succeeding him in office as AG.

No, the HoD and state Senate would've voted in a joint session, and the HoD outnumbers the Senate; Obenshain would've won. But the state's Republicans have decided to accept the voters' decision.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »

No, the HoD and state Senate would've voted in a joint session, and the HoD outnumbers the Senate; Obenshain would've won. But the state's Republicans have decided to accept the voters' decision.

Mighty big of them.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »

Oh. I was assuming they had a regular session where they voted on who they wanted as AG separately. But yeah, you're right then because it would end the way you mentioned with a final vote of like 85-55.

It's annoying though because McAuliffe probably won't be able to overturn any of "Mr. Ultrasounds" laws or get anything else passed his whole term as long as Republicans hold close to a 2/3rd majority in the House of Delegates. Him and Saslaw will be able to block the passage of anymore extreme GOP bills, but besides that, his Governorship won't be very effective.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 01:10:26 AM »

Well, this looks like a slide of all three offices. Congratulations, dems.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »

Obenshain (R) likely going for the Governorship in 2017 despite losing the State AG's race.

Meanwhile, LG-elect Northam (D) has to be considered the front-runner for 2017 and Herring should seek reelection as State AG in '17.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »

Obenshain (R) likely going for the Governorship in 2017 despite losing the State AG's race.

Meanwhile, LG-elect Northam (D) has to be considered the front-runner for 2017 and Herring should seek reelection as State AG in '17.

I wonder if this could turn into the Dem version of Cuccinelli/Bolling. A lot of progressives would prefer Herring over Northam.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies