What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:16:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 635680 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:54 AM »

Annie Hall

While Star Wars was the better movie, Allen's career deserved his only award for Best Directing more than Lucas.  Both forgot what a good movie was after the 80s ended so it's kinda even.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 12:47:45 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2011, 12:49:24 AM by Citizen King »

Half Nelson

Pretty good.  A nice old school 90s style indie movie in a 21st century world where indie = Hollywood scripts written by different group of nerds.  

It's a shame Ryan Gosling's biggest box office film is The Notebook.  This guy has immense talent that not everybody knows about.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 04:25:37 AM »

Half Nelson

Pretty good.  A nice old school 90s style indie movie in a 21st century world where indie = Hollywood scripts written by different group of nerds.  

It's a shame Ryan Gosling's biggest box office film is The Notebook.  This guy has immense talent that not everybody knows about.

I agree with all of that. Have you seen The Believer?

No.  I'll be sure to add it to my Netflix queue.  Fracture, The Notebook (which was decent for the genre), and Blue Valentine are all I've seen, but I can definitely see a good actor in them.

I was worried with Fracture that he was going to flame out by teaming up with Anthony Hopkins like Ed Norton did (who most recently portrayed the brilliant Cop #1 in The Invention of Lying). But it turned it out pretty good.  He reminds me of Norton in a lot of ways. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:27 AM »

Yeah, I heard he sings (well, he sings in Blue Valentine).

I recommend it as well as Fracture.  At face value, Fracture is kinda just a dumb thriller that tries too hard to be unpredictable, but all the great performances create the suspension of disbelief necessary to make it really good.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »

The Room.

As entertaining and as crappy as ever.

If you haven't seen it, get your friends together and have a group viewing.

You're tearing me apart, bullmoose.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »

Brazil

Hasn't aged well at all. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:29 PM »

The 1980s were just one blind cliche action movie.

It wasn't until the 1990s that they got back to dealing with real world dilemmas that the 1970s left them with.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »

127 Hours

It was very good.  If anything, the production should be applauded for somehow managing to make a feature film out of itself. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 01:51:49 AM »

The Runaways.

It was pretty solid, even if the story was predictable and obvious where it is was going (even if it's a true story, it's still a cliche.) I wished Dakota Fanning didn't look hot in it, that's just wrong and made me feel dirty. Part of me also wonders what Joan Jett and Cherie Curie would think of having two girls from Twilight portray them...they did a very solid cover of Cherry Bomb though. (Granted it's on record that Kirsten Stewart at least personally hates Twilight.)

Both of them were fine with it. Cherie Curie even called Dakota Fanning her "favorite actress".

Plus, it's hard to fault child/teen actors for crap parts like the Twilight movies.  You take whatever work you can to jumpstart your career.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »

The Runaways.

It was pretty solid, even if the story was predictable and obvious where it is was going (even if it's a true story, it's still a cliche.) I wished Dakota Fanning didn't look hot in it, that's just wrong and made me feel dirty. Part of me also wonders what Joan Jett and Cherie Curie would think of having two girls from Twilight portray them...they did a very solid cover of Cherry Bomb though. (Granted it's on record that Kirsten Stewart at least personally hates Twilight.)

Both of them were fine with it. Cherie Curie even called Dakota Fanning her "favorite actress".

Plus, it's hard to fault child/teen actors for crap parts like the Twilight movies.  You take whatever work you can to jumpstart your career.

How about Hailee Steinfeld?

Well, sometmes the whatever you can take happens to be a good move.  She would've taken a Dsney channel role f the opportunty presented tself.

My "" key sn't workng.  Hmmm...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

Lars and the Real Girl

Good movie for Valentines Day lol.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 08:45:43 PM »

King's Speech. Solid, but I wasn't THAT impressed. Probably the weakest  out of the BP nominees that I've seen.

Academy Purple heart British accents.

The only thing that bothered me about the film is that you could see that Colin Firth was obviously wear soft contacts when reading his speech.  King or not, I don't think those existed back then.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »

The Kids Are Allright.

Probably my least favourite of the Best Picture nominees I've seen so far. Still pretty good.

That one felt like shameless Oscarbait to me.  So did the King's Speech, but I liked it a lot more.  Not sure why.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »

The Kids Are Allright.

Probably my least favourite of the Best Picture nominees I've seen so far. Still pretty good.

We watched the first half hour or so of that movie, then shut it off because it wasn't very interesting.

That's the only one of the ten that I haven't bothered to watch.

Lesbian artists still haven't quite figured out how to get womens' issues into the mainstream without seeming pretentious and dull.  Maybe one day they'll figure it out.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 02:26:51 PM »

It's a really weird thing, how even a movie not directly about WWII sees some need to promote the cult of Churchill, even by 100% reversing his IRL stances.

Great movie if you can get past that.

Churchill was Britain's only source of comic relief until the invention of Monty Python.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:45 PM »

The King's Speech.

Did not approve of some of the language, but overall a very good movie, intriguing story line, brilliantly acted.

Historically factual.

Actually, there were some major aspects of it that weren't correct in that regard.

The major premise of the movie, however, was factual, the stammer of George VI and the treatment received from Lionel Logue in overcoming it.

In Inglourious Basterds, the Nazis were bad and the Allies killed them. 100% factual film.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »

The Town

Very over the top but pretty damn entertaining. It probably should have been nominated.

Yes.  At least Renner got one.  They should of also gotten an original screenplay nomination at the least.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »

Renner was kind of boring, he was just a generic tough guy type character. I thought Jon Hamm gave an impressive performance but didn't stand out because his character was a bit shallow and one-dimensional.

The movie was entirely plot-based not character and IMO why it should have garnered an original screenplay nomination although that lot is pretty packed.   If it were an adapted, it definitely would have made it over 127 Hours--which was entirely built on James Franco's performance.

While Renner didn't have a mindblowing great performance, it at least gives The Town some recognition at the ceremony.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »

Oh and I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop.  Pretty good.  Kind of inspiring to see how a completely talentless hack could make it big in the arts.  NOTE: I know that happens all the time, but it's interesting to see HOW it happens.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 12:56:38 AM »

Renner was kind of boring, he was just a generic tough guy type character. I thought Jon Hamm gave an impressive performance but didn't stand out because his character was a bit shallow and one-dimensional.

To me Hamm was the boring tough guy. I enjoyed Renner a lot. I certainly enjoyed him a lot more than I did in the very overrated film that won Best Picture last time.

Jon Hamm played it like he was told to do an Aaron Eckhart impersonation because he turned them down or something.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 02:09:14 AM »

Winter's Bone.  Kinda sad, but good.  In terms of award nominations, think The Town and Blue Valentine were better.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »

Recently went on a Shakespeare run on netflix
Richard III- the 1930's themed Ian McKellan
Hamlet- 1944 Olivier version
Macbeth- the BBC Patrick Stewart/ Stalinist inspired one
Henry V- Kenneth Branagh version

Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet is the best movie version of that play.

Oddly, he's directing that horrible looking Thor movie.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »

Limitless

Not bad.  Definitely just a popcorn flick, but a good one.

The most interesting thing is finding out later that professional frat boy and romcom interest Bradley Cooper has hipster taste in movies.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »

Source Code and The Lincoln Lawyer.  Two great movies made just ok by horrible endings.  The latter much more so with the most confusing third act I've ever watched.

Both of them are definitely worth a rent, however.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 12:26:52 AM »

Ok...so far Ten Commandments is pretty damn awesome.

It's pretty good.  I imagine the damn awesome part is due to Your Highness being the most current definition of "movie" in your subconscious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies