2020 Poll Hype Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:21:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Poll Hype Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 99
Author Topic: 2020 Poll Hype Thread  (Read 191275 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: September 02, 2020, 01:25:47 PM »

New Fox News poll later today apparently

According to Nate Silver, Fox will be releasing state polls tonight.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1026 on: September 02, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »

New Fox News poll later today apparently

According to Nate Silver, Fox will be releasing state polls tonight.

Omnomnom
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1027 on: September 02, 2020, 04:56:38 PM »

If UNH's previous releases are anything to go by, we should get presidential and congressional numbers tomorrow for NH.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1028 on: September 02, 2020, 05:01:15 PM »

I have a busy day tomorrow so I might have to miss the Atlas meltdown that comes with this one.

Granite City
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.39, S: -2.61

« Reply #1029 on: September 02, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »

Last month, we had an extremely good poll for Biden from Monmouth in PA followed by something more tepid from them in GA and IA.

There’s no reason to expect the reverse to occur with NC tomorrow but I would like to see the amusing reaction from the forum.

To the more knowledgable polling gurus: is it actually a bad thing for a polling firm to be releasing seemingly contradictory polling? This would seem to be a sign of normal sampling error but “BOTH SIDES” (sorry, but for this it seems pretty accurate) seem to use it as an excuse to brush off polls and then ignore it when it’s favourable.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1030 on: September 02, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »

Last month, we had an extremely good poll for Biden from Monmouth in PA followed by something more tepid from them in GA and IA.

There’s no reason to expect the reverse to occur with NC tomorrow but I would like to see the amusing reaction from the forum.

To the more knowledgable polling gurus: is it actually a bad thing for a polling firm to be releasing seemingly contradictory polling? This would seem to be a sign of normal sampling error but “BOTH SIDES” (sorry, but for this it seems pretty accurate) seem to use it as an excuse to brush off polls and then ignore it when it’s favourable.

It's not a bad thing at all.  Polls *will* vary around the actual result, and an occasional one will be a wild outlier.  This is an inescapable occurrence in sampling.  An honest pollster releases whatever results they get, unless they find that something was flawed in their methodology (I've seen that happen at least once).  This demonstrates that they're not herding.  

I also recall a poll in the last cycle from one of the high quality pollsters (Monmouth, I think) that was an obvious outlier.  They released it anyway, but included a caveat to the effect of "we think this is an outlier, but it's what we got, so take it for what it's worth."
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1031 on: September 02, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1032 on: September 02, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »

Atlas spirit animal
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1033 on: September 02, 2020, 05:49:21 PM »

I have a busy day tomorrow so I might have to miss the Atlas meltdown that comes with this one.

Will be interesting to see how this compares with the Fox News poll.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1034 on: September 02, 2020, 05:53:07 PM »

Will be interesting to see how this compares with the Fox News poll.

Going by the past polls from Monmouth they probably take a cop-out and put out a tie.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1035 on: September 02, 2020, 06:36:23 PM »

Atlas spirit animal

He's easily the best of the pundits by virtue of not being a so argumentative
republican1993
« Reply #1036 on: September 02, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »

i'm getting nervous joe biden got this locked up :/ ugh i hope NC is a good poll for trump tomorrow, NC needs to be locked up for trump soon.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1037 on: September 02, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »

i'm getting nervous joe biden got this locked up :/ ugh i hope NC is a good poll for trump tomorrow, NC needs to be locked up for trump soon.

It's ok I heard Trafalgar and Rassmussen are about to swoop in and mess up the average.
Buzz

« Reply #1038 on: September 02, 2020, 10:28:11 PM »

I’m gonna say the Monmouth NC poll shows
Biden 47
Trump 46
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1039 on: September 02, 2020, 10:47:16 PM »

It's not a bad thing at all.  Polls *will* vary around the actual result, and an occasional one will be a wild outlier.  This is an inescapable occurrence in sampling.  An honest pollster releases whatever results they get, unless they find that something was flawed in their methodology (I've seen that happen at least once).  This demonstrates that they're not herding.  

I also recall a poll in the last cycle from one of the high quality pollsters (Monmouth, I think) that was an obvious outlier.  They released it anyway, but included a caveat to the effect of "we think this is an outlier, but it's what we got, so take it for what it's worth."

With Monmouth, the issue (for Atlas at least) is that their sample sizes are usually small, making them prone to large but ultimately statistically insignificant swings due to high margins of error that are even higher for subsamples.

Polls traditionally have a 95% confidence level (some are higher, some lower, this is usually noted in the methodology section) meaning that out of 20 methodologically equivalent polls that one pollster produces, one is likely to be an outlier. This isn’t distributed evenly, so it’s certainly possible that a pollster can put two outliers out in a row, and then 38 non-outliers, or some other combination of the ratio.

With regards to one pollster putting out contradictory numbers, there’s a lot going on there. The only true way to produce separate polls of PA and NC that would be indicative of the same national environment would be to use the exact same methodology for both of them down to a T (sampling frames, field dates, vendors, etc), have representative samples for both, and use the same post-stratification weights. And both would still be vulnerable to MOE and other systemic polling error. Many pollsters go to great lengths to make these accommodations, but public pollsters often have to cut corners because of costs.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1040 on: September 03, 2020, 05:39:20 AM »

Considering now we've had subpar Monmouth polls for Joe ever since that original PA+13 poll, I'm gonna assume the worst here. Their samples have been terrible for GA, IA, and now PA
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1041 on: September 03, 2020, 05:45:02 AM »

I’m gonna say the Monmouth NC poll shows
Biden 47
Trump 46

Going one further, I wouldn't be shocked if it showed a Trump +X result. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1042 on: September 03, 2020, 10:24:27 AM »

FL and PA Q-pac incoming today
Buzz

« Reply #1043 on: September 03, 2020, 10:30:31 AM »

FL +6 Biden
PN +9 Biden

Q Pac predictions
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1044 on: September 03, 2020, 10:32:08 AM »

I don't think Panama is ready to go to Biden yet, but it all depend on how Costa Rica trends. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1045 on: September 03, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »

I'm sure the FL poll will certainly come down back to earth though from their last +13 Biden one
forza nocta

« Reply #1046 on: September 03, 2020, 11:00:39 AM »

The Florida Q poll will be like Biden +5 or 6 after that massive +13 outlier, and people will start screaming about "tightening" again Unamused
tagimaucia

« Reply #1047 on: September 03, 2020, 01:02:58 PM »

I think Quinnipiac is a mostly fine pollster, and they have a pretty good track record in other states like Texas, but I won't pay any attention to their FL polls.  I don't know what the deal is, but even in the years when they got close to the final result (unlike 2018), their results are way too volatile and swingy from poll to poll in FL to be taken seriously.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1048 on: September 04, 2020, 10:02:03 AM »

There is a significant difference in averages of rcp 538 and this site:

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Sep04.html

Then there is the one on this site:

https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2020/polls.php

All of them have Biden leading but some have it as close and others not so close.

Yet, RCP has a no tossup map where the prediction is 352-186 for Biden.

They could end up being right or coming close, although I am not confident yet
about NC and OH.

One of the keys to understanding the differences is which polls are possible outliers
Trafalgar is usually higher for Trump and Rasmussen is certainly not in line with the other polls either.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1049 on: September 07, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »

A WI-Marquette poll will be released in two days.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies