What Happens if You Give Teens Free Birth Control? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:37:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What Happens if You Give Teens Free Birth Control? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Happens if You Give Teens Free Birth Control?  (Read 2174 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

« on: October 04, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »

...and if we gave everyone free food, no one would go hungry.

It's your job to understand the micro/macro forces at play, determine why free contraceptives aren't already provided to everyone in the u-24 demographic, and where we spend most of our public health funds.

You'll soon realize that the moral-purity-movement has nothing to do with it.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »

...and if we gave everyone free food, no one would go hungry.

Now there's an idea. You and your kin will argue against it, though.

It's your job to understand the micro/macro forces at play, determine why free contraceptives aren't already provided to everyone in the u-24 demographic, and where we spend most of our public health funds.

It's not a matter of funding, it's a matter of people literally saying that giving teen girls free birth control is a bad idea.

You'll soon realize that the moral-purity-movement has nothing to do with it.

Incorrect.

The fundamentalist right-wing echo chamber is not the reason for anything, other than bad rhetoric. Free contraceptives are not available as a matter of public policy because the government is more interested in spending money on people who can vote or who will vote. Contraceptive methods are also very personal, and they are available almost everywhere for extraordinarily low cost.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »

Exactly.  That's the Republican mentality.  It reminds me of Kohlberg's theory of Moral development.  Republicans are stuck in the adolescent stage of moral development (stage 4).

What should we say then about liberals who believe people should be financially punished for making money?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »

It says a lot about conservatives' attitudes toward government that they think paying taxes is a form of punishment.

The same could be said for people who believe children or being required to buy your own contraception is a form of punishment. Actually, I think conservatives have a much stronger argument in this case.

If the government used tax dollars for economic productivity perhaps the situation would be different, but the money is burned in the bonfire of "social justice".
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »

A little of my taxpayer dollars that are paying for the trillions of dollars of the military-industrial complex, including the $20 billion a year more that Congress spends than even the Pentagon wanted, can go to the far far far cheaper birth control that will actually save money by not having so many unwanted babies.

Lets take that $20 billion, and pay for free birth control in every 3rd world country.

Defense is constitutionally enumerated, and it's one of the few entitlements with a proven track record of economic productivity. It built the post-war middle class. It produced many of the engineers and medical professionals that gave the US a stem advantage. For some reason, we continue to cut the military and all productivity spending relative to GDP.

I'm all for contraceptives in the 3rd world, but they won't do much without someone teaching/forcing people to use them.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »

For the vast, vast majority of human history involving government, that has been the case. If you want to argue it no longer is that's fine but don't pretend like it's outrageous to believe that taxation is generally a negative force.

It's not a belief. It's observational science.

Taxes create massive dead-weight loss, which must be offset with economic productivity. Unfortunately, the liberal-wing of the Democratic Party rejects observational science, and they use the money for moral pursuits, like purchasing a constituency.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 02:15:07 PM »

Yeah, it's such a shame that someone making $800,000 a year is only making around $400,000 after taxes. I can't imagine how they survive after such a punishment! Sad

We don't need further confirmation that liberals are smitten with their arrested development.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »

This one reminds me of my friend... when unable to contribute anything to do with the actual topic, they swing it back to what they feel comfortable to talk about.

I didn't start the conversation about arrested psychological development and wanton morality. I will; however, force Democrats to realize they are just as bad, if not worse, than the right-wing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies