Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:59:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread  (Read 26984 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: January 31, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »

ding ding ding! We have a winner. I wish this was reddit and I could give you gold or something. Every single time a republican blathers about a "republic", it's to justify tyranny of the minority.

Honestly everyone who uses the argument "The US are a republic, not a democracy" should be reminded that republic literally just means the absence of a monarchy.

The US are a democracy simply by the fact that they have free and fair elections to elect their leaders.

I doubt any Republican who uses that argument would want the US to actually become one of those "we are a Republic, not a democracy" countries like the People's Republic of China, the Islamic Republic of Iran or the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for example Tongue

All 3 of those are just as much of a Republic as the US. It's just that they are not democratic republics.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 06:41:10 AM »

Perhaps this might be a hot take, but I don't think anyone should ever be stripped of committee assignments, under any circumstances.

It is literally their job as Congressmen to serve in committees. If Congress doesn't want them doing their job, then expel them. But if not, they should get to serve in commitees.

Why should GA-14's duly elected representative be treated any different from the other 434 congressmen? She may be crazy and stupid, but it's who the people of GA-14 chose to represent them in Congress.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 07:09:16 AM »

Perhaps this might be a hot take, but I don't think anyone should ever be stripped of committee assignments, under any circumstances.

It is literally their job as Congressmen to serve in committees. If Congress doesn't want them doing their job, then expel them. But if not, they should get to serve in commitees.

Why should GA-14's duly elected representative be treated any different from the other 434 congressmen? She may be crazy and stupid, but it's who the people of GA-14 chose to represent them in Congress.

Woodrow Wilson said that Congress in committee is at Congress at work, and Congress in session is Congress on exhibition. Marjorie Taylor Greene is a pure exhibitionist.

Someone should have told the voters of GA-14 that before it was too late though. There's still time to convince them not to reelect MTG in 2022 though!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 09:25:00 AM »

Because their representative has behaved more abhorrently than (most of) the other 434 congressmen. The people of GA-14 are entitled to elect whoever they please to represent them. They are not, however, entitled to have everyone else pretend that this person’s behavior is normal and acceptable.

To my knowledge she hasn't done anything crazy on the House floor? Huh If she was unruly in the floor she could be kicked out (my mind always comes to the UK and when an MP was kicked for calling the PM "Dodgy Dave"). But I don't think this applies here?

Parliamentary immunity means that she is entitled to her own opinions without fear of retribution. And if the people of GA-14 want to be represented by someone who talks about "Jewish space lasers" or whatever that is their choice I guess
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »

It's not just Jewish space lasers. She liked comments that discussed putting a bullet in Pelosi's head, about executing FBI agents, and replied back about hangings of Obama and Hillary.

If you or I did that, we would be visited by authorities and "our jobs" (as a Congress Rep, a CEO or a store clerk) would/could be disrupted. If the story got out, you could be warned by your boss/employer, demoted, transferred, fired, chastised/scolded by your fellow employees, etc, etc.
These are indirect death threats. If anything, it leaves fear in people's (fellow employees) minds, that this individual is not normal, and may decide to go "postal" one day (especially when you know the individual is consistently carrying a gun at their side).

Yeah, death threats and violence are almost about the only kind of speech that should carry consequences. I thought she only had said stupid stuff like full belief in QAnon and the Jewish space lasers thing; not outright threats.

Tbh I still think that removing her from assignments is not the way to go. If she is such a big threat to her own colleagues (like Pelosi or Cori Bush, who she has apparently threatened as well) that she can't be trusted not to shoot them at some point in her tenure; I still think she should be outright expelled for those threats; removing her from commitees doesn't really do much to protect the safety of the other 434 representatives.

And it must be made clear that she is removed not for her opinions (like I said, she can talk about Jewish Death Stars all she wants) but rather for threats to her own colleagues.

I am not sure how things would work in the US, but assuming things work in a comparable way I guess the vote should not have been on removing her from commitees, but rather on removing her parliamentary immunity. If successful, then she should be sued for death threats, and if found guilty, thrown in jail for a couple of years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies