Texas GOP Senate Runoff (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:59:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas GOP Senate Runoff (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you  vote for?
David Dewhurst

Ted Cruz

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Texas GOP Senate Runoff  (Read 20579 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »

Dewhurst, because he's more electable, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Cruz won since I think he could win too (though not by as large a margin).
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »

Dewhurst lies closer to my politics, but Cruz is tempting as a younger rising star. Probably Dewhurst, but I won't cry a river when Cruz wins.
Of course, that's of Cruz does win.  Otherwise, you summarized my feelings exactly.  I worry that Cruz is too far-right even for Texas.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »

The conservative star, not the slimy moderate toad.
Half a loaf is better than no bread, my friend.  I'd rather have a slimy moderate toad who can win for the Republicans than a conservative who can't.  Dewhurst seems to be pretty conservative based on some of what I've heard.  Cruz and the Tea Partiers ate just trying to smear him as a RINO.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2012, 08:28:18 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I thought the Lt. Gov's office in Texas was pretty weak.  Perry is pretty unpopular now based on what I've heard, and Huckabee endorsed Dewhurst.  BTW: Newt Gingrich was a great debater too, but during the primaries, he was the candidate who polled the worst against Pres. Obama.  I don't want someone who can debate the Democrats; I want someone who can defeat them.  Dewhurst and Cruz are both leading in the general election polls that I've seen, but Dewhurst polls better.  Dewhurst is just more mainstream and can get more votes from outside the base, even in a state like Texas.  I'm not saying that Cruz would jeopardize the GOP's chances of holding the seat, just that a Dem pickup is more likely with him than with Dewhurst.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:43:24 AM »

Is the difference that great between the two's performances in the polls as to be more than just name recognition?

Applying a uniform standard across all these states is big mistake and I have said the same when the TP was going on about killing all the rinos. In some states, the establishment candidate is the best, but all my criteria are saying this isn't one of them.
I could not agree more!!!!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »

But the rest of the nation isn't ready for libertarian conservatives like Rand Paul.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:19 AM »

But the rest of the nation isn't ready for libertarian conservatives like Rand Paul.

There is no way a republican can lose in Texas, and the people are tired of guys who hang around lobbyists all the time.
I would agree with that, at least at this time, but Dewhurst would do much better in a general election nonetheless.  Cruz is a good candidate, maybe even better overall than Dewhurst, but his nomination would set a dangerous precedent for the GOP in other states (much like candidates like Bill Brady, Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle, and Ken Buck did two years ago) that aren't as conservative/Republican of nominating far-right, unelectable candidates and losing more and more elections because of it.  Bill Buckley always said to support the most conservative candidate who can win, and while Cruz may be that candidate, nominating him will encourage Republicans in other states to do the same with candidates who are too fat-right for the general electorate.  If we had heeded Buckley's advice in 2010, Harry Reid would not be a Senator today, and neither would Chris Coons or Michael Bennet.  Pat Quinn would also not be Governor of Illinois today.  I'll just say this once to my fellow Republicans, but it's your party, and you'll lose if you want to.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

The Buckley Rule clearly applies to Cruz here. Don't worry, Dewhurst will still be around... he's running for a fourth term in 2014.
I don't mean to sound rude, but how do you know?  And besides, Gov. Perry will probably not run again, so he might decide to run for governor in 2014 instead.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »

*sigh*

It's not impossible, but its not looking good for Team Dewhurst. Sad

I agree. Its a shame the TX GOP is on track to replace KBH with Ted Cruz, in my view.
I actually don't mind Cruz too much. I'm sure he'll make a fine US Senator. I just know Governor Perry, and I have met Dewhurst, which is why I'd like for him to win. At least if he loses, he'll still be Leut. Governor.
My feelings exactly.  I'm a conservative but believe that half a loaf is better than no bread.  Remember Bill Buckley: support the most conservative candidate that can win.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »

County map, anyone?

I'm a bit disappointed about Cruz winning, even if their voting records would have been similar. It's not a good situation for the Dems for the far-right to get energized (unless it would result in another Angle, O'Donnell, etc.). Also, another token minority GOPer helps them pretend they aren't anti-minority (though Cruz is Cuban which is the only minority group that has been consistently GOP).
Republicans aren't anti-minority.  I'm disappointed to because although I'm conservative, I think it sends a bad message to Republicans in other states (to keep nominating unelectable candidates to maintain ideological purity.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies