SB 2016-110: Police Responsibility Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:02:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-110: Police Responsibility Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2016-110: Police Responsibility Act (Debating)  (Read 2580 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »

Seems fairly reasonable, but I think it should stipulate false report actions as well, for example what happens if someone falsely accuses an officer of doing something and they lose all that money, then what?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »

Seems fairly reasonable, but I think it should stipulate false report actions as well, for example what happens if someone falsely accuses an officer of doing something and they lose all that money, then what?

Considering that it's extremely difficult to bring an officer to court much less indict them for wrongdoing, I don't foresee cases of false accusations being a problem.  I'm willing to amend the text to re-compensate falsely accused officers if others consider it appropriate, but I strongly believe that the current legal system is skewed very much in favor of rogue officers at the expense of victims, and that system must change.
Right you are and I do think we need criminal justice reform but I do think we should have a contingency just in case the system somehow flip flops the other way (as very unlikely as that is at the present time)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:54:08 AM »

A couple of comments I would like to make regarding this bill, while I do believe it is a needed adjustment and that this issue is an important one that needs to be addressed, I find 2 sections to be potentially problematic for the future.

Section 3: What if the accused officer/convicted officer doesn't have enough money to pay said fines in any given case? Should we add a cap to ensure that if convicted, the money will actually be paid back?

Section 4: I am not sure this is entirely the correct course as you may substantially harm the finances of an officer if it ends up that they did not do said crime

With all of that being said, I think it may be prudent to add a section that helps provide funding to implement body cameras for all or most Atlasian police officers (through regional, state, and local means) in order to ensure that officers are both protected and properly policed themselves.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:29:08 AM »

Alrighty I'd be willing to sign now
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies