2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:07:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 90
Author Topic: 2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)  (Read 181049 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »

PPP teases everyone with a tweet about their NH/DE polls:

"Looking like a better chance of an upset in Delaware than New Hampshire"

Good, Ayotte is much worthier of winning her primary than Castle is his.

Uh oh that means O'Donnell probably has momentum now.

I thought you wanted more Republican women candidates? Huh
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1451 on: September 11, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »

Yes, but not crazy ones like O'Donnell. She wouldn't even become a better candidate after the primary like Angle has. Her baggage is too devastating for her to be electable in a state like Delaware.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1452 on: September 11, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »

Yes, but not crazy ones like O'Donnell. She wouldn't even become a better candidate after the primary like Angle has. Her baggage is too devastating for her to be electable in a state like Delaware.

HAHAhAHAHAHA. Thanks, I needed a laugh.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1453 on: September 11, 2010, 06:23:56 PM »

As of right now, I would guess that Castle and Ayotte are both slight favorites to win their primaries, but not by much. Magellan Strategies showed Lamontagne with momentum two weeks ago, which seems to be a similar position to how Angle was two weeks before her primary. However, Ayotte hasn't made any major gaffes and is apparently doing well in the PPP poll (although Magellan did better than PPP in Kentucky, and PPP was off in Colorado). I would guess Ayotte wins by two points over Lamontagne, with Bender and Binnie in the high teens.

For Delaware, I initially compared Castle's ratings among conservatives to Murkowski's ratings among conservatives and concluded that he was safe (60-40 over O'Donnell). However, O'Donnell's campaigning may have lowered Castle's ratings, and the fact that Palin and DeMint are now getting involved probably means that they know something that we don't. Plus, PPP's hints probably show that Castle is only narrowly ahead of O'Donnell. Here, I would also put it at Castle 51-O'Donnell 49, although I have little confidence in either prediction. Both are complete tossups in my mind, which might be a relief for Democratic chances in the Senate (before the primaries, I put it at 63%, that's bound to go up in Delaware and New Hampshire if Lamontagne wins).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1454 on: September 11, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »

The NRA is to be expected - Castle is one of the most consistent opponents of gun rights in Congress.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1455 on: September 11, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »

The NRA is to be expected - Castle is one of the most consistent opponents of gun rights in Congress.

This. I'm more fine with the NRA endorsing O'Donnell than I am Palin. After all, the NRA's just supposed to fight for gun rights, not make their partisan endorsements based on who is the most electable. Palin and DeMint however, should know better. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1456 on: September 11, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »

Probably means Castle ahead by single digits or under 50%, with Ayotte being ahead by double-digits in the multi-candidate race.

IMO, Castle is the more likely to be upset by far, (I don't see how Ayotte loses - but NH voters are sometimes a bit strange, so hard to 100% call) but I need to recheck where the Republican registered voters are in Delaware.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1457 on: September 11, 2010, 09:12:08 PM »

This. I'm more fine with the NRA endorsing O'Donnell than I am Palin. After all, the NRA's just supposed to fight for gun rights, not make their partisan endorsements based on who is the most electable. Palin and DeMint however, should know better. 

Don't Palin and DeMint claim to support gun rights, be pro-life, and favor free markets? Why would they do endorse Castle, who is against all three?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1458 on: September 11, 2010, 09:17:39 PM »

Indeed.  Mike Castle votes with the Democrats on everything substantive except taxes and school choice, and even on those issues he's hardly a sure thing.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1459 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »

Indeed.  Mike Castle votes with the Democrats on everything substantive except taxes and school choice, and even on those issues he's hardly a sure thing.

So basically, Castle sucks. What took so long for the tea parties to unite and mobilize for his defeat?
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1460 on: September 11, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »

Don't Palin and DeMint claim to support gun rights, be pro-life, and favor free markets? Why would they do endorse Castle, who is against all three?

Because at this time, they should be pushing for what is best for the Republican Party and what is best for conservatives. They both know that Christine O'Donnell is unelectable in Delaware (I'd LOVE to be proven wrong on this by the way), and that the Democrats will be handed the Delaware seat on a silver platter if O'Donnell is to win the nomination. I know Castle isn't very conservative, but O'Donnell won't win, and if Castle makes the difference between a Republican controlled Senate and a Democratic controlled Senate, than Castle is better for conservatism, as a Republican controlled Senate will be much more conservative than a Democratic one. Both DeMint and Palin are Republicans who have praised the GOP in the past (don't ask me to find an exact quote, but I'm almost positive they have both lauded the virtues of the Republican Party), and should be working to advance GOP interests (and therefore conservative interests, at least in comparison to the Democrats).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1461 on: September 11, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »

BTW, Libby, I think you might be better served using your sig to promote Dave Westlake over neocon Ron Johnson.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1462 on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »

Also, I'm 95% positive both Palin and DeMint have stated that they want the Republicans to take over Congress this year. How the hell is nominating Christine O'Donnell going to accomplish that?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1463 on: September 11, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »

Also, I'm 95% positive both Palin and DeMint have stated that they want the Republicans to take over Congress this year. How the hell is nominating Christine O'Donnell going to accomplish that?

We are currently trying to figure that out.

BTW, Libby, I think you might be better served using your sig to promote Dave Westlake over neocon Ron Johnson.

Yep, HARRY REID FOR TWO MORE YEARS AS MAJORITY LEADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1464 on: September 11, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2010, 10:02:03 PM by Senator Libertas »

Because at this time, they should be pushing for what is best for the Republican Party and what is best for conservatives. They both know that Christine O'Donnell is unelectable in Delaware (I'd LOVE to be proven wrong on this by the way), and that the Democrats will be handed the Delaware seat on a silver platter if O'Donnell is to win the nomination. I know Castle isn't very conservative, but O'Donnell won't win, and if Castle makes the difference between a Republican controlled Senate and a Democratic controlled Senate, than Castle is better for conservatism, as a Republican controlled Senate will be much more conservative than a Democratic one. Both DeMint and Palin are Republicans who have praised the GOP in the past (don't ask me to find an exact quote, but I'm almost positive they have both lauded the virtues of the Republican Party), and should be working to advance GOP interests (and therefore conservative interests, at least in comparison to the Democrats).

And if there is a conflict between conservative interests and partisan interests?

That race hasn't really gotten much attention and I haven't been following it. I only really find out about these things on here.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1465 on: September 11, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »

And if there is a conflict between conservative interests and partisan interests?

Then pick the best way to achieve both, which, if you ask me, is to get as many Republican seats in both houses of Congress as much as we can so that we can stop Obama's push for big government, and plant the seeds of conservative reform. You don't honestly believe that keeping Democratic majorities in Congress will be at all beneficial for conservative interests, do you?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1466 on: September 11, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »

Yep, HARRY REID FOR TWO MORE YEARS AS MAJORITY LEADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Johnson wins, I'm supporting Feingold, as the only senator to vote against the PATRIOT Act (Johnson is for it).
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1467 on: September 11, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »

I can explain it easily. They have a niche and that is the GOP abandoned their principles for electability and lost, and too an extent that is true. But once you make a fuss over it to rally the base, it is tough to redirect the sheep based on electability in cases like this. They might just turn on DeMint and Palin, you know.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1468 on: September 11, 2010, 10:21:42 PM »

Then pick the best way to achieve both, which, if you ask me, is to get as many Republican seats in both houses of Congress as much as we can so that we can stop Obama's push for big government, and plant the seeds of conservative reform. You don't honestly believe that keeping Democratic majorities in Congress will be at all beneficial for conservative interests, do you?

Could certainly be better than having a "big tent" GOP majority like we had until 2006: spending recklessly, adding trillions to the national debt, wrecking the economy, expanding government. Essentially doing all the same things the Democrats do until the people inevitably decide to vote the real Democrats back in.

Really it's best not just from an ideological standpoint, but also for the future of the Republican Party, to get rid of the sort of big government "moderates" who wrecked their party's credibility during the Bush years in the first place.

Nothing positive would get accomplished in a Senate filled with people like Castle, Murkowski, Grayson, Snowe, Collins, etc.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1469 on: September 11, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »

Could certainly be better than having a "big tent" GOP majority like we had until 2006: spending recklessly, adding trillions to the national debt, wrecking the economy, expanding government. Essentially doing all the same things the Democrats do until the people inevitably decide to vote the real Democrats back in.

Really it's best not just from an ideological standpoint, but also for the future of the Republican Party, to get rid of the sort of big government "moderates" who wrecked their party's credibility during the Bush years in the first place.

Nothing positive would get accomplished in a Senate filled with people like Castle, Murkowski, Grayson, Snowe, Collins, etc.

OK, but the Democrats are "spending recklessly, adding trillions to the national debt, wrecking the economy, expanding government" much more so than the Republicans did during the Bush administration. Plus, keep in mind that if the Republicans take over Congress, they will do more to limit government if it means going up against Obama. When the Republicans take over the White House, you might have a point, but the Republicans will push for more limited government out of partisanship.

Also, if the GOP was successful in getting rid of the "big government moderates, don't you think that might push voters away?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1470 on: September 11, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »

Castle, Grayson, Snowe and Collins have nothing to do with what destroyed the GOP majority. The majority was lost because of situation in iraq (Not the fact we were in Iraq) and incompetetance by Republicans of all the ideological strands. Punishing all moderates for the stupidity of Republicans all across the spectrum is counter-productive and dangerous?

Who uses only one criteria, Libertas? You do.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1471 on: September 11, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »

Castle, Grayson, Snowe and Collins have nothing to do with what destroyed the GOP majority. The majority was lost because of situation in iraq (Not the fact we were in Iraq) and incompetetance by Republicans of all the ideological strands. Punishing all moderates for the stupidity of Republicans all across the spectrum is counter-productive and dangerous?

Also I think voter fatigue had something to do with it. The GOP had been in control of Congress for 12 years. It doesn't surprise me voters wanted a change after that time.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1472 on: September 11, 2010, 10:43:12 PM »

OK, but the Democrats are "spending recklessly, adding trillions to the national debt, wrecking the economy, expanding government" much more so than the Republicans did during the Bush administration.

I don't know about that; I see the current regime as more of a continuation of the last one.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd rather see Obama defeated in 2012 than see a bunch of moderate losers take over Congress in 2010.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1473 on: September 11, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »

Also I think voter fatigue had something to do with it. The GOP had been in control of Congress for 12 years. It doesn't surprise me voters wanted a change after that time.

I don't think so. The Democrats had the House for 40 years. People nead a reason to vote people out of office. A war going badly, corruption, and anger of certain ideas pushed for the majority account for about 99% of the reason for the change in controll in 2006.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1474 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »

Sounds like you're still in the same fantasyland the rest of the GOP was stuck in in both 2006 and 2008.

Sorry, but Americans don't want to just turn back the clock to those glorious Bush years when big government Republicans ran the show. And no, Americans didn't vote out the Republicans because they wanted Congress to assault Iraq even more aggressively, despite the claims of McCain & Co with regard to their heroic "surge".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, I use multiple criteria, as I implicitly indicated in the thread you started asking that very question.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies