Arguements defending Iraqi ocupation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 01:40:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Arguements defending Iraqi ocupation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arguements defending Iraqi ocupation  (Read 2126 times)
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:25:02 PM »

arguements and links?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 02:19:33 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2006, 02:49:24 PM by jmfcst »

Our bases in Iraq provide a strategic position from which to strike at Iran and Syria...which is the main reason why I supported the invasion of Iraq in the first place.  I thought Bush was going to leap frog from Iraq into Iran, not settle into Iraq to attempt to make it civilized.

Iraq is a lost cause.  Bush needs to leave the policing of Iraq to the Iraqis and start using Iraq as a staging area.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:43:55 PM »

Our bases in Iraqi provide a strategic position from which to strike at Iran and Syria...which is the main reason why I supported the invasion of Iraq in the first place.  I thought Bush was going to leap frog from Iraq into Iran, not settle into Iraq to attempt to make it civilized.

Iraq is a lost cause.  Bush needs to leave the policing of Iraq to the Iraqis and start using Iraq as a staging area.

I think he was looking for sane arguments.

For example, there's the fact that we removed a brutal dictatorship that was hostile to US interests.  The fact that the Iraqis don't seem to be able to behave in a civilized manner with each other is another issue.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:49:09 PM »

Our bases in Iraq provide a strategic position from which to strike at Iran and Syria...which is the main reason why I supported the invasion of Iraq in the first place.  I thought Bush was going to leap frog from Iraq into Iran, not settle into Iraq to attempt to make it civilized.

I think he was looking for sane arguments.

In light of Iran's intentions, it is very sane to argue for an all-out strike against Iran and Syria. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 07:51:58 PM »

The fact that it is now the lesser of all available evils; given that Iraq's biggest political blocs {not to mention the guerilla groups} are all sectarian (and the biggest has some very pro-Iran elements including Iraqi Hezbollah) any sort of reduced security would only increase the Anarchy and bloodshed.

Though anyone who thinks Iraq is not in Civil war right now really needs to get out of their reality bubble. (same for anyone who wants America to invade Iran - the Iraqi invasions greatest benificator is so far been Iran.)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 09:31:34 PM »

The fact that it is now the lesser of all available evils; given that Iraq's biggest political blocs {not to mention the guerilla groups} are all sectarian (and the biggest has some very pro-Iran elements including Iraqi Hezbollah) any sort of reduced security would only increase the Anarchy and bloodshed.

Though anyone who thinks Iraq is not in Civil war right now really needs to get out of their reality bubble. (same for anyone who wants America to invade Iran - the Iraqi invasions greatest benificator is so far been Iran.)

Bingo. The current choices are as follows:

A. Trade 1,000 soldiers and $100 billion each year in exchange for preventing an all-out Middle East war.

B. Pull out and cause the complete breakdown of order in Iraq, and chance causing an all-out Middle East war.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 09:33:41 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2006, 09:36:59 PM by thefactor »

Bingo. The current choices are as follows:

A. Trade 1,000 soldiers and $100 billion each year in exchange for preventing an all-out Middle East war.

B. Pull out and cause the complete breakdown of order in Iraq, and chance causing an all-out Middle East war.

^ ^ ^ ^

Pretty much.

As with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict however, as time goes on hope springs eternal, and with the right political will and a sufficient amount of armed control I really think some kind of peace agreement can be worked out between the sectional factions. The problem is the political will is very weak and it will cost a lot of money to disarm those independent militias which cannot be persuaded to join a political process.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 09:18:35 AM »

For a start, it's no longer an occupation. We are there with a UN mandate, at the invitation of a legitimately elected Iraqi government.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 08:25:20 AM »

We need to stay there to defend the oil. Smiley
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 09:13:46 AM »

For a start, it's no longer an occupation. We are there with a UN mandate, at the invitation of a legitimately elected Iraqi government.

True, it's not an occupation if the elected government asks us to be there.  Technically, it's no more an occupation than our troop presence in Germany is an occupation.  The Germans may hate us (though with their record, they're in NO position to pass judgment), but they started crying bloody murder when we talked about pulling some troops out and closing some bases -- much as they hate us, they still want our money.  Kind of like the rebellious teenager who still wants daddy to support him in lavish fashion.

As far as Iraq is concerned, Jake and KEmperor struck on very good points.  I have little to ad to what those two dudes said.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 12:01:05 AM »

How about we leave and let them figure it out.
If they peacefully resolve their differences fine.
If they kill each other off, we wait til the dust settles then move in and put up condos ... next to the oil wells.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 06:48:36 PM »

How about, for the Iraqi people? We have let tens of thousands of them be murdered and haven't done anything about it. Let's try to fix Iraq so we can at least look like war mongers who clean up their messes. Tongue
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »

See Jefferson's "Empire of Liberty" explanation for the LA Purchase.  That should be a good basis for Iraq.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies