The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 01:14:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 300024 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3300 on: November 14, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »

Mr Speaker, I believe that's sufficient to ensure passage.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3301 on: November 14, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »

Mr Speaker, I believe that's sufficient to ensure passage.

Thank you, Ben, for your diligence and attention to this matter. We need more people like you in our lives.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3302 on: November 14, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »

With a vote of All to None, this bill does pass and is presented to the Emperor for his signature or veto.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3303 on: November 14, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Some basic regulations in order to create semi-humane conditions at dog/cat breeding facilities. Let debate commence.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3304 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »

I am proud to sign this bill, such that the citizens of this region may bask in the light of Aliya Mustafina.

On the Declaration of Aliya Mustafina Day Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3305 on: November 15, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »

Mr. Speaker, I wish to thank the honourable member from the sacred state of South Carolina. You are a credit to your forebearers the sultans of secession.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3306 on: November 15, 2012, 08:17:56 AM »

This is what I think of this bill. There's some good stuff in there - but there's stuff that we could do without.

I move that clauses, 1,3,4,6,8 and 16 be struck from the bill.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3307 on: November 15, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

As we had already started that discussion previously, I will state my observations again :

I'm in favor of this bill obviously. I think we could maybe add a note on article 16, explaining why this 3-day delay. There could even be a typical form or flyer that should be given to any pet acquirer and explaining why it's not like buying a stuffed animal. The model of the flyer will be our administration's to establish, but the obligation to hand it out must be in the law.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3308 on: November 15, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2012, 11:18:59 PM by Ben Kenobi »

Mr. Speaker, I'd like to address the honourable senior member from the generous state of Georgia.

I appreciate the motivation behind the 3 day waiting period - except that it works to cross purposes with the motivation to place animals in shelters. The time period is already pretty tight.

This is why I oppose it - we'd be better off imposing a penalty for pet abandonment.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3309 on: November 15, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »

I'm not inherently against any particular in this bill, but it does seem like an awful lot of regulation - and that's coming from me. Lean support - unless I can be convinced otherwise.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3310 on: November 16, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »

Didn't we already do something with this? Anyway, I do think that co-Speaker Griffin has a point; this is somewhat overboard with a decent amount of redundancy.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #3311 on: November 16, 2012, 04:06:14 AM »

It may be true that this seems a bit of a lot of legislation for a subject that is not a top priority of the times, but Gandhi is often quoted as saying : "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." (even if the actual quote has not been recorded)

If we don't pass this legislation, the situation will stay at a status quo on this. It is only by passing this bill, and granting it with full publicity for the public of future pet buyers that we will be able to make things move. This is why I advocate my idea of a form handed out to buyers.

If we do not pass this bill, who will legislate on the subject ? Do our counties or towns have the legal possibility to pass such acts ? Can we in any way encourage them to do so, and in that case we could pass a much more general bill that would only be an enticement for our lower levels of legislation to act about it.

This subject is particularly sensitive to me as I am an almost vegetarian who believes we really need to start to ask ourselves a number of questions regarding our relation towards animals, how we use them as our own, whereas nothing has entitled us the power to do so.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3312 on: November 16, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »

Mr. Speaker, I would like to address the honourable junior member from the glorious state of Geogia. Pare out what you think could be cut from the bill, and I'll support that motion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3313 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »

Didn't we already do something with this? Anyway, I do think that co-Speaker Griffin has a point; this is somewhat overboard with a decent amount of redundancy.

We did one involving horses and farm animals; this is for dogs and cats.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3314 on: November 16, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »

Maybe we should rename this the Michael Vick dog act.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3315 on: November 16, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I would like to address the honourable junior member from the glorious state of Geogia. Pare out what you think could be cut from the bill, and I'll support that motion.

I can agree with striking out Sections 4 & 8, and in addition I believe Section 12 could be scrapped as long as there are pans that prevent animals from defecating or urinating upon one another. I also think that since Section 2 effectively limits the size of the breeding operation, Section 12 would not be a huge concern.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3316 on: November 16, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I second the motion to strike sections 4, 8 and 12 from the bill.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3317 on: November 16, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »

Mr. Speaker - In response to the honourable member from the great state of Georgia -

would you be willing to toss section 16 in as well?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #3318 on: November 17, 2012, 07:15:11 AM »

Actually I think that waiting has a valuable purpose. It ensures people take consciousness that they are not buying a stuffed animal. I think it should stay.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3319 on: November 17, 2012, 08:00:32 AM »

4, 8, and 12 are accepted as friendly and striken. The purpose of 16 is to prevent the impulse buy and thus cut down on the numbers of dogs and cats that are abandoned.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3320 on: November 17, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2012, 08:49:30 AM by Ben Kenobi »

Mr. Speaker - In response to the honourable senior member from the gregarious state of Georgia -

If a shelter keeps their dogs for a week - what does a 3 day wait do to their rescue ratio? The unintended effect is that many more dogs are going to be killed without being placed.  
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #3321 on: November 17, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »

Could you explain that a bit ? I don't get it. Why would you want to kill dogs ?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3322 on: November 17, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

Mr. Speaker.

Most shelters operate on a rather tight time limit, usually around a week. Dogs arrive and if they are not claimed by another person by then - they will be killed.

Shelters cannot afford to keep dogs for 3 more days just to accommodate this law. They will end up either turning dogs away, or shortening the limit to claiming animals to 4 days from a week. The result will be more dogs killed and fewer dogs placed with loving families, the exact opposite of what this bill wants to do.

A better solution would be to fine owners if their pets are abandoned.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3323 on: November 17, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »

Mr. Speaker.

Most shelters operate on a rather tight time limit, usually around a week. Dogs arrive and if they are not claimed by another person by then - they will be killed.

Shelters cannot afford to keep dogs for 3 more days just to accommodate this law. They will end up either turning dogs away, or shortening the limit to claiming animals to 4 days from a week. The result will be more dogs killed and fewer dogs placed with loving families, the exact opposite of what this bill wants to do.

A better solution would be to fine owners if their pets are abandoned.

I foresaw this part; that's why it only applies to pet stores and does not apply to shelters.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3324 on: November 18, 2012, 02:05:30 AM »

Mr. Speaker, Addressing the honourable member from the fantastic state of Florida.

I did not see that. I concede this point is well-taken and retract that objection.

However, I still have concerns. How are we going to enforce this waiting period? Won't this  incentivize private sales not subject to the wait period and reward businesses that choose to ignore the law?

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 137 138 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies