Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:28:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 1168
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 907541 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: February 17, 2022, 12:24:10 AM »

Ukraine and the Russians have always shelled each other.

Like I said before, this is a nothingburger.

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #701 on: February 17, 2022, 01:15:03 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2022, 11:36:23 AM by BigSerg »

My pro-Russian sources have told me that today is important, lots of disturbing news. Don't sleep tonight

February 16-17: separatists and Ukrainian armed forces began clashes with banned weapons (155 mm shells) for more than 24 hours.

February 17: Separatist republics announce mass evacuations of children, women and the elderly and call on "all men to take up arms".

February 18: Evacuees began to arrive in the Russian region of Rostov and a car bomb exploded in front of the administrative buildings of the Donetsk republic.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #702 on: February 17, 2022, 01:21:58 AM »

Nobody cares about your sources BigSerg. Get a life. If Russia attacks, we all know you will be gleefully pleased with the resulting deaths, no need to re-emphasize.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #703 on: February 17, 2022, 01:48:03 AM »

My pro-Russian sources have told me that today is important, lots of disturbing news. Don't sleep tonight
Considering this is your POV, you mean Russia doesn’t invade?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #704 on: February 17, 2022, 02:07:24 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2022, 02:29:03 AM by Crumpets »

The top headline on RIA right now is "The LNR [Lukhansk separatists] reported a significant aggravation of the situation on the contact line." Meanwhile, IntelDoge on Twitter is reporting that people saying they live in Donetsk on Discord and Telegram are reporting the sounds of explosions.

Of course:

Now, I think it's extremely unlikely this means an invasion is starting or even imminent. I think what is probably happening is that the Kremlin knows the clock is ticking if it wants to do anything on a grand scale and they need to get their justification out of the way so they can say "go" whenever it best suits them if they so choose, whether that be tomorrow, a few days from now, or next week. Alternately, they can still de-escalate if they choose. It's just one more roadblock out of the way for a hypothetical major escalation.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #705 on: February 17, 2022, 02:25:09 AM »

The top headline on RIA right now is "The LNR reported a significant aggravation of the situation on the contact line." Meanwhile, IntelDoge on Twitter is reporting that people saying they live in Donetsk on Discord and Telegram are reporting the sounds of explosions.

Of course:

Now, I think it's extremely unlikely this means an invasion is starting or even imminent. I think what is probably happening is that the Kremlin knows the clock is ticking if it wants to do anything on a grand scale and they need to get their justification out of the way so they can say "go" whenever it best suits them if they so choose, whether that be tomorrow, a few days from now, or next week. Alternately, they can still de-escalate if they choose. It's just one more roadblock out of the way for a hypothetical major escalation.

Along similar lines:

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #706 on: February 17, 2022, 02:32:34 AM »

I'm presuming that the "disturbing news" will be that, according to Russian sources, Ukrainians have suddenly decided that since a large majority of the Russian military is camped out near their borders  desperately looking for an excuse for war, they would be kind neighbors and give them one?  I suppose there are people who would be dumb enough to believe that.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #707 on: February 17, 2022, 02:39:08 AM »

I'm presuming that the "disturbing news" will be that, according to Russian sources, Ukrainians have suddenly decided that since a large majority of the Russian military is camped out near their borders  desperately looking for an excuse for war, they would be kind neighbors and give them one?  I suppose there are people who would be dumb enough to believe that.

The news is worse than I expected, I have yet to see more, but... this looks very bad.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #708 on: February 17, 2022, 03:02:43 AM »

Considering this is your POV, you mean Russia doesn’t invade?
My guess it means disturbing news for us.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #709 on: February 17, 2022, 03:16:50 AM »

The news is worse than I expected, I have yet to see more, but... this looks very bad.
Are you being ambiguous in order to troll us, or because you aren't supposed to say too much? I'm assuming the latter.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #710 on: February 17, 2022, 03:24:30 AM »

Are you being ambiguous in order to troll us, or because you aren't supposed to say too much? I'm assuming the latter.

I can't confirm much of what I see, so I'm not saying much. But things have definitely escalated in an extreme way.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #711 on: February 17, 2022, 04:46:32 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2022, 05:05:49 AM by Vosem »

I'm presuming that the "disturbing news" will be that, according to Russian sources, Ukrainians have suddenly decided that since a large majority of the Russian military is camped out near their borders  desperately looking for an excuse for war, they would be kind neighbors and give them one?  I suppose there are people who would be dumb enough to believe that.

No prizes for guessing correctly.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #712 on: February 17, 2022, 05:10:36 AM »

I'm presuming that the "disturbing news" will be that, according to Russian sources, Ukrainians have suddenly decided that since a large majority of the Russian military is camped out near their borders  desperately looking for an excuse for war, they would be kind neighbors and give them one?  I suppose there are people who would be dumb enough to believe that.

What are the odds that this is a false flag... as in, Russians pretending to be Ukrainians or Ukrainians loyal to Russia / paid by Russia to do it to further Russia's interests?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #713 on: February 17, 2022, 06:09:29 AM »

What are the odds that this is a false flag... as in, Russians pretending to be Ukrainians or Ukrainians loyal to Russia / paid by Russia to do it to further Russia's interests?

Very suspicious, or let's say convenient for them, if Russia "suddenly" had a casus belli to invade after amassing so many of their troops at the Ukrainian border in the past weeks.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #714 on: February 17, 2022, 06:15:08 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2022, 07:23:32 AM by dead0man »

obviously no one is going to believe this story that doesn't want to, maybe this it is aimed  at Russians so they are less likely to consider stringing up Putin and the oligarchs if the war goes poorly?
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #715 on: February 17, 2022, 06:27:14 AM »

I hope thousands of Russian troops get killed so that Putin loses popularity.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #716 on: February 17, 2022, 08:06:12 AM »

2049 July 3rd NYT Front Page

1. Americans get ready for must needed rest on July 4th holiday
2. New York City mayoral race heats up
3. Top intelligence officials say that Russian invasion certain to take place within the week
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #717 on: February 17, 2022, 08:06:57 AM »

The shelling isn't good, but not extremely unusual. What's more worrying is the drumbeat about 'genocide' and Ukrainian provocation from Russia. Much more ratcheting up of media rhetoric than in previous weeks.

In other news, this is funny

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #718 on: February 17, 2022, 08:15:40 AM »

You in a DM with Vladimir Vladimirovich?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #719 on: February 17, 2022, 08:45:01 AM »

It's not unusual at all. Here for instance latest report form OSCE

https://www.osce.org/ukraine-smm/reports
https://www.osce.org/files/2022-02-16%20Daily%20Report_ENG.pdf

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #720 on: February 17, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #721 on: February 17, 2022, 08:54:39 AM »

Or, indeed, that it is almost totally made up.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #722 on: February 17, 2022, 09:09:56 AM »

Why are we supposed to believe that BigSerg would have “sources” (other than maybe Russian-sponsored news outlets)?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #723 on: February 17, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #724 on: February 17, 2022, 09:43:14 AM »

BigSerg has the same sources as Biden it seems:

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 1168