#NeverTrump will fall in line
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:13:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump will fall in line
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: #NeverTrump will fall in line  (Read 2186 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 11:04:02 PM »

I'm not gonna fall in line either. Trump was the GOP establishment candidate period. The media chose our candidate again and that's why unless a miracle happens Hillary wins.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 12:43:44 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cruz is an elected official. Dr. Adams is a columnist who's not in the tank for Trump. Same with Shapiro. The brush is far too broad.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 05:20:20 AM »

At the very least they will just keep as silent as possible. No person that wants to have a future will openly oppose the nominee and, thus, effectively support a Democrat.

Come November #NeverTrump (as well as BernieOrBush) crowd will be very small.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, because it's impossible for people who disagree with you to have principles.   
No, it's just most people think the people listed there, the insiders, have no principles in either party. It's just he is highlighting it for the Republicans.

I really think you guys are misreading the situation.  “Doing the right thing” and “being courageous” are not the same thing.  Sometimes you can have a principled reason to do something, and that something also happens to be in your own narrow self-interest.

Many of the Republicans opposing Trump see opposing him as being perfectly aligned with their own self interest.  For starters, the majority of Republican politicians who have ruled out voting for him in November are former officials rather than current officials, so the only thing they have to worry about is their legacy.  Romney cares about how history will remember him, which is why he opposes Trump.  He doesn’t have to worry about “never being able to work again”, or whatever.

And even among those currently in office, virtually the entire party is falling all over itself providing cover for anyone who wants to oppose Trump to do so.  Many of those people opposing Trump are doing so because they think it’s the politically smart thing to do.  Trump is going to lose badly, so distancing themselves from him is, in many cases, the least bad option.  As you may recall, McConnell and other Republican leaders have been encouraging Congressional Republicans to run against Trump if necessary, to the point of even running negative ads against him if they think it would help.  McConnell and others are absolutely prepared to throw Trump under the bus:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html?_r=0

So no, I don’t think there are going to be “purges” of people who failed to support Trump.  The reverse is probably more likely.  The party will lose badly downballot, and the party failing to do more to distance itself from him will be blamed.

I’m fulling expecting that, if Trump is losing badly in October, one or more candidates in close races who’ve already endorsed him will revoke their endorsement, using Trump’s latest outrageous statement as an excuse.  It’ll be a last desperate attempt to distance themselves from him.  As I said in another thread, even party leaders like Paul Ryan might do something like that, in order to help salvage the party’s brand, though that’s probably a longshot.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 08:36:08 AM »

Well, what I am hearing from a source I trust is that yes, purges have started already. The republicans aren't going to go quietly into the night.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 09:32:48 AM »

I am tired of the narrative that reluctantly voting for Trump proves that you have no principles.  I get that Trump isn't a true conservative, but the Supreme Court is the reason these people will fall in line.  If Scalia were still alive, I would be much more willing to consider a third party.  But, if Clinton wins, Roe stands for at least 20 more years, and we can't afford that.

You honestly think that Trump would appoint a pro-life justice? He's more likely to appoint Ivanka.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »

The #NeverTrumps who won't fall in line or vote for Hillary wouldn't have voted for Rubio, Cruz or Kasich either. Trump has 1000 reasons to worry about the general, #Republicans4Hillary is not one of them.

I would.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »

The ball is in their court, I would not waste time on them. They can come around, they can play passive-aggressive, or [preferably] just go away. On one level they have shown no indication that they intend to be anything in the metaphorical locker room other than a total cancer, and on another level, despite the fact that they were well funded, they did not achieve a single goal. In fact, the reverse may have happened - they may have had a negative impact on their own goals because they contributed nothing but vitriol. They also continued to ignore the voice and will of their voters, so who needs allies like them anyway? Trump won a lot of cross-over votes, and he needs to continue on course.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »

Well, what I am hearing from a source I trust is that yes, purges have started already. The republicans aren't going to go quietly into the night.

Purges of whom by whom?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies