2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:30:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 90
Author Topic: 2010 Primaries Thread (It's all over now, baby blue)  (Read 181014 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »

Miller opposes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and presumably the PATRIOT act, which is more than enough to transport him out of the realm of "generic Republican" in my book.  Meanwhile Murkowski represents the absolute worst of neoconism and fiscal flagrancy, both of which must be totally purged, discredited, and destroyed as a force in the Republican Party.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1401 on: August 31, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »

Miller opposes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and presumably the PATRIOT act, which is more than enough to transport him out of the realm of "generic Republican" in my book.  Meanwhile Murkowski represents the absolute worst of neoconism and fiscal flagrancy, both of which must be totally purged, discredited, and destroyed as a force in the Republican Party.

Miller wants to just get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, lock, stock and barrel, right now?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1402 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »

According to Politico, Murkowski will hold press conference in the next few minutes (6PM Alaska/10PM Eastern).

Rumor is she will concede.  We'll see.

Is my impression right, that what sank Murk was not so much the size of the swing HD by HD from what went before vis a vis the this absentee count, but the turnout differentials, with areas Miller is relatively strong in, having a much higher absentee turnout?  If so, that is relatively unusual, that late ballot turnout differentials were the key variable.

Yes - but it's not that unusual for Alaska.  Military areas and those without reasonable early voting (Southeast outside Juneau, Kenai, to a lesser exent, the bush) tend to be overrepresented in the absentee count.  The Anchorage absentee count as a percentage of election day vote was really, really low - and that plus reportedly not doing well enough in the Southeast absentee/questioned votes seems to be what killed her (though everything's just a guess until we get actual HD-level numbers).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1403 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »

Miller wants to just get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, lock, stock and barrel, right now?

Here's what he says:

http://www.ktva.com/oldlocal/ci_15367911?source=rss

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He also suggests an across-the-board spending cut, including to defense.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1404 on: August 31, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »

CNN says she's gonna concede.  I'm not surprised.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1405 on: August 31, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »

On now...  And Murkowski concedes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1406 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »

The goal of transforming Afghanistan into some sort of civil society with some sort of democratic norms, was abandoned some time ago, and that abandonment was not only sensible, but dictated by the course of events. The mission now is to create reasonable odds, that as we draw down over time, Afghanistan will have created some sort of structure that denies its real estate to terrorists who whose job one is to export their "product." In addition, underwriting the venture without some conditions, is not the way to get those in power to focus, on how they can become more self sufficient. It is a very different place from Iraq, and cannot be analogized. That is how I see it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1407 on: August 31, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »

Is she going to go nutter, and run as a write in?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1408 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »

Doesn't sound like it.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1409 on: August 31, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »

And so it ends. Let the irony be known: Frank got taken down by Palin, Lisa got taken down by Palin's endorsee.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1410 on: August 31, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »

Doesn't sound like it.

THis would be a victory for Sarah Palin who endorsed Miller, right?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1411 on: August 31, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »

Doesn't sound like it.

Good. I would have been amazed if that happened, or the Libertarian chit, chat, even if they had decided to take her. This way, she might have some future in politics.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1412 on: August 31, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »

Not too surprising but she didn't endorse Miller.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1413 on: August 31, 2010, 09:39:43 PM »

There's plenty of time for her to do that later.  She conceded "for the good of the State of Alaska."  I don't think that's because she wants McAdams to win.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1414 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »

There's plenty of time for her to do that later.  She conceded "for the good of the State of Alaska."  I don't think that's because she wants McAdams to win.

Oh I don't think she'll endorse McAdams by any means. But I would be pretty surprised to see her appearing together with Joe Miller or praising him in any way any time in the next two months. A press release saying "we need to elect a Republican" is probably the most she's going to do.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1415 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2010, 09:50:10 PM by cinyc »

There was just another dump of 1,095 votes.  Miller won them 57-43.  That puts Murkowski's net gain today at 38 votes after 11,960 were counted.

It's pretty easy to see why Murkowski conceded.

Edit: Transposed another digit.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1416 on: August 31, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »

Could someone remind me again why the Republicans have their own primary but the Democrats are bunched in with the Libertarians and the AIP?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1417 on: August 31, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2010, 09:58:09 PM by The Demon's Façade »

I'm really, really hoping that Miller pulls through.  This is IMO the second most important Senatorial primary this year for the future of our country, after Kentucky GOP.

Why do you care if a generic Republican wins?

Miller isn't a generic Republican.

Yes he is, but anyways she shouldn't concede yet when there are spoiled ballots to count still. If she does, she better do everything she can to ruin Miller's chances of winning. That might be endorsing McAdams or running a write-in campaign, but if this country is to have a future, the Tea Party needs to be destroyed.

I can just slightly understand Sink, but this is just ridiculous. Miller is the type of Tea Partyier you would encourage. You can't "Suppress" a movement like the Tea Party. You try they will consume you. The best way is to tame and incorporate them. That means accepting Lee and Miller into the party. If you can't accept them, then there will be no ground to argue that Hatch, Snowe, Collins, Lugar or Castle belong either. Big tent cuts both ways.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1418 on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:54 PM »

Maybe Murkowski will run for the Senate in 2014.  Or perhaps for Young's house seat if he retires in 2012.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1419 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:04 PM »

I'm really, really hoping that Miller pulls through.  This is IMO the second most important Senatorial primary this year for the future of our country, after Kentucky GOP.

Yes he is, but anyways she shouldn't concede yet when there are spoiled ballots to count still. If she does, she better do everything she can to ruin Miller's chances of winning. That might be endorsing McAdams or running a write-in campaign, but if this country is to have a future, the Tea Party needs to be destroyed.

I can just slightly understand Sink, but this is just ridiculous. Miller is the type of Tea Partyier you would encourage. You can't "Suppress" a movement like the Tea Party. You try they will consume you. The best way is to tame and incorporate them. That means accepting Lee and Miller into the party. If you can't accept them, then there will be no ground to argue that Hatch, Snowe, Collins, Lugar or Castle belong either. Big tent cuts both ways.

My advice: don't bother reasoning with Redco. His logic makes no sense whatsoever.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1420 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »

Could someone remind me again why the Republicans have their own primary but the Democrats are bunched in with the Libertarians and the AIP?

Because those parties agreed to hold primaries on a combined ballot and exclude Republicans from voting that ballot.  Republicans did not (and their primaries are closed to all but Republicans and those not enrolled in a party).  I guess it saves the state the cost of printing and stocking minor party absentees and other paper ballots.  I don't think it's winner takes all - the winner of each party's contest in each race  goes on the ballot in November.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1421 on: August 31, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »

Well apparently the Hill thinks the Libertarians might reconsider their decision which would be great for this country if Murkowski wwas their candidate.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/116705-libertarian-option-still-alive-for-murkowski
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1422 on: August 31, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2010, 11:00:56 PM by redcommander »

My advice: don't bother reasoning with Redco. His logic makes no sense whatsoever.

It won't sound illogical when the Republicans end up blowing their chances of winning back congress this fall because of the small group of billionaires and special interest groups that they are encouraging to fund the tea party. BTW if you are such a big fan of Miller, why aren't you singing the praises of O'Donnell who is just as much wacky and gaffey? Heck she even has more baggage than him. Lying about how many counties she won in 08 against Biden and claiming she didn't try to run as a third partier when she did.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1423 on: August 31, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »

It won't sound illogical when the Republicans end up blowing their chances of winning back congress this fall because of the small group of billionaires and special interest groups that they are encouraging to fund the tea party. BTW if you are such a big fan of Miller, why aren't you singing the praises of O'Donnell who is just as much wacky and gaffey?

Sorry, when did we bring Sharron Angle into this? Miller is actually a respectable man - one of maybe two or three Tea Partiers this cycle who I can say that about. He will be a better senator than Murkowski ever was in the course of six years. She had that seat handed to her by her father and proceeded to use it to become one of the icons of everything terrible about the Republican Party - neoconservatism, whoring out to big oil, political selfishness, etc. The Murkowski family is a plague on Alaska and the Senate, and it's well done that their influence over the state is dead forever.

One candidate lost, Red. It's politics. sh**t happens.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1424 on: August 31, 2010, 11:10:38 PM »

It won't sound illogical when the Republicans end up blowing their chances of winning back congress this fall because of the small group of billionaires and special interest groups that they are encouraging to fund the tea party. BTW if you are such a big fan of Miller, why aren't you singing the praises of O'Donnell who is just as much wacky and gaffey?

Sorry, when did we bring Sharron Angle into this? Miller is actually a respectable man - one of maybe two or three Tea Partiers this cycle who I can say that about. He will be a better senator than Murkowski ever was in the course of six years. She had that seat handed to her by her father and proceeded to use it to become one of the icons of everything terrible about the Republican Party - neoconservatism, whoring out to big oil, political selfishness, etc. The Murkowski family is a plague on Alaska and the Senate, and it's well done that their influence over the state is dead forever.

One candidate lost, Red. It's politics. sh**t happens.

Right so America loses a valuable voice in the senate that has actually worked to solve important issues such as giving health care coverage to uninsured children and putting us on a path to energy independence, and will likely be replaced by a hyper partisan Palin clone that will be unwilling to get anything done the last two years of Obama's term. Sorry sounds like the country will be in a worse off place unless Murkowski endorses McAdams, runs a write-in, or meets with the Libertarians and agrees to make concessions to them if she is their nominee. This isn't turning out to be another 1994. In 1994 Moderates, Neo-Cons, Paleo-Cons, and Libertarian Conservatives actually worked together to accomplish a common goal of ousting Democratic control of congress. The Republicans are plagued by infighting, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, New York, etc., that is severely compromising their chances this fall.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies