Obama will be assassinated if he wins.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:16:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama will be assassinated if he wins.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama will be assassinated if he wins.  (Read 1902 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thats a bit unsettling...I guess. :/

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:28:42 PM »

Well that's a take I suppose you can try: "Elect Hillary over Obama, at least she won't be assassinated!"
Thereisnospoon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:29:25 PM »

Well that's a take I suppose you can try: "Elect Hillary over Obama, at least she won't be assassinated!"

Heh. Reminds me of those old Dan Quayle jokes.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »

I think every President has the danger of being killed while in office, but lately I think you'd have to do something incredibly serious to piss someone off that much to try and kill them. We havnt had an assassination attempt on a sitting President [on US Soil] since Clinton.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2008, 07:38:22 PM by GIVE KING $5! »

The change candidate usually dies so Mr. Aggressive Establishment Politico Boss can try to keep the status quo.  See Robert Kennedy and Hubert Humphrey, John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, William McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt...uh... that's pretty much it.

All Obama needs to do to avoid this is pick a runningmate who the establishment doesn't like much either.  If he goes for Hillary or Joe Biden or somebody like that, the bullet would be through him before he could finish the victory speech at the convention.

George McGovern would be dead right now if 1972 was a close election that people cared about.  The man wouldn't even let Richard Daley be a superdelegate.  That's how disgustingly uncorrupt he was.

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »

All the presidents who have been assissnated have had odd circumstances currounding them that made them extremely vulnerable:

Abraham Lincoln : Civil War, Killed by well known actor and southern sympathizer John Wilkes Booth.

James A. Garfield : Killed by Lunatic who stalked the President and repeatedly implied he should be US Ambassador to Paris and was frequently ignored.

William McKinley : Killed by anarchist [and influenced by Emma Goldman] Leon Czolgosz.

John F. Kennedy : Killed by sharpshooter from a window of the Texas Book Depository in Dallas. Evidence points to Lee Harvey Oswald as culprit but before his trial he was killed by nightclub owner Jack Ruby. Speculation of Government Involvement and Conspiracy Theories make it almost unkown as to who and why anyone would want to kill JFK.

Race could certainly be a factor, but I honestly doubt some White Racial Extremist would show up at one of Obama's events and kill him. Though shown before stranger cases have happened.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »

Her job is coming up with intriguing works of fiction. Like this. It might make a great novel.

I mean, honestly, what does anyone care what a Nobel Prize winner thinks about something that isn't even her field?
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »

I've had a bad feeling about something like this ever since Obama won Iowa.  He'd make an awesome president but I'm sure some racist asshole would attempt to kill him because of his skin color. 
gmo
Rookie
United States
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »

I mean, honestly, what does anyone care what a Nobel Prize winner thinks about something that isn't even her field?
But she is 88!  And British!

Really though, this has been brought up millions of times (literally I think getting down to individuals on messageboards and normal discussion), but this is the first time I have seen it as news because it is from someone with some sort of status.  There is not meat on this bone.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »

Well if Doris Lessing says it...

Living overseas, when I speak to people about this race, pretty much no-one believes it's possible for America to elect a black man. Most of that's really just down to anti-American snobbery, so I hope you guys prove them wrong.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »

If he assasinated, may he be martyred as the next Lincoln....and show that his opposition (who probably would have assasinated him) as nothing but murderous thugs.
Thereisnospoon
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

It's a fear, but every presidential candidate has some loony somewhere in this country eying to gun them down over arbitrary or imaginary reasons. One of the things about Obama that brings this all to mind is his campaign message (young optimist seeking to bring out the best in the newest generation). It's a lot like JFK, though I think the RFK situation is far more comparable to that of Obama's.

Needless to say, let's pray that such a tragedy does not befall any of these candidates, regardless of whether or not we agree with them.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »

It's a fear, but every presidential candidate has some loony somewhere in this country eying to gun them down over arbitrary or imaginary reasons. One of the things about Obama that brings this all to mind is his campaign message (young optimist seeking to bring out the best in the newest generation). It's a lot like JFK, though I think the RFK situation is far more comparable to that of Obama's.

Needless to say, let's pray that such a tragedy does not befall any of these candidates, regardless of whether or not we agree with them.

Good thing he didnt hold a rally at the Ambassador Hotel last tuesday then....:X
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidential_assassination_attempts

Pretty much every President has had someone try, however half-heartedly, to kill them. It's a job hazard.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »

Well, hopefully he picks an LBJ or a TR for vice president, instead of a Johnson or an Arthur.

I don't think that, in this day and age of increased secret service protection (especially post-9/11), there's very much to fear.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »

Anybody seen "Bob Roberts"?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »

Well, hopefully he picks an LBJ or a TR for vice president, instead of a Johnson or an Arthur.

I don't think that, in this day and age of increased secret service protection (especially post-9/11), there's very much to fear.

Arthur gets a serious short-shrift. He was a pretty good President.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »

Arthur gets a serious short-shrift. He was a pretty good President.

Alot of people thought Arthur's people were behind the Assassination though. I honestly dont think he had anything to do with it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 09:40:40 PM »

What's crazy is that anyone is listening to Doris Lessing.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »

Nah, consider the source.  It's from Sweden.  You know, in places like that they settle their differences at the point of a gun.  Think:  Anna Lindh vis-a-vis the european currency unit.  Well, here in the Western Hemisphere we have our problems, but we generally resort to bullets only after arm wrestling and Australian Biscuits contests are inconclusive.  Anyway, none of that matter, as the article is a thinly veiled attempt to push voters.  It's like push-polling without the polling.  Jeezus, Hillary's camp keeps getting sleazier and sleazier.  But my guess is that Hillary probably didn't order this piece of work.  She's sleazy, but I don't think she authorized the floating of most of these really sordid analyses, such as Obama's misspent youth or this assassination scenario.

Hey, check this out:  Necronegrocratia.  That's the new word I'm coining for "Rule by the fiat of a dead black guy."  eh?  like that, do ya?  I thought you would.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 05:56:05 AM »

What's crazy is that anyone is listening to Doris Lessing.

Ever read any of her books?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 06:25:20 AM »

Any president runs the risk of being assassinated... i dont think it takes a writer (however celebrated) to tell anyone that, and it sure as hell doesnt take a writer to say "dont vote for them, coz america is so racist and reactionary that they'll be shot because their black"... I'm sure their are plenty of folks who "like" to cause Bush or Clinton or McCain harm, as i say it's par of the course with being a prominent personality.       
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 07:54:43 AM »

Hah, funny that this would come from Sweden. I have to read that interview.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies