2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:03:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 90
Author Topic: 2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)  (Read 181017 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »

PPP are looking like pimps after this one. It must be said.
That is true. PPP has another in the bag.
If you can admit that PPP nailed this one, why can't you admit that O'Donnell is going to be defeated in November? It would take a literal miracle for her to turn those Favorable numbers around.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1926 on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »

That is the anti tax commuter to Boston area jobs, and was the area Romney was strongest in, FWIW.

My unscientific read on the numbers is that she doesn't have a strong enough regional base there to offset Monty's lead in Manchester, but there are plenty of other places that might have surprises that help her.

Londonderry is a suburb on I-93 just north of Nashua and it went to Lamontagne by a small margin.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1927 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »

Maybe it will get bad enough, that somehow, O'Donnell will just fade away. What does Castle say he is going to do?  What a crazy primary season.

Endorsing Coons wouldn't be out of the question, and not endorsing anyone seems quite possible and even likely. Certainly he won't be campaigning for her.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1928 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:45 PM »

Castle really doesn't have much to lose by endorsing Coons, it's not like the guy will ever hold office again.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1929 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »

That is the anti tax commuter to Boston area jobs, and was the area Romney was strongest in, FWIW.

It is also Ayotte's home.

Oh. That takes the air out of that balloon.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1930 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:10 PM »

Oh NOEZ! Some people in another state chose a primary candidate I dislike! I'm so CONCERNED!

If you're a partisan it is concerning when it means basically throwing away a free seat.
Yeah, but it's basically the equivalent of someone like Zell Miller being primaried. Ideological purity is allowed to trump electability when the nominated candidate is essentially worthless to your goals.

The focus on legislative votes overlooks the first and most important vote. That's the one that organizes the body for the next two years. Committees are a critical and often overlooked part of the legislative process. Party control of the committees makes or breaks bills. Yes, there's a filibuster in the Senate, but tying bad bills up in committee is far more effective than bringing them to a floor fight. Bringing good alternatives out of committee to the floor is far more useful than posting the idea on a web site.

So that first vote by a Senator may set the entire agenda for Congress. That first vote doesn't mean so much if it's between 40 and 41 out of 100, or even 46 and 47. But if it ends up between vote 50 and vote 51, that's huge.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1931 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »

Paladino wins the Republican line! And Lazio wins the Conservative line! It's a primary day miracle Cheesy

Paladino wasn't running in the Conservative primary.  A split was inevitable if Paladino won.

Lazio got what he deserved.  He ran a terrible campaign.

Lazio could've lost the Conservative line to the random nobody though.

The random nobody was actually a Conservative party member.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1932 on: September 14, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »

The NY AG's race has narrowed considerably - Rice only leads Schneiderman 32-30 with 47% in
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1933 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »

Paladino wins the Republican line! And Lazio wins the Conservative line! It's a primary day miracle Cheesy

Paladino wasn't running in the Conservative primary.  A split was inevitable if Paladino won.

Lazio got what he deserved.  He ran a terrible campaign.

Lazio could've lost the Conservative line to the random nobody though.

The random nobody was actually a Conservative party member.

Ok, but my point is that he would've won far fewer votes on the line than Lazio will on it in November.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #1934 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:29 PM »

The NY AG's race has narrowed considerably - Rice only leads Schneiderman 32-30 with 47% in

NYC is reporting
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #1935 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »

Who's throwing the temper tantrum now?  ajc, you are exactly the problem in our party.  We can't change anything that they are doing with your views.  Yet, with every weasely defection like yours (like Crist, like Specter, soon Murkowski and soon Castle) we gain new people who were once democrats realizing that we are for what they stand for.  Do you see democrats switching parties because their candidate didn't win?  No, they don't and if you want to know why, it's because even though they have petty rivalries, they are always united on their end goals.  Conservatives are not united on our end goals and we need to be.  Those goals must be different goals from the democratic party.  We have to flush out people like Castle and Crist and Murkowski in order to do that.  All throughout the Bush years we had democrats and republicans joining together in an unholy union to pass spending programs and invasions of privacy.  We had democrats and republicans joining together to increase the power of the executive and weaken the power of the people.  That time is over.

Just tell me where does the "I'm more conservative" idea stop?
Ultimately how are are you willing to go to have this "conservative" purity that you want?

We don't have to be pure, but there are things going on in this country right now that we must change if the country is to survive.  This is a year to stand on principle and set a line in the sand that people must cross.  If the democrats win on their ideas then they're going to win, and we all lose.  If the democrats win because we allowed a moderate republican leadership to lead us on the slow path to decline (a moderate republican leadership that even in times of party control joins with democrats), then they still win and we all lose - and that's a damn shame because we could have done something about it like we are now.

So would you be happy with Castle in the senate?
If not, explain?

Because he isn't conservative enough?  
the smaller you make the party the less influence you have, therefore it becomes harder to reach your goals. just my opinion

Would I have supported Castle if he won the primary - sure.  Would I be happy with him being there - no.  We are trying to handicap the leadership in the party - our party shouldn't be led by moderates.  Moderates should be part of it, absolutely and even contribute, but they shouldn't lead our party as they have for so long and they certainly do not lead in the democratic party.  The democrats know this and isn't it funny that you don't see anyone debating O'Donnell about the issues?  Instead they call her a bitch, a slut, a hoar, a liar, a thief and an empty suit.  If moderates are leading our party when we get the chance to repeal Obamacare (and we will get one and only one opportunity in the future to do it, which will not come when some dumb congressman simply puts a resolution up) or stop cap n trade, we will surely fail with them in charge.  
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #1936 on: September 14, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »

O'Donnell is saying she doesn't need the NRSC's money or support to win the GE...

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1937 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »

NYC must finally be coming in.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1938 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »

Castle really doesn't have much to lose by endorsing Coons, it's not like the guy will ever hold office again.

He could pull a Chafee if he were a bit younger.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1939 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:56 PM »

If you can admit that PPP nailed this one, why can't you admit that O'Donnell is going to be defeated in November? It would take a literal miracle for her to turn those Favorable numbers around.
Get back to me with what the polls look like in mid to late October.

I agree that Coons would win today, but all I'm saying is we can't get complacent about this one. The polls have changed really fast this year - usually in favor of tea party nutters.

Beet's 1st law of campaigns: When the numbers say A and the energy says B, A will move towards B.

All I'm saying is that Coons needs some actual energy behind him and not just 'oh, he's a shoo-in, let's laugh it up' to get the win that admittedly he probably can get.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1940 on: September 14, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »

I agree that Coons Casey would win today, but all I'm saying is we can't get complacent about this one. The polls have changed really fast this year - usually in favor of tea party nutters the glorious Rick Santorum king of last minute comebacks.

Beet's 1st law of campaigns: When the numbers say A and the energy says B, A will move towards B.

All I'm saying is that Coons Casey needs some actual energy behind him and not just 'oh, he's a shoo-in, let's laugh it up' to get the win that admittedly he probably can get.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1941 on: September 14, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »

Vincent Gray now ahead in D.C. 59-39 with 5% in
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1942 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:03 PM »

Who's throwing the temper tantrum now?  ajc, you are exactly the problem in our party.  We can't change anything that they are doing with your views.  Yet, with every weasely defection like yours (like Crist, like Specter, soon Murkowski and soon Castle) we gain new people who were once democrats realizing that we are for what they stand for.  Do you see democrats switching parties because their candidate didn't win?  No, they don't and if you want to know why, it's because even though they have petty rivalries, they are always united on their end goals.  Conservatives are not united on our end goals and we need to be.  Those goals must be different goals from the democratic party.  We have to flush out people like Castle and Crist and Murkowski in order to do that.  All throughout the Bush years we had democrats and republicans joining together in an unholy union to pass spending programs and invasions of privacy.  We had democrats and republicans joining together to increase the power of the executive and weaken the power of the people.  That time is over.

Just tell me where does the "I'm more conservative" idea stop?
Ultimately how are are you willing to go to have this "conservative" purity that you want?

We don't have to be pure, but there are things going on in this country right now that we must change if the country is to survive.  This is a year to stand on principle and set a line in the sand that people must cross.  If the democrats win on their ideas then they're going to win, and we all lose.  If the democrats win because we allowed a moderate republican leadership to lead us on the slow path to decline (a moderate republican leadership that even in times of party control joins with democrats), then they still win and we all lose - and that's a damn shame because we could have done something about it like we are now.

So would you be happy with Castle in the senate?
If not, explain?

Because he isn't conservative enough?  
the smaller you make the party the less influence you have, therefore it becomes harder to reach your goals. just my opinion

Would I have supported Castle if he won the primary - sure.  Would I be happy with him being there - no.  We are trying to handicap the leadership in the party - our party shouldn't be led by moderates.  Moderates should be part of it, absolutely and even contribute, but they shouldn't lead our party as they have for so long and they certainly do not lead in the democratic party.  The democrats know this and isn't it funny that you don't see anyone debating O'Donnell about the issues?  Instead they call her a bitch, a slut, a hoar, a liar, a thief and an empty suit.  If moderates are leading our party when we get the chance to repeal Obamacare (and we will get one and only one opportunity in the future to do it, which will not come when some dumb congressman simply puts a resolution up) or stop cap n trade, we will surely fail with them in charge.  

Moderates haven't led the GOP since the 1970's. Roll Eyes
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1943 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:23 PM »

And anyway Beet it's not like Coons is going to shut down his campaign HQ tomorrow or lose all DSCC funding. On the other hand lack of NRSC support not only cuts down on the advertising budget but infrastructure for the whole GOTV thing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1944 on: September 14, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »

And anyway Beet it's not like Coons is going to shut down his campaign HQ tomorrow or lose all DSCC funding. On the other hand lack of NRSC support not only cuts down on the advertising budget but infrastructure for the whole GOTV thing.

Right, he's going to be the boring establishment white guy running against the underdog hot chick with the hope and change message. Real invincible - especially if his supporters sit and home and do nothing, assuming that legions of Eisenhower Republicans are going to come out to save the day at the last minute.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1945 on: September 14, 2010, 10:19:28 PM »

Penis voting does not exist. I think it was Al who made that observation.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1946 on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:58 PM »

I agree that Coons Casey would win today, but all I'm saying is we can't get complacent about this one. The polls have changed really fast this year - usually in favor of tea party nutters the glorious Rick Santorum king of last minute comebacks.

All I'm saying is that Coons Casey needs some actual energy behind him and not just 'oh, he's a shoo-in, let's laugh it up' to get the win that admittedly he probably can get.

Yeah, sure, laugh. Treat Coons as a shoo-in. Know who else did that? Massachusetts Democrats with Martha Coakley.

The arrogance of people like you will be what gets that crazy bitch elected. We'll see who's laughing then - I guarantee America won't.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1947 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »

...and Schneiderman takes the lead in NY-AG-D.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1948 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »

Concord is in, 10/10, and voted very narrowly for Ayotte. I'm not seeing her closing the gap, there is no big city left to suddenly dump a big margin of votes in her lap.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1949 on: September 14, 2010, 10:21:43 PM »

Yeah, sure, laugh. Treat Coons as a shoo-in. Know who else did that? Massachusetts Democrats with Martha Coakley.

The arrogance of people like you will be what gets that crazy bitch elected. We'll see who's laughing then - I guarantee America won't.

So you are officially predicting an O'Donnell victory?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies