ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:59:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 77573 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 14, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »

I can see why people consider ME-SEN Lean D at this stage. Personally I don't buy it yet, not enough polls are in showing Gideon with big enough leads.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »

I can see why people consider ME-SEN Lean D at this stage. Personally I don't buy it yet, not enough polls are in showing Gideon with big enough leads.

If I had to come up with a rationale for why this is Leans D, it's is RCV. I feel like that's something that has not been discussed much in the context of this race. It propped up Jared Golden in 2018, and in 2020 there is a Green Party candidate here as well as a handful of independents.
Fair point, that's probably the best reason one might pull out for actually rating it that way.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »

There has been very little head-to-head polling of Collins vs. Gideon (and the few recent ones we've had show a close race), so I would hesitate to call this Lean D yet. It should also be noted that in the past much of Collins' disapproval in past polling came from conservative Republicans who would ultimately vote for her.

With that said, the trajectory of the race is clearly not favorable to Collins and it should be much more competitive than some here were initially expecting.
Well put. I would note that many have Margeret Chase Smith as a comparison to Collins; but they forget that even she, legendary as she was, was toppled by a liberal Democrat in 1972. So they really didn't think the comparison fully through.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies