Who will be the next new Senator in each state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:42:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will be the next new Senator in each state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who will be the next new Senator in each state?  (Read 6129 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: July 26, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »

SC - probably still in utero
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »

This is a fun exercise, but think of it this way, how many of the senators elected since 1999 would have been on our lists if we'd done it then? Not many, I think. Lindsey Graham, yes, perhaps Mark Pryor and John Cornyn, but what about Martinez, Dole, Chambliss, Tester, McCaskill, Klobuchar...?

Either we hadn't heard about them, or we'd have thought the seat would have gone to the other party (Mark Kennedy?), or they seemed on a different trajectory.  Bush recruited a lot of unlikely candidates who are now senators.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:00:10 AM »

That is just absurd on so many levels.  How can running ads make up 11 points by itself?

Well, if you believed the polls showing Hagen and Dole closely matched and swapping leads right before Liddy started a barrage of ads leading to the current situation...
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:58:06 AM »

He wasn't popular any more in 2005, either.

This is where the quality of the Democrat becomes an issue--Feinstein vs. the two guys who tore each other to shreds in the primary in '06--and the divergence between federal and state voting patterns.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »

I recognize the folly in predicting these things, since often candidates come out of nowhere, and in other cases it may be decades before either of the state's incumbents are gone, but:

AL - Troy King

Wasn't he involved in a gay sex scandal? Or is that going away?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:33:53 AM »

Jo Ann Emerson is the GOP's obvious choice in Missouri, don't you think?
If Bond retires, she'd probably be the GOP's first pick for that seat. If she doesn't run, they can always ask Matt Blunt. Wink

She always struck me as a bit of a lightweight.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »

If she looked like Barbara Mikulski, would you say the same thing? On the basis of her body of work as a legislator, I'd say she's been very effective. IIRC, she was one of the legislators who balked at the Medicare expansion boondoggle.

It's a reaction to two things: her awkward self-aggrandizement in press releases (she talked a little too effusively about how people loved her where she was) and the trend among Congressional widows who then rise to their husband's seats. It's guilt by association with Mary Bono Mack, if anything. I admit that the first is just pique on my part.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »

Note that both Lois Capps and Doris Matsui can be included in that category.  And Niki Tsongas can probably also be included.

Indeed they can, and in the case of Capps and Tsongas, I had them in mind.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies