Growing Hostility towards Evangelical Christians on Atlas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:51:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Growing Hostility towards Evangelical Christians on Atlas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Growing Hostility towards Evangelical Christians on Atlas  (Read 6609 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: September 20, 2021, 06:19:20 AM »

As much as I dislike Evangelical Christianity in any flavour, I don't deny to you, what some flavours deny to me.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 01:27:43 PM »

but it strikes me that there is also pushback against Evangelicals as a concept that illustrates a view of them as a political entity, fundamentally little different from any other political entity.

In the United States (Brazil, South Korea and others) that is undoubtedly the case.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 03:57:08 PM »

Xing's post is good.

Religion should not be immune from criticism, and obviously if you express religious-based beliefs that homosexuality is bad, expect as sharp a rebuke on an LGBT-heavy forum as you would if your homophobia was secular-based.  This applies to any religion.  Disliking a religion is not the same thing as say, racism.

Why is criticizing religion good, but criticizing any aspect of homosexuality automatically a "phobia" ?

Homosexuality is not an ideology or belief system.

It's use as a core identity category with specific ethical and social implications absolutely is.

Heterosexuality is equally a 'core identity category' with said implications, no?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 08:32:24 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2021, 08:36:31 AM by afleitch »

What I find interesting is that in a forum that's 40%+ LGBTQ+ (and has been for a decade of more) as well as overwhelming accepting of such traits, this forum could easily have set rules for itself, based on protecting it's membership, that excluded or outright banned conservative Christians completely for expressing contrary views.

It hasn't. If anything it's been tolerant of such views, even in appointing mods.

A strongly 'queer' space has been far more open and respectful of difference than most online or in person conservative Christian spaces.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 06:46:46 AM »

How does any of that square with;

What if that highlighted part results in Religious Schools being mandated to hire openly gay teachers who reject Scriptural teachings on Marriage and Family?

You're not 'live and let live'. Except for your own views, because you believe your religious views require the greatest of protection. What's the point of the First Amendment if it gives religion carte blanche protection to do almost anything but doesn't afford this to other ideologies or inherent traits?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies