VA-02: DCCC close to landing strong recruit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:36:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-02: DCCC close to landing strong recruit
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-02: DCCC close to landing strong recruit  (Read 1025 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=138298&ran=235367
Sheriff McCabe, a 49 year old Navy vet, has staked out fiscally and socially conservative positions on most issues. His entrance could push this seat back into the Leans Republican column. It appears Rambo's strategy of recruiting macho men to Congress is being carried on by his successor, the more urban Rep. Chris Van Hollen.

Let's see how well the tax and spend label sticks on him!
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:54:13 PM »

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=138298&ran=235367
Sheriff McCabe, a 49 year old Navy vet, has staked out fiscally and socially conservative positions on most issues. His entrance could push this seat back into the Leans Republican column. It appears Rambo's strategy of recruiting macho men to Congress is being carried on by his successor, the more urban Rep. Chris Van Hollen.

Let's see how well the tax and spend label sticks on him!

Well Phil Kellam had a similar background to McCabe and he was barely beaten in 2006.  I wonder if this District would be harder to win in 2008, however, as it is quite Republican.

Actually, I always wondered why Kellam lost in 2006 when it was the kind of perfect storm situation for him with a Democrat like Webb beating Allen (though I'm assuming Webb lost here narrowly as well?).  Thelma Drake had won by just 55%-45% in 2004 so I assumed she was vulnerable enough?  Can anyone answer this question? 
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2007, 01:24:32 PM by brittain33 »

Well Phil Kellam had a similar background to McCabe and he was barely beaten in 2006.  I wonder if this District would be harder to win in 2008, however, as it is quite Republican.

Actually, I always wondered why Kellam lost in 2006 when it was the kind of perfect storm situation for him with a Democrat like Webb beating Allen (though I'm assuming Webb lost here narrowly as well?).  Thelma Drake had won by just 55%-45% in 2004 so I assumed she was vulnerable enough?  Can anyone answer this question? 

A story broke in fall about a past assault charge on a woman; I think the case was dismissed, it had something do with a car accident, but you do not want that kind of news coming out late in a campaign. Drake polled poorly earlier in the year but I don't believe that was a personal negative so much as her weak and recent hold on the seat. She's not from Va. Beach and stepped in late in 2004 against a third-tier Democrat so she'd never run a serious campaign district-wide.

I wouldn't say this guy represents the same background as Kellam, since Kellam was running on his family roots and experience in government financial affairs.

BTW, I suppose this means the Democrats' "Congressman McDreamy" strategy from 2006 has been retired.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »

A story broke in fall about a past assault charge on a woman; I think the case was dismissed, it had something do with a car accident, but you do not want that kind of news coming out late in a campaign. Drake polled poorly earlier in the year but I don't believe that was a personal negative so much as her weak and recent hold on the seat. She's not from Va. Beach and stepped in late in 2004 against a third-tier Democrat so she'd never run a serious campaign district-wide.

I wouldn't say this guy represents the same background as Kellam, since Kellam was running on his family roots and experience in government financial affairs.

BTW, I suppose this means the Democrats' "Congressman McDreamy" strategy from 2006 has been retired.

Mr. McDreamy types did win in IN-08 and NY-24. It could also be argued Ms. McDreamy types won in AZ-08 and NY-20.

Anyways, this Sherriff has the right kind of macho persona to carry this military centered district. The 2006 House results showed that when Democrats nominate women agaisnt Republican incumbents in swing districts, the GOP incumbent will nearly always win.  When the Democrats run macho Democrats (think Heath Shuler and Brad Ellsworth), the Republican lost.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »

Mr. McDreamy types did win in IN-08 and NY-24. It could also be argued Ms. McDreamy types won in AZ-08 and NY-20.

Of course. I'm just saying, it seemed like a big theme of recruitment last year, and this guy, well, different appeal.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:56:59 PM »

The assault story almost certainly cost Kellam the election. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:40:34 PM »

He also ran a crappy, DC consultant-led campaign. That didn't help.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies