BREAKING: SCOTUS upholds the "separate sovereigns" doctrine of double jeopardy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:19:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: SCOTUS upholds the "separate sovereigns" doctrine of double jeopardy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: SCOTUS upholds the "separate sovereigns" doctrine of double jeopardy  (Read 1305 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« on: June 18, 2019, 07:34:48 AM »

This really sucks for crime drama novelists and Hollywood.

I guess but those already require a health suspension of disbelief in courtroom settings. Like how the trials all take days even though the key witnesses are questioned for 2 minutes at the most.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:42:45 AM »

Different laws, though. Someone can be properly innocent of a crime in one jurisdiction and properly guilty in another with the same act.

What is the flaw in the reasoning here?

The dual-sovereignty doctrine is not an exception to the double jeopardy right but follows from the Fifth Amendment's text. The Double Jeopardy Clause protects individuals from being "twice put in jeopardy" "for the same offence." As originally understood, an "offence" is defined by a law, and each law is defined by a sovereign. Thus, where there are two sovereigns, there are two laws and two "offences." Gamble attempts to show from the Clause's drafting history that Congress must have intended to bar successive prosecutions regardless of the sovereign bringing the charge. But even if conjectures about subjective goals were allowed to inform this Court's reading of the text, the Government's contrary arguments on that score would prevail.

The existence of separate sovereigns is perhaps the problem.

I get it, we have states. It serves in some sense as a hierarchy of government. But then it also allows for somebody to be tried twice for same crime on a loophole like this.

I don't think we're so different that we need different laws regarding personal behavior based on location, with maybe a very few exceptions.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »

There goes Trump's last hope of not getting prosecuted once he's out of office.

That is the only reason why I am interested in this decision.

What would be more interesting is a case that involves a behavior committed in one state where it is legal and having that same behavior be a serious or even a heinous crime in another state where the person committing the behavior  has some sort of ties to the latter state. Law school or even an undergraduate civics class says this is settled law but there could be extreme and unanticipated situations in the future.

Does anyone know what I am insinuating or is this being largely digested as a “AW is bored again” post?

Hint: maybe a little but... abor✝️ion. Georgia. Others.

Another way it could arise, though rare, is if there is dispute over which state a crime took place in. One of the things that has to be proved in a trial is that the crime took place in that jurisdiction (usually a no brainer).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies