FY 2015 Budget (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 02:44:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FY 2015 Budget (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: FY 2015 Budget (Passed)  (Read 10964 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »

Motion to table.

At this juncture we probably won't have a GM until the next President is inaugurated, so we might as well just sit tight and wait. Plus our Lameduck administration doesn't seem to believe in compromising over much of anything, so I would prefer we cease negotiations with a President more committed to making sure that his base doesn't become the latest in the series of groups that have become utterly disappointed with his ineffective, shortsighted administration.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »

Wasn't Barnes serving as Deputy GM? Couldn't he offer some numbers?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »

I second TNF's motion.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2015, 02:10:31 PM »

Thank God I didn't have to deal with creating a budget during my two terms. I can't imagine what a train wreck that would have been juggling all of you in my arms Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »

A motion to table? I would sincerely ask the Senate to reject such a motion, the least thing we need is to delay this for an unknown number of weeks because of what the Senator believes is a lack of compromise. And I resent that idea, because I have tried my best to conciliate my own views with the views of the Senate, and indeed I have already asked what would be acceptable for a majority of them in certain issues.

I have sent a message to Barnes given that he is still Deputy GM regarding the numbers and if there was a chance of him releasing them. I am willing to pass a budget and concede the fact that tax reform might not be possible given the limited time we have, but passing one without knowing what the revenue is would be, in my opinion, too irresponsible.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2015, 04:49:12 PM by Mideast Senator windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Windjammer
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »

I was tired of not having any number at all. This is the situation where the numbers would be exactly the same than last year, but of course, that's probably not the case, but we needed to have an estimate.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »

Why not increasing taxes on marijuana and alcohol and put them at the same level than marijuana? We would get a lot of new revenues, and it would fairer. If marijuana is legalized, why should it be taxed more than alcohol and cigarettes?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2015, 07:39:10 AM »

I won't support increasing taxes on alcohol or marijuana. If taxes go up, they should go up on the wealthy and the wealthy alone.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »

I won't support increasing taxes on alcohol or marijuana. If taxes go up, they should go up on the wealthy and the wealthy alone.

Quick calculation: we'd need 3% more on the highest tax bracket to get in the remaining 20 billion (actually ~27 billions)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »

Is that an amendment windjammer?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2015, 11:49:27 AM »

No, just to help us Tongue.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2015, 01:33:12 PM »

Right, I have talked to Barnes and he does have some revenue numbers (although not all of them) and I have asked him to send. Once I have them I'll present them to the Senate, and I guess we'll decide from there, depending  on whether we have a GM nominee. I should note that one Atlasian has indeed showed interest in the the position, so there's hope!

I also fully support Windjammer on raising marijuana and alcohol taxes, and I believe it's a far better idea than to just raise taxes on the higest bracket without any concerns.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »

I am deeply disturbed that some of considering just abandoning this for a whole month of "ceasing to work with the President" on this matter. Though many have made mistakes in this process, we ultimately would not be in this situation had the work been done last summer.

I am convinced that we can surely find something agreeable enough to pass.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2015, 12:15:33 AM »

I won't support tabling
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »

No, I will also not support tabling this. I will refrain from any further comments here until we get those numbers from Barnes Lumine was speaking of.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2015, 11:40:08 PM by President LumineVonReuental »

Right, I've spoken to Barnes, and this what we have:

Cynic started work on the Income and Corporate taxes, and while he gave an initial estimate the truth is that said numbers are somewhat different that the Averroes Budget (Edit: I changed the phrasing here, it didn't sound good):

There also other estimates that were unable to be finished, although I would like to note that  since the Health Care Payroll Tax was raised again to 8% then we should get a very similar number than the 2014 one ($853.4 B).

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2015, 11:15:06 PM »

If I may address the Senate briefly:

I was collaborating with Cynic to create the budget numbers when the recent events transpired.  I can confirm that the numbers presented by the President are the numbers that I forwarded to him following Cynic's resignation. 

Since I am not the Game Moderator, it would be inappropriate for me to develop these numbers any further on my own.  I will, of course, be happy to assist Kalwejt once he is confirmed as GM, and I will also offer assistance to the Senate if you deem it necessary.

I thank you for your attention.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2015, 11:10:29 AM »

So with the financial transaction tax, we now have 50 Billion more? Cheesy

So I guess we're not in deficit?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »

So with the financial transaction tax, we now have 50 Billion more? Cheesy

So I guess we're not in deficit?

Well, given that the earlier work was based on reducing spending as much as possible (or at least as much as the Senate and the Administration could support), and since we have raised some other taxes (Gas, Marijuana, Tobbaco and Alcohol) then that assumption is plausible.

If I may address the Senate briefly:

I was collaborating with Cynic to create the budget numbers when the recent events transpired.  I can confirm that the numbers presented by the President are the numbers that I forwarded to him following Cynic's resignation. 

Since I am not the Game Moderator, it would be inappropriate for me to develop these numbers any further on my own.  I will, of course, be happy to assist Kalwejt once he is confirmed as GM, and I will also offer assistance to the Senate if you deem it necessary.

I thank you for your attention.

Thanks for the assistance, Barnes! If I may ask, could you provide us with your opinion on Cynic's numbers regarding the Health Care Payroll Tax, the Gas/Tobbaco/Alcohol taxes and the Oil Spill Protection?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2015, 03:48:51 PM »

Well, thank you Barnes, Cynic and Lumine for these predictions. If you could as well give an estimation about the current deficit/surplus, that would be great too Smiley.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »

Are citizens allowed to post with their concerns?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »

Are citizens allowed to post with their concerns?
Yes Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2015, 05:11:02 PM »

While we mull over the revenue numbers, I would like to propose an amendment. First of all, this amendment recognizes the drastic and pressing need to immediately cut spending, as the administration continues to argue for. Second, this amendment recognizes that the Justice Department is currently grossly over-funded, an inevitable conclusion based on the parade of cases it continues to waste the courts' time with (e.g. prosecuting someone for a crime for which that person has already been pardoned). Therefore, I propose that the administration of justice section be amended as follows:

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »

From my point of view that amendment is unfriendly. It's pretty clear the goal there is less focused on actual spending reduction and more focused on a political attack on the Justice Department. These cuts, especially the gutting of Federal Law Enforcement, are bound to hit the Federal Government very hard when to comes to reacting and preventing critical situations.  

Furthermore, how can we actually be sure that the Justice Department is "grossly over-funded"?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies