VA: Tim Kaine raised 2.25 Mio. $ in second quarter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA: Tim Kaine raised 2.25 Mio. $ in second quarter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA: Tim Kaine raised 2.25 Mio. $ in second quarter  (Read 1116 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:07:34 AM »

In the first quarter of fundraising for his 2012 U.S. Senate bid, Democrat Timothy M. Kaine has raised $2.25 million, his campaign reports.

The figure marks a strong start for Kaine's campaign, which was already $1.5 million behind fellow former governor and Republican opponent George Allen's when Kaine entered the race in early April.

Allen's second-quarter figures are not yet available, a spokeswoman said Monday, and neither were figures for Republican candidate Jamie Radtke, who raised $55,000 in the first quarter.

Tim Donner, a Northern Virginia television production company owner seeking the GOP nomination, has raised $206,000 since entering the race two months ago. Of that total, $115,000 was self-funded.

Finance reports are due to the Federal Elections Commission by July 15.

Larry Sabato, a political scientist and director of the University of Virginia's Center for Politics, called Kaine's numbers "a good start for what will be a ridiculously expensive campaign."

As one of the nation's marquee 2012 races, Sabato estimated that the frontrunners' would need between $20 million to $30 million, including money raised through outside groups.

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2011/jul/05/tdmet01-kaine-raises-225-million-toward-2012-ar-1151873/
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »

Wow, that really puts the Republican presidential candidate's crappy fundraising into perspective.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »

Allen is overestimated on this forum.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:38:34 PM »

I for one welcome Senator President Kaine.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:41:25 PM »

What were the comparable numbers for '06? Regardless, they're still tied in the polls and will be until E-Day.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »

What were the comparable numbers for '06? Regardless, they're still tied in the polls and will be until E-Day.

Because of macaca, there are no comparable numbers.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »

Webb didn't actually get into the race until February of 2006.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »

While this is all well and good, George Allen and every other Republican in the nation will have plenty of shady independent expenditures to make up any edge Democratic candidates may have in candidate vs. candidate fundraising.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »

What is the date for the Virgnia 2012 senate primary?

June 5.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »

I don't think so.  The polls show an even race, we have to take that as the situation.  Plus, isn't it a base assumption that Republicans will raise money, especially in swing states with tight races?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »

I don't think so.  The polls show an even race, we have to take that as the situation.  Plus, isn't it a base assumption that Republicans will raise money, especially in swing states with tight races?

The money and current poll standings had little to do with my comment. Allen is a discredited racist who will not return to the Senate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »

Allen is a discredited racist who will not return to the Senate.

See, I agree with your end result: Allen will lose.  But, I disagree that he is discredited.  People still like him.  He has a base, and that matters.  People see a close race, so they give him money and support.  I don't think he is overestimated - I think you are overestimating my fellow Virginians.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »

By Election Day 2006, pretty much all of Virginia knew about the Macaca incident and he still received over 49% of the vote. Though Obama will increase Democratic turnout in Virginia, the environment for Allen won't be nearly as tough as it was in 2006, and the issue on most voter's minds is the economy, not a comment a candidate made 6 years ago.

It'll also be beneficial to Allen to have Bob McDonnell campaigning for him, who has a very high job approval rating in the state.

Not necessarily saying Allen is a lock for this, but I certainly wouldn't call him DOA either.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »

Isaac's thinking is similar to mine, in terms of the impact of Macaca.  Kaine won't focus on Macaca.  Instead, he'll hit Allen on other things, and hope Obama can carry him over the top.  Kaine was a fairly successful Governor, and that helps him.  Likewise, the boom in NOVA, along with NOVA getting more Democratic, is a huge deal.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »

Allen is guaranteed to get about 48% of the vote. So is Kaine. They're going to be fighting over 4% of the electorate for the next 16 months.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies