The Hill: Except for Udall, House members hedging on 2008 bids for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:30:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Except for Udall, House members hedging on 2008 bids for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Except for Udall, House members hedging on 2008 bids for Senate  (Read 2645 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2006, 03:51:49 PM »

By Aaron Blake

Three of the 10 new senators in the 110th Congress will be making a short trip across the Capitol from the House.

Add in Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), a former congressman who was appointed early this year and retained the seat last month, and it is clear that the conveyer belt from the lower to the upper chamber is fully operational.

And with the 2006 elections only a month in the past, rumors are already circulating about who could be candidates for the same ascent in 2008. Some are making their interest clear early, most are stressing their work in the new Congress first and foremost, and very few are outright dismissing the idea of running in two years.

The House members-turned-senators this year include the winner of one of the four open-seat contests, Rep. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), and the number of open seats in 2008 will weigh heavily with many potential candidates. None of the elder senators up in 2008 has bowed out and many insist they will run again.

Several potential candidates have more than $1 million on hand in their post-election financial reports, including Reps. Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John Shimkus (R-Ill.) and Mike Castle (R-Del.).

Udall declared himself a candidate more than a year ago and appears to be the only one to have made it official. But members including Reps. Artur Davis (D-Ala.), Tom Allen (D-Maine), Steve King (R-Iowa), Chip Pickering (R-Miss.) and Tom Davis (R-Va.) have been earnest about their interest in running for Senate.

Rep. Harold Ford Jr. (D-Tenn.), who is exiting the House after an unsuccessful bid to win the open Senate seat being vacated by Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), was reported in the Los Angeles Times as saying that he intends to seek the state’s other Senate seat in two years. Ford issued a release last week stating he has no such plans, but he has left the option on the table.

Most potential Senate contenders are taking a similar tack, leaving their options open but not tipping their hands, either.

Castle’s $1.2 million post-election war chest suggests he would have a head start if he were to run for Sen. Joseph Biden Jr.’s (D-Del.) seat should Biden vacate it to run for the presidency. But Castle has customarily kept about $1 million in the bank after an election and said he hasn’t given a 2008 run serious thought.

He also suggested that Biden might not vacate the seat even if he became the Democratic nominee for president, similar to Sen. Joe Lieberman’s (D-Conn.) simultaneous runs for vice president and Senate in 2000.

Castle said he doesn’t want to upset the “delicate balance” in his working relationship with Biden and expressed reservations about taking on a six-year term at his age. The former governor will be 69 in 2008.

He said he is content to wait until 2008 to make a decision, a luxury he has because of his popularity and the small state he represents: “This is my year to focus on work.”

Like Castle, Pickering did not want to cause problems by talking about a possible run for Sen. Thad Cochran’s (R-Miss.) seat should the 69-year-old retire. Cochran’s office has said the senator will decide whether to run for reelection.

Pickering did say, in general terms, that he is interested in running for Senate. “Sure; it’s something that I would consider,” said Pickering, a five-termer whose post-election cash-on-hand was $775,000, more than three times what he had after the 2004 election.

Artur Davis has been open about his interest in running against Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) in 2008 and said he should have a final decision by late spring.

He would have his work cut out for him in the solidly red state, but the New Democratic Caucus co-chairman and member of the Congressional Black Caucus said the “state is changing” and suggested Sessions could be vulnerable for the same reason many Republicans were this year — their support for President Bush.

King has been laying the fundraising and organizational groundwork for a Senate run for four years but said he is not yet in a position to make a decision on whether to run in 2008 against Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa).

King said he wanted to be sensitive to others who might be interested and declined to offer a timetable for his decision. “You know as much about it as my wife,” he said.

Allen, who was rumored to be a potential candidate to run against Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) this year, suggested his odds would be better against Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) in 2008 and said he is seriously mulling the bid.

Tom Davis has long been considered a likely candidate should Sen. John Warner (R-Va.), 79, retire, and he has said he is interested in becoming a senator. Warner has indicated he is leaning toward running for a sixth term.

Rep. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.), thought by some to be a potential challenger to Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) in 2008, said she had no plans to run for Senate but didn’t completely rule it out: “I love my job,” she said.

Rep. Tom Udall (D-N.M.) has $750,000 in the bank and could use it in the event that 74-year-old Sen. Pete Domenici (R-N.M.) retires. Spokeswoman Marissa Padilla confirmed that Udall would consider running if Domenici retires, but Domenici has said he will run again.

Shimkus’s office did not return calls seeking comment. He has built his post-election cash-on-hand from $120,000 in 2002 to $650,000 in 2004 to more than $1 million this year. But he also is facing controversy for his role in the Mark Foley page scandal as the chairman of the House Page Board, and the House ethics committee’s report, released Friday, criticizes him for not pursuing complaints against Foley aggressively enough.

http://thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Campaign/121206.html
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »

Several potential candidates have more than $1 million on hand in their post-election financial reports, including Reps. Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John Shimkus (R-Ill.) and Mike Castle (R-Del.).

Is this meant to say that Shimkus is considering running against Dick Durbin?? Hopefully he has some good friends who will talk him out of throwing his career away. He would have less of a chance of winning than Tom Allen will against Susan Collins.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 04:19:55 PM »

I have no idea why Shimkus would waste his time. I'd love for someone to beat Durbin but it just won't happen especially in a Presidential election year. Same goes for Artur Davis in Alabama.

As for Castle, I doubt that he'll run. He'll be nearly 70 years old so I don't think he'll be in the mood to risk his political career so late in life.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »

castle for senate?!?!

i can only dream!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »

Perhaps it should be titled except for Mark Udall, since his cousin Tom Udall is hedging. Interestingly, they are 1 1/2 second cousins (a pair of sisters married a pair of half brothers) with Senator Gordon Smith, who is up in 2008. Could 3 Udall cousins end up running for Senate?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 04:30:14 PM »

castle for senate?!?!

i can only dream!

I'm no fan but I'd take anyone over Joe Biden. It will be a great day when that windbag is finished.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 04:33:27 PM »

Don't worry there is always Beau Biden to succeed him. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 04:53:06 PM »

Don't worry there is always Beau Biden to succeed him. 

Well, Beau doesn't seem to be anything amazing. A big name in a state row office race, the national tide and an extremely successful Tom Carper at the top only led to a 53% - 47% win for little Biden. I have a feeling that Delaware might be getting a little tired of that family.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 05:04:42 PM »

It's not surprising.  The way the election finance laws are written, Representatives who have been able to amass a warchest have an advantage because they can transfer it over to a Senate race while other contenders have to start from scratch.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 05:30:35 PM »

IIRC, somewhere around 45 of the 100 current Senators served in the U.S. House immediately before their tenure in the Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 07:37:38 PM »

Others I'd add to the list:

Mike Ferguson (R-NJ)
Gene Taylor (D-MS) (Dream candidate)
Ben Chandler (D-KY)
Denny Rehburg (R-MT)
Henry Cuellar (D-TX)
Shelley Capito Moore (R-WV)
Deano963

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »

Um......NO. The dream candidate would be former AG Mike Moore. If Gene Taylor ran we would lose his House seat for sure, and he wouldn't have as good a chance as Moore anyways b/c he has not been elected statewide and his name is not as well known as is Moore's.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

Um......NO. The dream candidate would be former AG Mike Moore. If Gene Taylor ran we would lose his House seat for sure, and he wouldn't have as good a chance as Moore anyways b/c he has not been elected statewide and his name is not as well known as is Moore's.

I believe that was my dream candidate, I can see why liberals would be angered with this pick.  But personally I would vote for a conservative Democrat over a liberal Republican anyday.  If Taylor runs:

1.) GOP gains his House seat
2.) If he wins, more conservative Dems
3.) If he loses, Republican in power
Deano963

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 08:55:09 PM »

If Taylor runs:

Unknowingly, you just listed all of the reasons why he won't be the Democrats' nominee. Keep dreamin'. Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 08:57:35 PM »

If Taylor runs:

Unknowingly, you just listed all of the reasons why he won't be the Democrats' nominee. Keep dreamin'. Smiley

Yes, that's what dream candidate implies Smiley
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 03:01:06 AM »

Ben Chandler (D-KY)

Chandler has said he's not running.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »

Chandler could run against Bunning in 2010.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 05:29:21 PM »

Ben Chandler (D-KY)

Chandler has said he's not running.

I though he only ruled out the governor's race?
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 05:12:34 AM »

I have no idea why Shimkus would waste his time. I'd love for someone to beat Durbin but it just won't happen especially in a Presidential election year. Same goes for Artur Davis in Alabama.

As for Castle, I doubt that he'll run. He'll be nearly 70 years old so I don't think he'll be in the mood to risk his political career so late in life.

And that would be just 8 years after Delawarians (?) tossed Senator Roth out for being too old, among other things...
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 05:28:32 AM »

After his close call in a Bush district, there's no way Ferguson runs statewide in NJ.  I hope LoBiondo does, though, for the same reasons you hope Gene Taylor runs.

The House members I'm watching for potential senate jumping in 2008:

Rep. Artur Davis (D-AL)
Rep. John Boozman (R-AR)
Rep. Mark Udall (D-CO)
Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO)
Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R-CO)
Rep. Jim Marshall (D-GA)
Rep. Steve King (R-IA)
Rep. Charles Boustany (R-LA)
Rep. Marty Meehan (D-MA)
Rep. Tim Allen (D-ME)
Rep. Chip Pickering (R-MS)