Help: A book by a neocon about the movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:09:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Help: A book by a neocon about the movement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help: A book by a neocon about the movement  (Read 1035 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2012, 02:57:37 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

A former professor of mine is working on a project and needs a sourece about the neocon movement from a neocon's perspective.  I was thinking perhaps Courage & Consequence by Rove and Decision Points by Bush.  Any thoughts?

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention this in the OP: the project is trying to look at the neocon movement's ties to the religious right.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:13 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2012, 02:57:22 PM by Senator Scott »

Here are some good sources your professor might want to consider:
In My Time by Dick Cheney
Known and Unknown by Donald Rumsfeld
Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism by Sean Hannity
Probably some of the books listed here
etc., etc.

These only focus on the Bush Administration's embracement of neoconservatism, of course.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »

This link might help. One cannot write about neoconservatism, without writing about Irving "a liberal mugged by reality" Kristol (a far more arresting person and speaker than his son - I had the pleasure of listening to one of his lectures, and then mixing it up a bit with him afterwords about intelligent versus dumb uses of American power).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »

Lol. I have all of these books. Except the Cheney one.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »

Also, I forgot to mention this in the OP: the project is trying to look at the neocon movement's ties to the religious right.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »

Try The Overton Window by Glen Beck.  My grandfather gave it to me because "he thought I would appreciate it" Roll Eyes
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »

Are any of the people mentioned above other than Irving Kristol actually neoconservatives?  You should read Jonah Goldberg's series of columns on how the term "neoconservative" is no longer coherent:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/206921/state-confusion/jonah-goldberg

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/206955/neoconservative-invention/jonah-goldberg

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/206973/end-neoconservatism/jonah-goldberg

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »

Are any of the people mentioned above other than Irving Kristol actually neoconservatives?  You should read Jonah Goldberg's series of columns on how the term "neoconservative" is no longer coherent:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/206921/state-confusion/jonah-goldberg

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/206955/neoconservative-invention/jonah-goldberg

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/206973/end-neoconservatism/jonah-goldberg

That's what I was going to say. Most of those suggestions are not from neoconservatives.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 02:59:24 AM »

It depends on what you mean by religious right.  Neoconservatives have tended to be Jewish or Catholic, pro-immigrant and pro-civil rights, and so have traditionally been  less than comfortable with Protestant fundamentalists.  Major religious Catholic neoconservatives:  Richard John Neuhaus (former editor of First Things- RIP), Michael Novak, George Weigel, Bill Bennett.  Chuck Colson was one of the major figures bridging the gap between these Catholic neoconservatives and the Evangelical community.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 04:57:44 AM »

It depends on what you mean by religious right.  Neoconservatives have tended to be Jewish or Catholic, pro-immigrant and pro-civil rights, and so have traditionally been  less than comfortable with Protestant fundamentalists.  Major religious Catholic neoconservatives:  Richard John Neuhaus (former editor of First Things- RIP), Michael Novak, George Weigel, Bill Bennett.  Chuck Colson was one of the major figures bridging the gap between these Catholic neoconservatives and the Evangelical community.

Weren't many neoconservative originally Democrats, like Henry M. Jackson, but then they split with the party in the 70's when its dovish isolationist wing (George McGovern, Jimmy Carter) took over.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 06:59:40 AM »

Weren't many neoconservative originally Democrats, like Henry M. Jackson, but then they split with the party in the 70's when its dovish isolationist wing (George McGovern, Jimmy Carter) took over.

That's the "official" definition. In terms of the media it soon came to mean any conservative who supported the Iraq War pretty much. Or more specifically the Bush Administration.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »

Some of them were New Deal supporters who split in the 1960s over the Great Society and Civil Rights. See Norman Podhoretz, 1963, "My Negro Problem—and Ours."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »

Some of them were New Deal supporters who split in the 1960s over the Great Society and Civil Rights. See Norman Podhoretz, 1963, "My Negro Problem—and Ours."

That reminds me that a lot of Jewish Neocons were freaked out over affirmative action/quotas. Non merit based criteria that don't serve Jews very well may have been hovering in the background.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »

That's the "official" definition. In terms of the media people who don't know what they're talking about it soon came to mean any conservative who supported the Iraq War pretty much. Or more specifically the Bush Administration.

Fixed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies