CNN Republican You-Tube Debate -- Wednesday, November 28, 2007 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:40:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  CNN Republican You-Tube Debate -- Wednesday, November 28, 2007 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN Republican You-Tube Debate -- Wednesday, November 28, 2007  (Read 12745 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:11 PM »

Huckabee is doing a good job tonight. We may be looking at the winner of the Republican Primary.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:34:11 PM »

Huckabee won this debate hands down.  He would be the only republican I would vote for.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »

Huckabee, eliminate the IRS.

Get serious.

If he wants to be a serious candidate, Huckabee had better get real.

Huckabee is the only real candidate on the republican side.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »

outstanding.  Musta been taking a leak or something last night when they did this bit.

There was a question about space exploration.  Huckabee seems to really understand that importance of basic science research.  He understands, moreover, the possibilities for spinoff technologies. 

I just keep liking that guy better and better, I have to admit.

The thing about these debates is that, unlike us junkies, most folks still haven't really decided who they like.  Or, even if they have, if they live in a caucus state--I hate that "caucus" B.S.  I wish we had primaries--anyway, if they live in a caucus state, then their second, and sometimes third, choices matter.  So some of us are still watching to decide who we like second best or third best.  All the more reason to have a crowded field.  Fringe candidates bring up important points that might not be brought up otherwise, and it forces the popular candidates to take concrete stands.  Huckabee's strength isn't that he stands with me.  In fact, he disagrees with me on a hell of a lot of things, his strength is that he seems to have the conviction to admit that he doesn't stand with me.

Obama's like that too, by the way.  I could vote for him if the GOP insists on nominating some neoconservative hell bent on ruling the world.  Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Stupid question, how do caucus work?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:38:26 PM »

outstanding.  Musta been taking a leak or something last night when they did this bit.

There was a question about space exploration.  Huckabee seems to really understand that importance of basic science research.  He understands, moreover, the possibilities for spinoff technologies. 

I just keep liking that guy better and better, I have to admit.

The thing about these debates is that, unlike us junkies, most folks still haven't really decided who they like.  Or, even if they have, if they live in a caucus state--I hate that "caucus" B.S.  I wish we had primaries--anyway, if they live in a caucus state, then their second, and sometimes third, choices matter.  So some of us are still watching to decide who we like second best or third best.  All the more reason to have a crowded field.  Fringe candidates bring up important points that might not be brought up otherwise, and it forces the popular candidates to take concrete stands.  Huckabee's strength isn't that he stands with me.  In fact, he disagrees with me on a hell of a lot of things, his strength is that he seems to have the conviction to admit that he doesn't stand with me.

Obama's like that too, by the way.  I could vote for him if the GOP insists on nominating some neoconservative hell bent on ruling the world.  Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Stupid question, how do caucus work?

not so stupid.  I'm still learning.  I've been a registered voter in six states now, and this is the first time I have had to deal with them.  First, unlike, say, California, where I could be unaffiliated (or DTS in Californiaspeak), and then choose to vote in either (but not both) party primaries, I have to pick one party here.  Toss of a coin yielded GOP.  Just kidding.  It was a hard decision, and I'm a centrist, but I gave Republicans a slight edge owing to the fact that by the time I registered here I was convinced that the Democrats would nominate Hillary with or without me so I'll probably be voting for either a Republican or an "other" for president.  Thus it kinda made sense to help shape that repubican.  so anyway, you pick a party (formally, when you get your license.  Cheap too!  25 bucks for a license.  Can you believe that?)  and you are then a Registered Republican, a Registered Democrat, or a Registered No Party person (No party is Iowaspeak for unaffiliated). 

Then, about a week later you get a little card in the mail telling where to vote.  Mine is at Cornfield Acres Evangelical Biblethumpin' Church out on Haystack Road.  (okay, I made that name up.  But it is at a church.)  Now, I haven't been yet, but this is my understanding:  On the night of January 3, Iowans gather by party preference to elect delegates to the 99 county conventions.  Presidential preference on the Republican side is done with a straw vote of those attending the caucus.  I'm not sure about the Democrats.  This vote is sometimes done by a show of hands or by dividing themselves into groups according to candidate or by jumping up and down and hollering when they call the name of your candidate.  My neighbors tell me it's a show of hands here.  In precincts that elect only 1 delegate they choose the delegate by majority vote and it must be a paper ballot.  It's not clear to me yet how many votes my precinct gets.  I live in a city of about 38 thousand, and my city is a suburb.  We live about 7 miles from the downtown center of the county seat, which is a city of about 70 thousand.  All together, my "metro area" has about 130 thousand people.  So you could call it a small city or a large town.  But that really doesn't say how large our precinct might be.  I'm guessing it's a big one, since any city in Iowa is a big city by Iowa standards.  (The biggest city in the whole state is maybe 200 thousand people.)  So, I'll assume we get somewhere between 1 and 4 votes. 

They'll call the candidates in alphabetical order, and I'll stick up my hand when they say "Paul."  In much of Iowa, I figure I'd be the only one.  But I do live in a University town.  And I do see lots of Ron Paul 2008 signs.  And I only live about a mile from the university (~14000 students), so I'm figuring I'm in a Paul-friendly precinct.  Anyway, we'll take a straw vote.  And if no one gets a majority, then we'll "reorganize" and take another, and another, and another.  I'm planning to be loud and obnoxious and caucus for Paul and debate for him and pull out my schlong and jump around and pretty much do whatever it takes to get more Paul votes.  But if it looks bleak, I'll jump on the Huckabee bandwagon.  If we get as many as 4 votes, I'm sure either Paul or Huck gets one.  If we get only 1, then it'll be tough. 

I'll report either that night or the morning after and let ya know how it goes.

Oh, I think I'll stick with me going in my own booth and voting for my candidate.  (Which I am a republican, because I never changed it, so I'll more then likely vote for Huckabee).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies